Lt. Commander
# 11
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow... you can get these things on the exchange for next to nothing. Quit your Beeching perhaps cryptic is trying to get people to think outside the box.

Finished this mission in less than 10 minutes and got a lot of points.

You're all a bunch of filthy space aliens. And stupid ones at that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Dropped the mission. I HATE the aid missions, and this one is no different.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyASN View Post
Dropped the mission. I HATE the aid missions, and this one is no different.
Same here. Is this mission a pre-req for anything down the line though?
Lt. Commander
Ok, I get that this mission isn't full of explosions and violence . . .

BUT

You are playing a member of Starfleet. Sometimes you have to deal with bureaucratic stuff. This mission could be improved, by making the materials available on DS9 for purchase so you don't have to head back to Sol . . . (RP explained by the fact that DS9 is a major trading station and ought to have nigh any supplies available)

But the random aid missions? Really? You "hate" them?

Then get your ass out of Starfleet, we don't want you. Show some damn compassion! These imaginary people need your help!

Frankly, I find the aid missions MORE immersive than the random - "there's bad guys here, blow them up" missions.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP-Gallows
Wow... you can get these things on the exchange for next to nothing. Quit your Beeching perhaps cryptic is trying to get people to think outside the box.

To you and Skinmeister. No matter how serious each of you were posting that.

How does this mission involve thinking outside the box? It doesn't. Buying from exchange doesn't count as such. Running to talk to NPCs and vendors is hardly a revolutionary new mission template.

Cost next to nothing? When I did the mission, the cost was basically 80k from exchange, which is double what buying from the NPC costs. Now, I bought from the NPC when I was headed to Earthdock for other reasons, rather than making the trip just to buy them. Of course, then I found out I needed the stem bolts too, so had to wait even longer to complete the damn thing.

Of course, when I finished the damn thing, I got like 155sp. For a mission that takes ages if you do it in one go, traveling to get the appropiate parts from the NPCs in the appropriate order without knowing beforehand what you need. And of course there's the cost. Plain stupid, and not worth the time.

The story of the quest itself was nice, but the whole implementation is just bad design, no ifs and buts about it.

EDIT: CivilPhil, the thing with this - and well, the aid missions - is that what captain would pay for this sort of thing out of his/her own personal "wallet"? While there's generally not much use for the Energy credits in the game, it's still effectively a waste especially for the repeatable quests. Aid missions is fine in theory, but when it involves something as silly as this, it ends up not worth doing.
Lt. Commander
# 16 your wallet?
02-14-2010, 06:20 PM
You think of energy as your wallet?

So, when you "buy" that second tier 3 ship you're paying Starfleet for the ship? You "own" it?

Doesn't sound like how a military organization runs . . . .
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
There's nothing else to think of it as, really. RP/lore-wise you don't practically pay for anything in Starfleet. But as far as the game goes, yes, the Energy is your equivalent of "gold" that you use to buy things, such as the stuff in Exchange. So yes, it's your "wallet" indeed. Trying to pretend otherwise is, well, pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinmeister View Post
I agree, all unique missions should be removed. In fact, every mission in the game should be replaced with one type where you just go to a waypoint to complete it and get your rewards.

Do Cryptic think we're stupid? Trying to fob us off with some 'variety' in our missions. Variety is bad, everything should be the same the whole way through the game.
Variety is bad? You sir are a fool. Variety is a very good thing. This mission however, sucks.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP-Gallows

Didn't take for me either. I do see what the other meant about thinking outside the box.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinmeister View Post
I agree, all unique missions should be removed. In fact, every mission in the game should be replaced with one type where you just go to a waypoint to complete it and get your rewards.

Do Cryptic think we're stupid? Trying to fob us off with some 'variety' in our missions. Variety is bad, everything should be the same the whole way through the game.
u forgot the ./sarcasm