Lt. Commander
I have Hughesnet and trying to download the huge patches is nearly impossible. Hughesnet only allows about 350mb every 4 hours because of a stupid fair access policy and the way the patch is set up you can't stop and start again where the download left off. Hughesnet does allow a more relaxed download time from 2 am to 7 am (est) but for some reason the STO server goes down during that time too and I'm back at square one. Is there a disk or something that can order with the patch or will the servers ever stay on all night? It's frustrating because I've had the game for a week and still can't play it because of this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Two things:

1) Yes the patcher does continue where you've left off. Take a close look at the numbers next time.

2) Trying to play STO (or most any MMO for that matter) on a satellite connection is an exercise in futility. I'm sorry you're in the boonies where there is no other option (or else you would've switched to it by now), but a full second ping (on average) does not make for acceptable gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Hughsnet? Dam, I feel sorry for you man, I really do.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromAccounting
Two things:

1) Yes the patcher does continue where you've left off. Take a close look at the numbers next time.

2) Trying to play STO (or most any MMO for that matter) on a satellite connection is an exercise in futility. I'm sorry you're in the boonies where there is no other option (or else you would've switched to it by now), but a full second ping (on average) does not make for acceptable gameplay.
You're darn right I would have swithced it by now. Those hughesnet ads on TV make me gag every time I see one. They're a joke. Verizon broadband should be coming my way eventually but as far as I'm concerned tomorrow isn't soon enough.
Just a bty, I played EVE online with no problems although I'm sure there's no comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Check to see if there is cellular broadband in your area, via 3g or whatever other means there is. Those data plans are FAR better than anything you can get with the sat stuff. My parents live in nowhere Oregon and had this problem for a LONG time. Recently VZW came into the area and BAM, one cellular booster and and air card capable router and they were in business. 2 megabit, 5g through put a month (until 4g comes out then the unlimited packages hit again)

Though I don't see how this is a UI related complaint for the forums, more a "general".