Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
My DX9c circa 2004 (Lol?) reports in DXDiag as being 4.x.x..Lol.

I'm half-tempted to try the DX10 on XP hack. The screwed up shadows and stuff are driving me nuts.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-12-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm not by any stretch what you would call a directx expert but the way I understand it is this. DX11 is backward compatible with DX9 and 10. Something written on the older dx versions SHOULD run on Dx11... the problem comes in when something is not actually compatible and the minimum dll's a program needs might not be in dx11 (or they just don't work the way the dev though it would) or they might not be fully compatible.

The "fix" I suspect is to install the directx distribution of the version the software is expecting. So in this case dx9. Kind of like what happens when you firs tinstall sto. This should get the mising or bad versions of the dll's the software is looking for on the machine. Now if there is a problem with the redistribution package STO sends us.. there could have a problem. Not everyone could be seeing the problem because not everyone will have the exact same versions of dx9 dlls.

if someone knows more about directx and would care to correct me please do. My understanding is a bit fuzzy.

Before you try installing the dx9 distribution you might want to create a restore point. You can't uninstall it. I don't think this will actually hurt anything though if you do install it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
It should automatically write a restore point. But I can install it day in and day out and as far as I can tell, nothing changes. DX versions remain the same before and after the install, and DX core files remain from August 2004.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
It should automatically write a restore point. But I can install it day in and day out and as far as I can tell, nothing changes. DX versions remain the same before and after the install, and DX core files remain from August 2004.
Do a search on microsoft for feb 2010 directx. It'll either be on MSDN or their update site.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I've already got it. Upon extracting it and installing it, no version numbers change, no core files are replaced.

I've installed it at least 4 times. I even used DX Eradicator to try and purge the previous install, but it insta-reinstalled on Windows startup.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
I've already got it. Upon extracting it and installing it, no version numbers change, no core files are replaced.

I've installed it at least 4 times. I even used DX Eradicator to try and purge the previous install, but it insta-reinstalled on Windows startup.
what operating system are you running?

also, did you try using the new option to limit framerates under the troubleshooting section of the graphics options? this is a new feature released with the 2/11 patch
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScragg View Post
I'm not by any stretch what you would call a directx expert but the way I understand it is this. DX11 is backward compatible with DX9 and 10. Something written on the older dx versions SHOULD run on Dx11... the problem comes in when something is not actually compatible and the minimum dll's a program needs might not be in dx11 (or they just don't work the way the dev though it would) or they might not be fully compatible.
im pretty sure the game does not use dx10, and im absolutely sure it doesnt use dx11. the files found on vista and win 7 for dx10 and dx9 are seperate, dx10 can be installed without updating dx9 and visa-versa.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Quote:

the folder that i extracted the dx files to on my hard drive shows a dx release for feb 2010. i dont want to be a jerk, but everyone is letting the exe extract the files to a folder on their drive, then they are going to the folder and launching "DXSETUP" as administrator, right?