Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Personally, I agree, that they shouldn't call them raidisodes.

Words have different meanings for different contexts. The word "raid" has now been long established as an MMO term to denote an encounter requiring more than just a number of players whose sum is greater than that normally found in a group in the game. Wow certainly wasnt the first game to use this word in this definition. The term was coined well before it, so people can't blame wow for its use.

But, if Cryptic want to be "rebellious" and break away from established concepts, its their perogative. They just look odd for doing so.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
This isn't WoW.

You say 5 people doesn't equal a raid, well, maybe that ls why they are calling them RAIDISODES and not RAIDS.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
From what I have heard in various interviews, GOZER is apparently responsible for the term "Raidisode".

It kinda hurts my ears a bit, but since I feel that GOZER comes off as a nice guy (who incidentally took days off of woking on STO to play Mass Effect 2 at launch - lol), I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with the term.

I suppose it would be up to him to come and explain how he came up with the term, but my best guess would be that since the missions in the game are broken into "episodes" and that the new End-Content Borg Stuff absolutely REQUIRES a group of 5 players, that would effectively make it a Raid.

So.. RAID + Episode = Raidisode

So be it. I am looking forward to it. I just saw the Trailer on the French splash page and it looks good. I also know a bit of a spoiler about it, but I won't tell about that... that would ruin the fun. I myself, being on Lt 8 atm, won't be there for some time, but I do hope it works well and is fun for those who are chomping at the bit to get it up and going.

Cheers!
Knows_Less_Than_He_Pretends_To_Canuck ...errr
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital3lf View Post
Fleet Actions are more of a "raid", and appropriately named. Sure, it would be cool if they came up with a more trek-like name for high end, high difficulty, missions. Suggestions?
How about Special Operations.

I was going to go for Suicide Mission but I doubt they'd want Fox News saying that they're condoning suicide ha.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Raidisode works better than Epiraid. My definition of raid means greater than a normal sized group. Raids are a huge waste of time in my book, so I don't like the term. No doubt some sales guy came up with the term for obvious reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
This isn't WoW.

You say 5 people doesn't equal a raid, well, maybe that ls why they are calling them RAIDISODES and not RAIDS.
And this aint EQ or UO either. So what's your point? You do realise that the term "raid" was established in MMO's well before WoW don't you?

You might as well call them Bernard-isodes for what its worth because Cryptics use of the word does indeed fly in the face of the established definition used in many other games. In short, Cryptic have b-astardised an established term just to create a marketing "buzzword", which to some people makes them look a little silly.

They could have just stuck with calling them "group-centric episodes" and no one would have battered an eyelid.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_2099 View Post
I suppose it would be up to him to come and explain how he came up with the term, but my best guess would be that since the missions in the game are broken into "episodes" and that the new End-Content Borg Stuff absolutely REQUIRES a group of 5 players, that would effectively make it a Raid.

So.. RAID + Episode = Raidisode
True, especially since I just don't think Dungeon or Dungeonisode would work in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoojo
Raidisode works better than Epiraid. My definition of raid means greater than a normal sized group. Raids are a huge waste of time in my book, so I don't like the term. No doubt some sales guy came up with the term for obvious reasons.
The more I think about it, I really like Special Operations.
  • It fits with the military structure of Starfleet
  • It implies that this is dangerous and very hard to do
  • It goes along with the fleet concept as there are special ops groups. Your fleet name is just a codename for your spec ops force
  • It implies that this isn't for the normal (non-player) captain and needs a special touch
  • It also shows how important to the war the mission is
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanten View Post
  • It goes along with the fleet concept as there are special ops groups. Your fleet name is just a codename for your spec ops force
  • It implies that this isn't for the normal (non-player) captain and needs a special touch
Oh that's a nice term for them, and it stays in context too
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
And this aint EQ or UO either. So what's your point? You do realise that the term "raid" was established in MMO's well before WoW don't you?

You might as well call them Bernard-isodes for what its worth because Cryptics use of the word does indeed fly in the face of the established definition used in many other games. In short, Cryptic have b-astardised an established term just to create a marketing "buzzword", which to some people makes them look a little silly.

They could have just stuck with calling them "group-centric episodes" and no one would have battered an eyelid.
Agreed 100%. And good sig, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanten View Post
Yup, Special Ops would be much better. And it's not referring to any established concept in mmo.