Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
A post from someone or other mentioned that STO felt somewhat "arcadish" due to the fact that there is no real death penalty, and it got me thinking.

Does anyone here remember the old Star Trek Arcade game from the 80s, that was done with vectorscope (think Battlezone/Asteroids) graphics and consisted of a 360 rotating knob with engine, phaser, torpedo, and shield buttons?

I can't remember how many quarters I sank into those machines over the years.

Frankly, the Enemy Sensor Contacts in this game scattered about the map are ginormous improvements on the old ST:Arcade experience, and I love whirling around in them endlessly destroying Klingons or Romulans or whatever.

And to boot, this one lets you team up with friends and play it simultaneously.

So I'm wondering... how many of you would have bought the game and pay a monthly subscription just for the Enemy Contact encounters and ship class/components upgrade/economic system for allowing you to level up and take on tougher and tougher enemies?

I think I would. And the missions are just gravy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 01:27 AM
If it was billed as a stand-alone(non subscription) game with co-op multiplayer I would pay for it. As you described, no I wouldn't pay a subscription. A subscription fee for what is essentially Starfleet Command isn't financially sound.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
They even nerfed that today, you can only do one enemy contact mission every 30 minutes. So if you are trying to level, your essentially paying to play, every 30 minutes if you think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2010, 02:25 AM
seeing as 3 of them in a row is more than enough for me, no .. i wouldnt pay a sub for that game alone!

.. id prolly go an play L4D2 on co-op instead.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonphase View Post
They even nerfed that today, you can only do one enemy contact mission every 30 minutes. So if you are trying to level, your essentially paying to play, every 30 minutes if you think about it.
Well you never read the notes properly did you

The mission is Defend the X Sector

Which can be retaken 30mins after taking it in first place

you have to fight 3 of these DSE to complete the mission with a 6mins reset time in between events
and each 1 taking about 10-15mins you can rinse and repeat the mission like before without having to worry about the 30min cooldown
the reason the CD was added was beause you could enter the DSE and pretty much keep swiching Instances till you find one almost finished get credit towards the Defend mission and again swich instances til you find another almost finished , this way you would never have to kill all 10waves and complete the whole thing in under 10mins

its not a nerf it closing an easily exploitable game mechanic to Grind levels at extremly fast rate much faster than intended
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Quote:
You seam rather bitter Moonphase... if you enjoy the enemy contacts, you can continue to play them all day long... you just can't take the mission for it except for once every 30 minutes to prevent pointless power leveling.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heruler View Post
Well you never read the notes properly did you

The mission is Defend the X Sector

Which can be retaken 30mins after taking it in first place

you have to fight 3 of these DSE to complete the mission with a 6mins reset time in between events
and each 1 taking about 10-15mins you can rinse and repeat the mission like before without having to worry about the 30min cooldown
the reason the CD was added was beause you could enter the DSE and pretty much keep swiching Instances till you find one almost finished get credit towards the Defend mission and again swich instances til you find another almost finished , this way you would never have to kill all 10waves and complete the whole thing in under 10mins

its not a nerf it closing an easily exploitable game mechanic to Grind levels at extremly fast rate much faster than intended
I'm simply quoting you to have the information up again. There are FAR too many people crying because they don't read things properly.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 03:05 AM
No, because you fail to realise that this has had a serious side effect from the 'loop hole' being closed. If you don't have any current missions or patrols to do, and you have to grind out the DSE in order to reach the next level so you get new missions, you can't do this anymore....well you can but it'll take you 100x longer than yesterday. And honestly, is there enough content in place right now in order to prevent people from even seeing a single DSE?

And you can't say that isn't that case, there are numerous early forums posts about people complaining that they finished the story and patrol missions and was stuck with nothing to do, so all the replies was do DSE in order to level, but now thats been majorly nerfed.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenullity View Post
If it was billed as a stand-alone(non subscription) game with co-op multiplayer I would pay for it. As you described, no I wouldn't pay a subscription. A subscription fee for what is essentially Starfleet Command isn't financially sound.
It isn't even as good as starfleet command...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Quote:
No, because you fail to realise that this has had a serious side effect from the 'loop hole' being closed. If you don't have any current missions or patrols to do, and you have to grind out the DSE in order to reach the next level so you get new missions, you can't do this anymore....well you can but it'll take you 100x longer than yesterday. And honestly, is there enough content in place right now in order to prevent people from even seeing a single DSE?

And you can't say that isn't that case, there are numerous early forums posts about people complaining that they finished the story and patrol missions and was stuck with nothing to do, so all the replies was do DSE in order to level, but now thats been majorly nerfed.
Then shouldn't people be asking for more content to compensate rather than crying about a loop hole being closed? New content that is indeed on it's way. (yes, more should have been in at launch but we can't change that now can we).

What's really confusing me is the confusion of what people really want.

Content not loopholes please.