Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
The "Techie" trait has this as its description:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Techie
Space Trait. Improves your engineering stat, which increases the effectiveness of maintenance, repair, and performance powers.

Techie
Innate
+10 Starship Engineering Training

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the problem - the description of the trait does not seem to match the actual effect. The "Starship Engineering Training" skill seems to have nothing to do with either repair or maintenance.

In fact, here's the description of the "Starship Engineering Training" skill:

Starship Engineering Training
Starship engineering skill

This skill improves starship system performance abilities.

Examples include:
Rotate Shield Frequency
Eject Warp Plasma

Now, it says "examples includes", but as far as I can tell the only skills or abilities that actually make use of the Starship Engineering Training skill are the two examples given in the description: Rotate Shield Frequency and Eject Warp Plasma. And Rotate Shield Frequency is an Engineering character (not bridge officer) only ability. So, for anyone who chose a career in something other than engineering, the Starship Engineering Training skill only improves the "Eject Warp Plasma" bridge officer ability.

So if all the "Techie" trait does for non-engineers is give the player a +10 to the Eject Warp Plasma ability by way of improving the Starship Engineering Training skill by 10 points.. well, that's pretty darn disappointing. Is that really how it works?

Something of note: a patch that was released in the last month of beta mentioned that the Starship Engineering Training skill now helps improve cloaking. However, this is not mentioned anywhere on the tool-tip of the Starship Engineering Training skill itself, which in turn makes me wonder if any other information is missing.

The Starship Engineering Training skill is one of the Tier 1 skills, which are supposed to be very general in their nature. However, this skill seems to be very specific in what it actually modifies. That just seems off. And if the "Techie" trait really only provides a "+10 Starship Engineering Training" benefit, and doesn't actually benefit any of the repair and maintenance mumbo-jumbo flavor listed in the description, then that trait is nowhere near as useful as I thought it was. And based on some of the confused threads I've read on this topic I don't think I'm alone on this.

So, what's the real deal? Does anyone have any solid facts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Anyone have any ideas? I've read a few comments in the past that were very general (and were never paired with any proof), such as "..Starship Engineering Training is a T1 skill and improves all your BO's engineering skills..", but without any solid evidence that seems to be little more than wishful thinking on the player's part.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I know for a fact that Starship Engineering Training improves Directed Energy Modulation and the Auxiliary Power to X abilities. I suspect that it affects Reverse Shield Polarity, Aceton Field and perhaps Extend Shields, but haven't tested to confirm. I know it does not affect the Emergency Power to X abilities, which means anyone not in a cruiser won't see much benefit from the Techie trait or Starship Engineering Training.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Starship engineering training is the base skill contributor to all engineering space powers. From what I can tell, it contributes a little to every space engineering ability that I use.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen42 View Post
I know for a fact that Starship Engineering Training improves Directed Energy Modulation and the Auxiliary Power to X abilities. I suspect that it affects Reverse Shield Polarity, Aceton Field and perhaps Extend Shields, but haven't tested to confirm. I know it does not affect the Emergency Power to X abilities, which means anyone not in a cruiser won't see much benefit from the Techie trait or Starship Engineering Training.
You know for a fact? How exactly? No offense, but I'd like to see some proof if you're interested in providing it. All you need to do is go into the game, press "P", find the powers you mentioned and select them. You'll get a dialogue telling you exactly which skills modify each of the abilities you mentioned. Is "Starship Engineering Training" actually listed among them? I think you're going to find that the answer is "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Starship engineering training is the base skill contributor to all engineering space powers. From what I can tell, it contributes a little to every space engineering ability that I use.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I see a comment like this one every time this ability gets questioned, and yet no actual proof is provided beyond what's basically boiling down to someone's gut feeling. Don't take this the wrong way, but there can be a very important difference between how someone assumes a skill works based on logical deduction and how it actually works. Especially in this game. That's not so much a flaw on the player's part as it is a problem with poor documentation.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I found that it does help my repair in combat or other wise because when i was tier 1 my hull repaired think 13% in combate and 110% out of combate mind u this is without the trait and with the skill maxed out. now with the skill maxed out as above and with the trait it gave me this. 20% somthing to that effect in combat and 120+% while out of combat now know its not much but do you know how many ships I have killed with just 1% Hull remaining alot.

Now on my main Whos rear admiral lvl 1 I get about 3% hull repair during combat out of combat i get 5 to 10% hull repair
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99991 View Post
I found that it does help my repair in combat or other wise because when i was tier 1 my hull repaired think 13% in combate and 110% out of combate mind u this is without the trait and with the skill maxed out. now with the skill maxed out as above and with the trait it gave me this. 20% somthing to that effect in combat and 120+% while out of combat now know its not much but do you know how many ships I have killed with just 1% Hull remaining alot.

Now on my main Whos rear admiral lvl 1 I get about 3% hull repair during combat out of combat i get 5 to 10% hull repair
edit: Let me check something..
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
To the OP:

http://theenginescannaetakeit.wordpr...basics/#skills

This is a link to a very good article of how skills work in STO.

Basically, "Starship Engineering Training" is a skill that effects certain specific abilities either by magnitude, duration or both. I am not sure how many abilites yet, but it's probably quite a few. All the Techie trait does is add a +10 bonus to that skill that on top of what is gained through other means (skill points, consoles, etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasran
Basically, "Starship Engineering Training" is a skill that effects certain specific abilities either by magnitude, duration or both. I am not sure how many abilites yet, but it's probably quite a few. All the Techie trait does is add a +10 bonus to that skill that on top of what is gained through other means (skill points, consoles, etc.)
From what I can tell, it (that is, the Starship Engineering Training skill) only appears to modify a single bridge officer skill (Eject Warp Plasma) and a single Engineer-career Captain space ability (Rotate Shield Frequency). It does also seem to have an effect on hull repair rate. I'm doing a test on that now to sort that part out, though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99991 View Post

Ok, I did some quick tests. The base hull repair rate (out of combat) is 60% on a brand new character, and 10% while in combat. If that character has the "Techie" trait, the hull repair rate climbs to to 66.0% (the 10% bonus to Starship Engineering Training from the Techie trait modifying the base 60% hull repair rate), and 11% in combat.

That number rises from 66.6% o.o.c. / 11% i.c. to 69.6% / 11.6% with 100 skill points invested in the Starship Engineering Training skill (6% from the skill itself + 10% from the trait modifying the skill for a total of a 16% improvement).

At 700 points invested, combined with Techie, you end up with 76.2% o.o.c. / 12.7 % i.c.

So far, the only stats proven to be modified by Techie and Starship Engineering Training are:
  • Eject Warp Plasma (BO skill) < assuming you plan on taking this.
  • Rotate Shield Frequency < engineer-only player ability, completely useless to science or tactical captains.
  • Your ships "Hull Repair Rate" < useful for everyone.
  • Improves cloaking < if we are to believe the beta patch notes, useful only for the klingon-faction.

So, for non-engineer Federation players, we're mostly focusing on the Hull Repair Rate. The maximum benefit here you can get from the Techie trait and a maxed (shudder) Starship Engineering Training is an additional 28%. In the case of our light cruiser, that bumps the Hull Repair Rate from 60% / 10% to 76.8% / 12.8%.