Lt. Commander
# 1 Was fun until today...
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I was having a blast in pvp... until I reached the captain lvls.

In the earlier tiers you saw a single "better than average" BO skill here and there. Most of the time people could only have one and at most two of them.

Now that I have hit the captain lvls PVP seems kind of a joke to me.

Everyone has RSP (reverse shield polarity)... Everyone has VM (viral matrix)... Everyone has feedback...

Not to mention some people have multiples of each. Try fighting a cruiser that has multiple RSPs.

We have this HUGE list of bridge BO skills and at the end of the day.. We are all going to be using the same cookie cutter set. I'm finding there to be less diversity now than I thought possible.

-shrug-
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyiiga View Post

In the earlier tiers you saw a single "better than average" BO skill here and there. Most of the time people could only have one and at most two of them.

Everyone has RSP (reverse shield polarity)... Everyone has VM (viral matrix)... Everyone has feedback...

Not to mention some people have multiples of each. Try fighting a cruiser that has multiple RSPs.

We have this HUGE list of bridge BO skills and at the end of the day.. We are all going to be using the same cookie cutter set. I'm finding there to be less diversity now than I thought possible.

-shrug-
I agree , with what you said
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:

-shrug-
my tier 4 experience was fairly different, this was before we learned about the stupid stuff that broke the game though. I sympathize with you
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
My other favorite is macro turrets.. How they missed that one I do not know.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
do the qeues still fire off every thirty seconds or so? its fairly impossible to get a game sometimes at admiral
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
They pop at a fast rate.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
macro turrets? Please elaborate.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't have a problem with multiple RSPs actually.

I have 3 of them on my cruiser. I think it helps pace the battles slower, which is something I think this game needs. Even with 3 of them there's still a long window where I'm open to being killed (and I still have to watch out for things which can just plain turn my shields off, which RSP does nothing to help you with).

And of course with 3 RSPs I don't have as much ally healing available. If I could convince everyone else to pick up 2x Extend Shields, I could probably just keep 1 RSP for emergencies and get ally heals the rest of the time.

Viral Matrix is annoying but really, it's an annoying higher level power that can be killed by a tier 1 power (which doubles as a useful heal). Once they let us Medical Team ourselves, I think Viral Matrix will be borderline useless.

I also like Aceton and Target Subsystem Weapons II. I also suspect that Target Subsystem Engines II would be good as well. They seem to put on a debuff that lasts for 30 seconds and while I haven't tried the Engine one, the Weapon one makes a noticable dent in the target's DPS.

So while there are some popular skills that you basically can't live without, I do think there's good diversity out there.

Incidentally, I'd love to see the devs try a big change like cutting all DPS by 50% and all healing by 60%. Slow the killing rate down and slow the healing rate down by a little more than that.

Cause without RSP at Captain level, you can lose your cruiser way too fast.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
macro turrets? Please elaborate.

They load up nothing but turrets. Pop all your tactical dps boots + rapid fire.

Watch as 6-8 turrets eat your face off with a spam of weapons fire. Since it is technically cannon fire feedback is useless against it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
my tier 4 experience was fairly different, this was before we learned about the stupid stuff that broke the game though. I sympathize with you
Forgive me but nothing broke the game, it's been broken and the people who speed leveled were telling us. Now a few days later more of the basic players are learning the same sad truth. Less than 2 weeks after release we are talking about what broke the game. That's the sad truth.

Comprimise broke the game.

One Faction of the game has exactly one uncustomizable, or basicly uncustomizable set of cloths.

One Faction has virtually no custimization of their ships,

One Faction has far to little content, the other basicly has none and what it does have is filled with unforgivable levels of time sinkage. Doesn't the design team know boring isn't good for any game? I suppose if the game were written for seniors maybe a nap time every 4 minutes is good but it wasn't.

PVP is not rewarding and the fun is countered by way to many delays and sinks.

I was amazed to see just how few people are playing Klingons. Then given the motivations for playing them I suppose I am not surprised. One one side there is at least some content. You can avoid the 5+ minute ques by changing zones and more or less just keep playing. The Klingons can not. They are burdened with very little of the spice as limited as it is that the federation has and tons of delays.

If it makes you feel better when Champions was released there were only a handfull of powers players really enjoyed using. Within a week or so the Devs began nerfing everything fun until they ended up with a game where last I knew no power was really good, not set was exceptionally enjoyable and players mostly sat around discussing when and if they were getting new content. I expect that if history is any indication the powers your complaining about and any you personally like to use will very likely not work the way they do now as soon as the server crashes and performance issues can be worked out.

Since PVP sucks anyway maybe the Devs should let Klingons do the same content the Federation does now. It's easy and frankly why would they spend Dev time building content for only one side or the other when niether has the content they deserve.