Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 03:45 AM
If you remove all of the special abilities it doesn't JUST reduce it to a battle of skill -- it comes down to a battle of skill and GEAR. So, to balance that, Cryptic would have to balance Federation by eliminating all PVE mission rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynder View Post
If you remove all of the special abilities it doesn't JUST reduce it to a battle of skill -- it comes down to a battle of skill and GEAR.
I dont see the point here, or at least i can admit gear. If there is no more special abilities (except, of course, the pew pew one that the OP still wants to have, why shouldnt he pew pew pew if other players doesnt have any more (not so) "exotic" abilities that prevents him from pew pew pew at will without being stopped? ...), where would be the skill? The one who breaks its keyboard first by smashing frenetically spacebar for hours?
Lt. Commander
# 13 I don't like DPS battles..
02-11-2010, 08:06 AM
My Opinion: I much prefer Skill vs. Counterskill over placing emphasis on DPS battles. (by Skill I mean BO skill/abilities - not outside the game mechanics player skill). I think there is a decent balance on these two factors now if the skills all worked as intended - but quite a few skills need tweaking or fixing.

I do believe that there are a few horrid loopholes in the skill mechanics as it stands especially with regards to cooldowns. Spamming and stacking skills like RSP or Science Team or Rapid Fire for the majority of your combat should not be possible - I don't care how you rationalize it. It is not a good game mechanic. PvP will continue to be very problematic until a few of the cooldown and stacking issues are resolved and a number of skills get tweaked so that they are useful but not overpowering.

It would be better if skills could not be used so often so that they become a bit more "special" but I would not want to reduce their impact.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
5vs5 Space PvP

Its brilliant atm, all the skills and counters and regains and heals and buffs and boffs. Its just awesome.

Counters to skills and CCs and gear difference and you will never be 100% sure how the enemy team is fitted is just extreamly nice.

DO NOT CHANGE IT. huh

exept that limit the usage of one skill, only possible to use ie one RSP not the lvl 1 and 2 one in chains. thats just dumb. if you use RSP 1, your RSP 2 is on the same CD etc same to all skills.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Where are people getting the idea that Im asking to get rid of any of the specials...Im asking to increase coold downs and to minimize the impact of repeative spamming of skills.

Im asking that each use during a match reduce th effectiviness of many of the specials for that match. For long matches, there can be an elapsed time at which the effectiveness of specials reset back to 100% and then beginnning deminishing again.

Frankly, I can careless how the specials apply in PvE...for PvE, let the specials stay the way they are. But for PvP, lets see if we can make the use of specials a bit more representitive of Trek, less spaming of specials. Honestly, the rapid weapon salvos is par for the Trek course...but they could even increase the weapon coold downs too.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
but they could even increase the weapon coold downs too.
Sorry but i do not favor turtle wars...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodarkore View Post
Sorry but i do not favor turtle wars...
Some dont favor insta-pops either....that being said, I never implied or said increases in weapons cool downs had to dramatic.

Bu I guess if i said it was too hot, lets turn down the thermostat, the people who like it hot would assume Im trying to suggest lowering the temp by 30 degs. Lets try and be less reactionary and more constructive.

Im not looking for turtle wars either.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
You want to limit the use of special abilities just because you don't like the way it looks? The thing is skills and powers need visual effects, so that you can see that you've used them, or what other people are using.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishpinecone View Post
You want to limit the use of special abilities just because you don't like the way it looks? The thing is skills and powers need visual effects, so that you can see that you've used them, or what other people are using.
Naw the y looks I can deal with...though some are a bit over board...but I understand why. Im looking at having us rely on the specials less, to reduce the gaminess/cheesiness factor by reducing the spam and the impact they have after repeated use in a PvP session.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
The problem I see emerging is that the increased reliance on BOff skills makes it harder for some players to manage their game. I think this is why PvE is easy for some (like me) but hard for others. You have to use a lot more buttons as you rank up, and some times in quick succession. Perhaps making some effects more persistent but with a longer cool down would help.