Lt. Commander
# 21
02-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Yup... Trying to hard.
Well that or 'ee is just trying to be a troll.

I gave you one option, don't die. This is easy if you have a clue about what you are doing in this game.

Option 2 is your ship doesn't blow all the way up, it's just really badly damaged. And your crew puts it back together for you. Slap a new warp core in there and BAM! Good as new (don't touch any posters, they might be load bearing posters).

And if you can't find anyone to roleplay with, start doing it anyway! Eventually someone will join in.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-12-2010, 02:08 PM
My question, how does a death penalty help RP? Like in EQ... you spawned at a graveyard and had to run back to your corpse and collect all your belongings. Huh? So what, youre a zombie now?

Me, I always ignored the DP. Youre supposed to be an epic hero, saving the world. (atleast in theory). Epic Heroes dont die (usually), and when they do, its either tragic or spectacular, but on an epic scale.

I dont see why there has to be a DP to facilitate RP. So you spawned back at the beginning of the instant and are magically whole again. Simple, you stealthed and limped away and repaired. >.> Or maybe once the baddies defeated you, they left your firey hulk and went after their next victim. How many times was the Enterprise trashed, but most of the crew survived?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
This isnt meant as a dig or a troll just a question
How do you reconcile the lack of any kind of death penalty or escape mechanic in role playing?
Other games have things that allow you to explain away the death mechanic. Like the 400 lb gorilla, WoW, the run back to body or rez. This game doesnt seem to lend itself to RP easily as the combat aspects seem to be more "simulator" designed, with the 10 sec respawn thing. Like the space combat is a star trek flavored spaceship simulator etc.
How do you reconcile losing your ship - with all hands - only to have it reappear in the same area a few seconds later? Holographic ships and quantum singularities only work as explanations so long before you have to face the fact that you and your crew are effectively immotral and this kinda kills the suspense
It's easy, your not really dead.

"It's just a flesh wound"

Monty Python For Ever!!!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
How do you reconcile the lack of any kind of death penalty or escape mechanic in role playing?
Other games have things that allow you to explain away the death mechanic. Like the 400 lb gorilla, WoW, the run back to body or rez. This game doesnt seem to lend itself to RP easily as the combat aspects seem to be more "simulator" designed, with the 10 sec respawn thing. Like the space combat is a star trek flavored spaceship simulator etc.
How do you reconcile losing your ship - with all hands - only to have it reappear in the same area a few seconds later? Holographic ships and quantum singularities only work as explanations so long before you have to face the fact that you and your crew are effectively immotral and this kinda kills the suspense
Simple, you never die in ground combat and you can always be rez'd by team mates and or Bridge officers, however if you rez, its kind of like the irector going "Cut, lets take it from the top of the last battle":p
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
As many people have already said, role-playing death into the game is a challenge. However, this is a far-future setting so why not come up with your own mechanics to explain the lack of death. For example;

a. Death in ground missions, you are simply knocked out or badly wounded. You can be healed by your team and if a complete team-wipe occurs, the ship in orbit transports you back to safety.

b. Ship is destroyed in space combat, Star Fleet has transwarp technology now so when a ship is crippled an emergency corridor is formed and the ship is warped to safety for repair.

Just because Cryptic does not explain the how the system works does not mean we cannot fill in the lines. When it comes to RP, sometimes making your own story tangents is the most fun. Strictly sticking to cannon info can limit your own storylines.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
if you look at the character status in away missions when they "die" it doesnt say dead, and you dont see any common death motifs (such as a skull), instead you see the word "unconscious."
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
i'd have to agree with those who said "don't die, and if you do, don't tell anyone"

because honestly, as you described losing your ship and your entire crew... the only way to properly role-play that would be to delete your character and start all over again.

i assume you're against doing that. so instead, just kinda ignore death like it didn't actually happen. or if you must acknowledge it, spin it so it was one of those trek-style grave situations where the hull is failing and the bridge is blowing up in a hail of flashy sparks, but somehow you and your bridge crew managed to hold it together.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, losing a ship really doesn't seem to have affected anyone in Star Trek, so why should it affect us in the game?

Kirk: Self-destructs NCC-1701 and gets NCC-1701-A as a result.
Picard/Riker: Riker loses to a 30-year old bird-of-prey and they get a Sovereign in return.
Sisko: Loses the Defiant, gets a new ship.

Seems to me there is no death penatly in in Star Trek, and the developers are following that tradition.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Off the top of my head, I can come up with one simple way to RP death in this game...

Q

...because the Continuum can.

Push comes to shove, you can say that Q created a version of reality in which the rules of death were changed.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
The fact you need to face is that this is a multiplayer video game, not a table-top RPG. Don't confuse the two.