Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 12:42 AM
usually their accounts are some babble like "fhjhfdsj" and on fed side

however today i got gold spam tells from what appeared to be an actual legit account on my Klingon character. Not only was the name not babble but they usually dont get far enough to spam klingon.

hijacked account used for spamming maybe?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 01:04 AM
first of all: its stupid to think that goldseller would read this...

they have no interest in the game or the feelings of the players. their only interest is making rl-money, and this works. out there are always people with much money and less time and brain, so they will never run out of customers.

only way to get rid of goldfarmers is to report them and to change the practics of trial accounts.

trial accounts should not be able to use any ingame communication instead of listening to others, nor selling anything on open market.

so a goldseller would have to use real accounts, which also costs them real money- and the chance to lose a acc is always there.

as long as spamming accs cost nothing, gold is cheap. as soon goldselling isnt making any profit bc of higher costs, they will disappear.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 02:18 AM
i actually reply to them

its usually expletives or something along the lines of "why dont you go....... " you get the drift

it probably gets ignored.

i then block them/report spam

and I feel better!

But yes, it is annoying, there is no need for it, but its the curse of every MMO out there.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadera
I, too, am astonished that the Admins and Devs are permitting this to continue. Zone chat is a total gold & power leveling spam forum now. I get in-game mail and tells. And it just doesn't stop and we can't seem to get any sort of attention on the issue.

I've also been seeing character and ship names that are seriously over the line, as well as behavior that ought to get people banned... or at least warned.

In most games, in-game shannanigans was a sure way to put one's account at risk -- but I don't even see a reporting mechanism. "Ignoring" the spammers, and the miscreants, one by one, is no way to run a game if you expect anyone to behave.
I doubt that the developers are really allowing gold farming to occur. As one of the previous posters mentioned, the free play period is ending for non-subscibers and I bet the hammer starts dropping as soon as all of those accounts are gone.

The easiest way to remove the annoying spams from the game is to actually set up a market the players can use to trade resources and characters for real money. The developers would take a small cut of each micro transaction, so it's a revenue stream for the developers. Players would be certain that they would actually receive what they were paying for and wouldn't have their accounts hacked.

Some MMO is going to do this one day and they wil be amazed that all the gold farmer spams just *poof* disappear.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boncourage
I doubt that the developers are really allowing gold farming to occur. As one of the previous posters mentioned, the free play period is ending for non-subscibers and I bet the hammer starts dropping as soon as all of those accounts are gone.

The easiest way to remove the annoying spams from the game is to actually set up a market the players can use to trade resources and characters for real money. The developers would take a small cut of each micro transaction, so it's a revenue stream for the developers. Players would be certain that they would actually receive what they were paying for and wouldn't have their accounts hacked.

Some MMO is going to do this one day and they wil be amazed that all the gold farmer spams just *poof* disappear.
You mean like Sony's Station Exchange?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRitter
usually their accounts are some babble like "fhjhfdsj" and on fed side

however today i got gold spam tells from what appeared to be an actual legit account on my Klingon character. Not only was the name not babble but they usually dont get far enough to spam klingon.

hijacked account used for spamming maybe?
When it looks like a legit account name, it probably is, or was, some fool thought buying money and/or giving their account name and password to these people was a good idea, now they lose their account because its being used to continue the scam. Saw the same thing in ****, players I spoke to, teamed with and who were running about as players suddenly stop doing anything but stand there spamming the general area and chat channels with a typical gold spam advert, its really sad to see because you know the owner got scammed and the only thing the devs are likely to do is ban the account. Though honestly the account owner should be more concerned about the credit and identity theft scams which are soon to occur after giving fraudsters their payment info....

But when you think these people were funding something illegal, you don't care so much anymore and use the mute/report functions, the only good gold spammer is a banned one after all.

The only reason these scams continue is because of those who buy in to the scam, but who would pay $312 to power level in STO after some people got there legitimately in about a week anyway??