Lt. Commander
# 1 Managing Power Levels
02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I see threads where people will mention managing their power levels. They'll say things along the lines of, 'I try to keep an eye on my power levels.' or 'I try to make sure my power levels don't drop too much.' My question is what do you do about it. I see my weapons power drop a few points now and then when I'm actively firing, but oh well. What am I supposed to do, stop shooting? When you guys are watching your power are you manually adjusting your power settings in the middle of combat? If so it sounds like a lot of effort. I just adjust my settings to what I like and leave it there for pretty much all time. Maybe I'm just not experienced enough.

Also, do you factor in your choice of weapons you install on your ship? Do certain weapons have more of a drain on your power and you stay away from maybe that one extra high drain weapon if you find your levels are frequently too low?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balendor
Also, do you factor in your choice if weapons you install on your ship? Do certain weapons have more of a drain on your power and you stay away from maybe that one extra high drain weapon if you find your levels are frequently too low?
Certain weapons DO factor critically into power loss. Dual beams cause a bit of an issue if you pack 2 sets of them for instance..
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balendor
I see threads where people will mention managing their power levels. They'll say things along the lines of, 'I try to keep an eye on my power levels.' or 'I try to make sure my power levels don't drop too much.' My question is what do you do about it. I see my weapons power drop a few points now and then when I'm actively firing, but oh well. What am I supposed to do, stop shooting? When you guys are watching your power are you manually adjusting your power settings in the middle of combat? If so it sounds like a lot of effort. I just adjust my settings to what I like and leave it there for pretty much all time. Maybe I'm just not experienced enough.

Also, do you factor in your choice of weapons you install on your ship? Do certain weapons have more of a drain on your power and you stay away from maybe that one extra high drain weapon if you find your levels are frequently too low?
If your power levels are dropping just a few points, I wouldn't worry about it, this seems normal for beam weapon use. I beleive this becomes an issue if you load up too many beam weapons and they all start firing concurrently.

Power levels have a pretty extreme effect on system performance, to see how much, just hover the mouse over your weapons and it will give you the exact numbers and any particular power level. There's also a very informative thread here where someone did some extensive research on what 1 point of power equates to in terms of percentage gain/loss for each system.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias_Focauld
If your power levels are dropping just a few points, I wouldn't worry about it, this seems normal for beam weapon use. I beleive this becomes an issue if you load up too many beam weapons and they all start firing concurrently.

Power levels have a pretty extreme effect on system performance, to see how much, just hover the mouse over your weapons and it will give you the exact numbers and any particular power level. There's also a very informative thread here where someone did some extensive research on what 1 point of power equates to in terms of percentage gain/loss for each system.
Not sure if it's the one you meant, but the Ship Power Levels link in my sig explains the effects of power levels.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
Not sure if it's the one you meant, but the Ship Power Levels link in my sig explains the effects of power levels.
Yep, that's the one, thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I adjust my power levels out of combat, by paying attention to the way she steers and handles. I set my Engines power so that I get my fastest turn (highest bank) when she's max speed, then tweak the rest accordingly.

In combat, I make sure to leave leeway time between full impulse and engagement, so that my systems can return to normal before fighting. If I'm going to blitz in by full impulse, I'll drop out of it before I get there, and just nudge her into range, so my power is still good to go when I drop full impulse and open fire.

Beyond that, is understanding how skills and such work with power levels, and making intelligent choices from there.