Lt. Commander
# 31
02-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonamtan View Post
With Torpedo-Skills, Torpedo-Consoles and a scan from a science ship:

Tricobalt-Torpedo hits Borg-Sphere for 64k Damage.
Sphere dies
Holy crap, I'm gonna have to pick this thing up when I get to Admiral just to see the huge numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Where does one obtain one of those Tri-Cobalts? I'm just curious to see one in action and I just reached Admiral last night.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zish View Post
DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP.

1min cooldown + 10-15s recycle. 70-75s between shots. damage is a joke. it is slower then a high yield plasma, destroyable AND has limited range. <5km

Sounds like a cube killer to me. Go in close, VERY close, wait for the shields to drop, maybe launch a Boarding Party as a additional destraction and let fly the tricobalt goodness.

And for more regular use, pack in a Quantum launcher too.

I wasn't sure about that tricobalt thing, but after reading this, it almost sounds like a weapon that would fit in well with part of my tactical approach in space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-13-2010, 08:13 AM
uuuuuuuuuuuuh if this thread is titled tricobalts, why is there no mine talk?

any word on the mines? this is all about torpedos.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zish View Post
a high yield quantum or photon does more damage. this launcher isnt worth the disadvantages. plain and simple
Is the tricobalt not High-Yieldable?
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalecgos View Post
Is the tricobalt not High-Yieldable?
No, you can't use high yield with it.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by narceisis View Post
I love my TriMLD, love love love it. Just cause your particular tactics dont fit well with the thing doesn't mean someone elses wont. Hell I have taken out 2 ships at once with this( in pvp none the less) proper use of this weapon = success hits, and while yes, a hy quant may put out more dps per 65 second cycle, (maybe dont know the CDs on hy, as I dont have the skill anywhere) its about thinking not dps. If done right this thing could pop 3 scorts in a single go round.

Even my flying m8 now switches targets when i let this thing lose as theres no reason to make sure it hits, cause I only fire it when it will.
Lets throw some math at this;

QT4 launcher mk X, green off the badge vendor.
Damage at Admiral? 5500ish per hit.
Not targetable.
6 second reload.

So at a base damage level... It's going to be able to be shot 10 times per the one hit wonder's 60 second reloading. Maybe 8 if you aren't good at keeping things in your firing arcs.

Lets add some skills in.

Works with High Yield 1 (so 11k damage) High yield 2 (3 torps so 18k dmg) high yield 3 (4 torps, etc.)
Works with Spread. For 5k to everything in a cluster about 5km across.
At rank 9 these skills:
1) don't share a timer for different iterations. If you High Yield III, you'll be able to fire one single shot, then high yield II, then high yield III will be ready to use as the launcher recycles.
2) these skills have a 30 second reload.

I want a refund.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I would point out comparing tricobolt cooldown with quantum cooldown would be like comparing a cruise missile with an AK 47

Sure the AK 47 will fire faster but it wont bring a building down

Yes if your firing off rapid torpedoes and needing them more than once per fight a tricobolts not going to be any use for you.

However, if your like me, who only fired torpedo's once a battle (unless fighting large numbers of fighters/small ships) then tricobolts massive hit will be worth to cooldown (specially since I rarely fight more than 1 battle a minute)

Yes it has a lot of downsides, but it has some nice upsides. So some will find great use out of it others will find it completely useless. And yes it could be better but same can be said for most the projectiles (heck most the damage types) in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah or the lack of comprehension skills.

Specialized weapons for specialized purposes.

I guess Cryptic didn't realize that people wouldn't realize that not every weapon works the same way every time.

As long as you have people that don't learn how/when to use certain things and lack the mental capacity to grasp that concept you get posts as such.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I can prob eclipse 100k crit with one general torpedo console and no Tri-Cobalt Skills....this thing is a beast. Hit 68k without Go Down Fighting active.

Attack pattern Alpha + Attack pattern Omega + Fire on my mark + Go down fighting with 4% hull = CRUNCH. Could prob go higher with attack pattern delta and beta...