Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
You know for a fact? How exactly? No offense, but I'd like to see some proof if you're interested in providing it. All you need to do is go into the game, press "P", find the powers you mentioned and select them. You'll get a dialogue telling you exactly which skills modify each of the abilities you mentioned. Is "Starship Engineering Training" actually listed among them? I think you're going to find that the answer is "no".
I admire your skepticism. Luckily, there's an easy way for you to check this out without having to get a bunch of engineer BO's into a higher level ship to check the "P" menu. If you go to the BO requisitions vendor in Earth Spacedock or bring up the BO's in the exchange, you can right click on the entries and see the full, detail "P" menu tooltip for every abilities those officers have. Checking this, I confirm that Directed Energy Modulation is affected by Engineering Training, as is Auxiliary Power to the Structural Field (I was strangely unable to find any instances of the Auxiliary Power to X abilities, has anyone seen these? At any rate, I find it likely that they follow the same pattern as Structural Field), while Extend Shields is not affected by Engineering Training (It is affected by Warp Core Training instead), and the tooltips for Aceton Field, Eject Warp Plasma, and Reverse Shield Polarity are sadly lacking the skill information. Since Eject Warp Plasma is specifically called out by the tooltip for Starship Engineering Training, it is probably safe to assume that it is in fact affected by that skill. This leaves Reverse Shield Polarity and Aceton Field as question marks until someone can check them (which will be quite difficult for Reverse Shield Polarity, since the tooltip gives no feedback on how effective it is).

At any rate, we can say with confidence that the following skills are affected by Starship Engineering Training:
  • Eject Warp Plasma
  • Directed Energy Modulation
  • Auxiliary Power to the Structural Field
  • Rotate Shield Frequency
Along with hull repair rates. I suspect that at least one of Reverse Shield Polarity and Aceton Field are affected by Starship Engineering Training, if only because if both of them are affected by Warp Core Training, that leaves the majority of skills affected by a skill that is already highly useful for its own sake for improving power levels.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Awesome, that was really helpful information. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I think your point of concern may be slightly off, Combadge. You seem to be calling out Techie as a poor trait. I would suggest the problem is not with Techie, but with Starship Engineering Training. This skill should clearly affect all Engineering skills, just as Starship Operations (theoretically) affects all Science skills. If it does not, that would seem to be a problem.

However, many tooltips in STO are currently erroneous (I know of at least one example where the tooltip for one skill and another outright contradict each other), so I would not base anything on them. Just because an Engineering skill does not say it is modified by Starship Engineering Training does not mean it is so.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormammu View Post
I think your point of concern may be slightly off, Combadge. You seem to be calling out Techie as a poor trait. I would suggest the problem is not with Techie, but with Starship Engineering Training. This skill should clearly affect all Engineering skills, just as Starship Operations (theoretically) affects all Science skills. If it does not, that would seem to be a problem.
Starship Operations modifies most of the science skills, although not all of them. At the same time, it's the only tier 1 skill in the Starship Operations category. Starship Engineering Training seems to modify very few in comparison, at least officially, although I suppose that's because so many of the engineering skills draw from Starship Warp Core Training instead.

But after this discussion I'm beginning to believe Starship Engineering Training modifies several BO skills that aren't displaying correctly. Namely - Aceton Field, Extend Shields, Reverse Shield Polarity, Boarding Party (?), Auxilary to Dampeners, and Auxilary to Battery.

As was pointed out earlier, we know that it at least affects Eject Warp Plasma, Directed Energy Modulation, Auxilary Power to Structural, Rotate Shield Frequency, and it modifies the strength of your cloaking field.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
Starship Operations modifies most of the science skills, although not all of them. At the same time, it's the only tier 1 skill in the Starship Operations category. Starship Engineering Training seems to modify very few in comparison, at least officially, although I suppose that's because so many of the engineering skills draw from Starship Warp Core Training instead.

But after this discussion I'm beginning to believe Starship Engineering Training modifies several BO skills that aren't displaying correctly. Namely - Aceton Field, Extend Shields, Reverse Shield Polarity, Boarding Party (?), Auxilary to Dampeners, and Auxilary to Battery.

As was pointed out earlier, we know that it at least affects Eject Warp Plasma, Directed Energy Modulation, Auxilary Power to Structural, Rotate Shield Frequency, and it modifies the strength of your cloaking field.
Extend Shields is modified by Starship Warp Core Training, the tooltip for that one is working. I think Boarding Party and Reverse Shield Polarity are going to be very difficult to check; we may have to wait for Cryptic to fix the tooltips, or for easy 1v1 PvP (such as Fed vs. Fed duels). If I can ever find officers with Auxiliary to Dampeners/Battery, the tooltips for those may be working, but they might be rare/non-existent at the moment.

Aceton field might be easier (though still annoying) to check, depending on how it is modified. If it's something the tooltip gives a numerical value to, like the duration or the damage debuff, then all we need is someone with a T3+ Cruiser and no points in Starship Engineering; check with engineering team (which increases Engineering Training and Warp Core Training) to see if the tooltip is updated, and if it is, start allocating skill points to Starship Engineering and see if it increases. Preferably, the whole process should be done with screenshots in order to confirm for everyone else. On the other hand, if it's the "minor damage" effect that's improved, we're in the same boat as with RSP and BP.