Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
It's the KDF.

The way I see it, is the KDF is a seedy mishmash of conquered races, mercenaries, opportunists and forced labor in the Klingons desperately outgunned and outmatched fight against the rest of the known universe.
outmatched and outgunned eh? So thats why Qo'Nos was attacked during the Dominion wars right? 9 million dead? oh wait, that was Earth...part of the federation. attacked not once but twice

Klingons probably have more guns and weapons per capita then any civilization, they would put Texas to shame
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 04:52 AM
I agree with the original post, and not just for KDF. Alien (that looks like a default race, like Klingon or Human) seems the most versatile -- and therefore popular -- choice because of the lack of restrictions.

One balance solution would be to restrict the combinations of traits possible. Another similar solution would be to restrict Alien to a max of 2 space and 2 ground traits (instead of any 4), whereas default races could potentially have 3/1 or 4/0 mixes.

Oh, and regarding Worf -- he was the only full Klingon serving as a member of Starfleet. Ever. The only others were the extremely few hybrids who chose a non-Klingon lifestyle, or were otherwise diplomatic staff working for or with the Federation government (and not Starfleet, its military).

Klingon culture is so strong -- and most Klingons would argue, genetically bred -- that no full Klingon would even consider serving anything other than the Empire. Star Trek's concept of culture creating/driving ideology goes back to TOS, and it ties directly to International Relations Theory (especially relating to the Cold War).

This strong culture was often portrayed as xenophobia (or dominion, in the International Relations sense) in the TV shows, which is why I would expect far fewer races -- let alone members of those races -- to be allowed to serve as KDF members.

Of course, a game is a game is a game...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 05:21 AM
For Klingons, I think it's pretty disappointing. The Klingons are an aggressive, proud warrior species (and a lot of arrogance for some) and along with that is a giant egotistical pride when thinking of their race. I personally have zero non-Klingon BOs just for this reason. Phhht, I'd have Gorn and Nausican janitors and zero other aliens, minus some Orion females around for obvious reasons.

Yet, I see more weirdo aliens in the KDF than actual Klingons. Does anyone REALLY think the High Council would ever, ever allow *anybody* but a Klingon to be a general and command a fleet? Hell no.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Klingon is for PvP players.

PvP players want to win.

If you want to win in Star Trek Online, you're better off with an alien than a Klingon.

It's sad, but it's true.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I think for me it just boils down to being able to tell your own story, rather than someone else's.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I think the best solution would be to make the race forced traits better I play a Gorn and my forced traits are worthless.
Bonus damage to meele - we all know meele is a waste of time in PvP or PvE and the damage is so low 17.5% bonus to crap damage doesn't make it any better
10% resistance to plasma DoTs well I have never noticed it help because people just spam

Ok I like reisiliant at 5% damage reduction I like but that is just a standard trait which an Alien can pick or choose.

Maybe if they force us to take these traits they should be better than the ones the aliens can pick.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
My personal feeelings on this matter can be summed up by Martok - "We are Klingons, Worf. We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them."

That being said, everyone's $ is worth as much as mine, while I'd prefer a more "Klingon" Klingon faction it is not ruining my experience.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Alien gets to pick 4 traits, so they make the best PvPers, KDF is all PvP so everyone picks alien. Are you surprised?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnang
Alien gets to pick 4 traits, so they make the best PvPers, KDF is all PvP so everyone picks alien. Are you surprised?
Couldnt they make a Klingon looking Alien? (just wondering i never played Klingon)

Also the NPC races are messed up. I saw K7 having 1/4 Klingon crew and a Romulan Colony that only has Starfleet Officers with the exeption of 1 Romulan woman.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
I think for me it just boils down to being able to tell your own story, rather than someone else's.
This sounds like another facet of a debate I think of as "Roleplaying" vs "Making Crap Up".

Roleplaying means you're living in a world created by someone else and are roleplaying as a character within that universe. This means that if you are a Klingon in Star Trek, you are a warrior with a racial superiority complex. You can roleplay it however you like, so long as you are basically Klingon.

Making crap up is when you go into a well established world and do something entirely outside the story of that world. You're no longer roleplaying in the traditional sense and are simply making crap up. It's like a D&D player simply telling the GM that he has a laser gun. He has stopped roleplaying and started making crap up. Similarly, being an alien in the KDF is basically making crap up. Playing a Klingon with the name "Daisy" who only talks of love, peace and smoking pot would also be making crap up.

"Telling your own story" can be entirely contrary to and destructive of real rolelaying.