Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Vo'quv vs tier 5 science
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Thinking of making a Klingon science officer, just had a few questions.

1. What traits are good to take for a science officer?

2. I read that the Vo'quv's shield modifier is 150% what is the shield modifier for tier 5 science ships?

3. Would I be gimping myself by going science officer for KDF as opposed to fed because of lack of science ships?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Currently I am science officer. I am trying to stay pure science as well. I liked the idea.

As a klingon it is a little little difficult with BO's but at the same time I am able to spread my skills around a bit more as the BOP uses generic officer slots.

So if we are in a heavy science/engineer group I can always drop in a tac officer to up my dps. While I will never be on the top of the list it is nice to be able to fill in the gaps in the group.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
1. *shrug*. There aren't a lot of options for traits. As a Klingon I got two ground traits by default, so I made sure to take two space traits to balance it out. But you only get like four to choose from, so take whatever you feel is best.

2. I don't know exactly what the shield modifier is, but it was reduced about a week ago. For the most part the Carrier follows the same rules as a Science ship. Lots of shields, bonus shield power and bonus AUX power. More science officer stations. 3 fore and 3 aft weapon slots.

Make no mistake, the carrier is our version of a science ship, it is just the polar opposite in some ways. Where the Fed science ships are small and highly maneuverable, the Carrier is the biggest and least maneuverable ship. It creates a very different playstyle.

3. I am a science captain myself, and I found the Science abilities to be very useful at all levels and in any ship. The one thing to bear in mind is with all Science and Engineering abilities you NEED to invest in the skills, in order to improve the effectiveness of your abilities. Sensor Scan for example is a nice ability at first, but becomes AWSOME if you invest your points in the right three skills. And that is only one ability. You will want to put a lot of points into your science tree.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I intend to go kdf engineer to carrier, but decided to wait until there's something more to do on kdf side than watch my teammates suicide into feds for levels.

I actually prefer eng captain for sci ships, m'self.

For traits, the obvious ones are :

Accurate
Elusive
Efficient
Warp Theorist
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
I intend to go kdf engineer to carrier...
Agreed that Engineer is almost certainly better suited for a carrier driver. Abilities like Rotate Shield Frequency and Miracle Worker would certainly come in handy keeping you alive given the limited Engineering Bridge Officer slots on the Vo'Quv and its large semi-mobile target status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
For traits, the obvious ones are :

Accurate
Elusive
Efficient
Warp Theorist
I would probably take Astrophysicist and Techie over Accurate and Elusive if I was trying to min-max traits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
Agreed that Engineer is almost certainly better suited for a carrier driver. Abilities like Rotate Shield Frequency and Miracle Worker would certainly come in handy keeping you alive given the limited Engineering Bridge Officer slots on the Vo'Quv and its large semi-mobile target status.



I would probably take Astrophysicist and Techie over Accurate and Elusive if I was trying to min-max traits.
Right, completely depends on how you play your ship though.

Those make sense for my build.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-12-2010, 10:00 AM
the carrier is hands down the best teir 5 ship in my opion even when for testing purposes my premade messed about wit only having one set of pets out at a time and if you play it like its ment to be played its a forced to be recond with

my premade consists of mostly engy/sci captins with an occasional tac officer be hardly ever more than one of em.

and to play the carrier right you seld if ever use full impulse and all 5 of your carriers stay within 5km of everyone and youbasicaly ball up like feds should and move as a group

if you do this along with healing and buffing your teamates(the reason why everyones with 5km) it forces the feds to attack the kligon ball and most of em are unprapred for having the tacitcal initave and dont know how to deal ith trying to break a ball and so they generaly resort to killing the npcs while you kill them with an occasional ram

now when i do a fed premade i always make sure i tell people to have cetin skilsl to combat carrier balls such as torp spread and grav well

and what we do then is to get close to the fed ball quickly and use torp spread and grav well to kill all the npcs with our initial alpha thn concentrate of healing one another and killing carriers so by no means are you invunerable(but most feds dont have a clue about pvp so they think you are) vs other premades but its a fun ship to fly
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savaage
the carrier is hands down the best teir 5 ship in my opion even when for testing purposes my premade messed about wit only having one set of pets out at a time and if you play it like its ment to be played its a forced to be recond with

my premade consists of mostly engy/sci captins with an occasional tac officer be hardly ever more than one of em.

and to play the carrier right you seld if ever use full impulse and all 5 of your carriers stay within 5km of everyone and youbasicaly ball up like feds should and move as a group

if you do this along with healing and buffing your teamates(the reason why everyones with 5km) it forces the feds to attack the kligon ball and most of em are unprapred for having the tacitcal initave and dont know how to deal ith trying to break a ball and so they generaly resort to killing the npcs while you kill them with an occasional ram

now when i do a fed premade i always make sure i tell people to have cetin skilsl to combat carrier balls such as torp spread and grav well

and what we do then is to get close to the fed ball quickly and use torp spread and grav well to kill all the npcs with our initial alpha thn concentrate of healing one another and killing carriers so by no means are you invunerable(but most feds dont have a clue about pvp so they think you are) vs other premades but its a fun ship to fly
Yep, I'm emo about this topic because carrier was always my goal.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.