Lt. Commander
# 11
02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I am a StarTrek fan. I just question the show writers use of plural pronouns. A collective consciousness without a concept of individuality wouldn't say "We" or "Our". A collective consciousness wouldn't realize that is is many minds. It would think and speak as one mind and would say "I" and "my".

That is my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
It's the royal "We." Obviously.

The Borg are a single entity with a multitude of moving parts, yes, but they're a very self-absorbed single entity with a multitude of moving parts. So it only makes sense to use the royal "We."

This!
Queen Victoria was famed for using the Royal "we".
"We are not amused."

Stands to reason if they have a borg queen then they would use the royal we, no?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I can haz a borg?
no, there are multiple dronnes in the collective, so it is plural
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
It's probably taken from distopias like Anthem and We where individuals used third person pronouns to refer to themselves as they were part of an extreme communist collective and had no understanding of individuality. I can't recall the extent to which this was used in We but in Anthem the main character's discovery of 1st person pronouns was critical to his understanding of unique personhood. I think the writers were probably trying to portray a similar lack of understanding.

If you think about it, what's more powerful... a borg who says "I" but means it in a collective way or one who eschews all personal references in favor of the third person? Can you imagine how difficult it would be to even have a conversation with someone like that?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
If you were correct in your assumption that the Borg are a single mind. Your cells do
not each have their own conciousness like each drone in the Borg "hive". That's what youre misunderstanding. A hive mind is many working as one. It
is proper for them to refer to themselves as we.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-12-2010, 09:49 PM
OY, this thread...sometimes I wounder if WE should assimilate the alpha quadrant, maybe we are better off just assimilating in the delta quadrant... lol
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I have it on good authority...it is "We".

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
>_>
<_<
How did the queen survive?
*runs for the hills*
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
>_>
<_<
How did the queen survive?
*runs for the hills*
HAHHAHAHA!!! Hairy gets this joke!!! :p Chat... see why you gets the meta hugs? Yous be funny.