Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Words have different meanings for different contexts. The word "raid" has now been long established as an MMO term to denote an encounter requiring more than just a number of players whose sum is greater than that normally found in a group in the game.
Well considering there is no group content in the game, (besides fleet actions which is open PVE and PVP), then it's apt.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
And this aint EQ or UO either. So what's your point? You do realise that the term "raid" was established in MMO's well before WoW don't you?
Then WoW has no raids.

Cause I remember it taking 80 people to raid in at least one of those games you mentioned.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
It's just different vocabulary. In EQ2, content designed for groups of up to six players is called group content, or Heroic content because the mobs are Heroic mobs; Raid content is designed for four groups of six players fighting Raid mobs. In LoTRO Heroic mobs are tagged as Signature mobs and Raid mobs are Elite.

So what if STO calls encounters designed for a group of five players Raids or Raidisodes and uses the term Fleet Action for what other games call Raids.

OP is vocabulary deficient.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
....They could have just stuck with calling them "group-centric episodes" and no one would have battered an eyelid.
But then this thread wouldn't exist and there wouldn't be any player input. I'm not seeing a problem here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I moved my tangent of renaming the raidisodes to a different topic. This thread is turning into a discussion over the meaning of raid haha.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=113780
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincire View Post
Actually the concept of raidisode is closer to the definition of a raid than the garbage WoW has conditioned it's playerbase to consume.
I like your take.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanten View Post
The more I think about it, I really like Special Operations.
  • It fits with the military structure of Starfleet
  • It implies that this is dangerous and very hard to do
  • It goes along with the fleet concept as there are special ops groups. Your fleet name is just a codename for your spec ops force
  • It implies that this isn't for the normal (non-player) captain and needs a special touch
  • It also shows how important to the war the mission is
This is interesting. I don't know my naval terms I'm afraid. What's smaller than a fleet? Special Battlegroup Operations?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
The only reason you wouldn't call them Raidisodes is if you're pedantic, and really that's your problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanten View Post
How about Special Operations.
That was actually the only one that came to mind when I was thinking of other things to call them. SpecOps it is! ... for me anyway.

Maybe Elite Operations? Deadly Ops? Critical Ops?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaashar View Post
Then WoW has no raids.

Cause I remember it taking 80 people to raid in at least one of those games you mentioned.
Like I said, all previous games established that the term "raid" meant an encounter requiring a collection of players larger than the sum you find in what the game determined as a "group" size.

Therefore, anything above the size of 1 group was defined as a raid. No matter whether its 2, 4 or 8 groups connected to together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster
The only reason you wouldn't call them Raidisodes is if you're pedantic, and really that's your problem.
There is a difference between being pedantic and being concerned about the b-asterisation of already established terms just so they can create a "buzzword".

if Cryptic renamed phaser rifles and hand held phasers to be just called "lazer guns", would it bother you? Be honest now. You'd probably feel the need to point out the inaccuracy in the use of the term. And why would you want to point that out? Because there has already been established a term which defines the item more accurately.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:40 AM.