Lt. Commander
# 61
02-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyluryn
EVE Online, PVE / PVP mix and it's doing well for it's market
Have to interject on this one.

Eve is NOT PVE / PVP mix

Eve Is PVP with the option to attempt to PVE due to their combat system.

There is an old addage in Eve.

"By pressing undock you agree to non-consensual pvp"

And it couldnt be a more accurate statement.

And Eve couldnt be more successful.

The problem with Eve is it's players are mainly of an Elitest mindset becasue I killed you, therefore I am better than you, and now i haz ur stuffs.

I cant figure exactally what is wrong with the PvP in this game, I like it but i feel the CC "spells" need a bit looking into.

As for open pvp areas i'd be all for it but with their current game design i dont see how it could be worked into the instances without it being immensley one sided. IE Instance has a cap of 50... so who is to say that 40 klingons enter before 10 fed do... then its 4-1 ratio. They went with a queue and i think they will not be able to change much in terms of engagement ways
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outllaw View Post
"By pressing undock you agree to non-consensual pvp"

And it couldnt be a more accurate statement.
Incorrect.

"By logging into this game you consent to pvp."

Even playing the market is a type of pvp as you are competing with other players, some of the absolutely cutthroat in their market practices (like playing pirates to suicide gank your haulers )
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Ahh yea i forgot about the market but I'm just a pirate Corp CEO lol but yea there too
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-14-2010, 06:00 AM
PvP in this game has gotten stale fast because it is riskless and rewardless. You win, you lose - you get the exact same reward as the person who sucks or the person who is at the top of their game. Why bother fighting in the same map the 100th time and wasting 20+ minutes on a match when you can simply take your shields off and be done with it in 3 minutes.

PvP is not a fun part of the game, it is a mindless grind now. Sure it was fun T1-2-3 ... but after 100-150 Cracked Planets, Solar Winds, Salvage Ops... let's just say that the prospect of seeing the queue pop up for me and my team doesn't excite me anymore. The feeling went from - wee PvP let's go - to meh, let's just get this over with so I can make Captain/BG/go play my fed.

The only reason people reached BG as Klingons was to see the Carrier and be done with the faction.

If people say "We reached T5 too fast" ... We just followed Cryptic's "content" (and I use the word as generously as I can). PvP, PvP, PvP - now with the experience nerf you don't just need 300+ games (number comes out of my behind) to get to T5, but 400-450... Is that an incentive to play?
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Yes, there are definitely things on the table for Klingons. I'm a die hard Klingon player and I wanted them in no matter what. Believe me, we'll get more in. Otherwise, I'm going postal.
Good to hear from you, Jack. I'm still playing (how could I not?}, but we Klingons could definitely use a little attention here.
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Yes, there are definitely things on the table for Klingons. I'm a die hard Klingon player and I wanted them in no matter what. Believe me, we'll get more in. Otherwise, I'm going postal.
Thanks Jackalope. =)
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyluryn
lol this has not been proven true in any game at any time ever. Even Eve online which is heavily PVP has a very large portion of the game population never take part in daily or weekly PVP, but almost all players take part in the PVE content.
I think you are right. The only example I can think of is the Darktide server for Asheron's Call. While the other servers were voluntary PvP Darktide as pure PvP all day every day. They passed 10 years there. Can't speak to the server population at this point but it lasted 5 years with a decent population. And it was wide open PvP. I recall trying to roll new toons and getting ganked at the first spawn in location by level 120's who were bored. There was no where to hide, nothing was instanced.

Dark Age of Camelot sort of forced PvP on casual players. Quests would have bosses in the open PvP area. But it wasn't constant.
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJiang
Open PvP I hope. No amount of PvE will be adequate in the long term. Open PvP is what will keep your customers.
This is what I want. My main charater is a Fed right now because I prefer PvE. I also enjoy PvP but not to the same extent. However, I can't wait to see a Klingon invasion K-7 or Earth Spacedock. These sort of activities build a community.
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Firstly I will say that I have played federation to Admiral and along the way have been able to aquire a lot of equipment , allways having to goto the bank to put stuff in and regularly selling stuff for energy credits.

The amout of ship equipment is just amazing and the quality too.

Now for a change I started to play Klingon (first time since Beta), the exp is very slow, the equipment is throttled, energy credits few and far between. Add to this that there is no cruiser class at LC rank.

The levelling is probably about 50% slower than fed even though I anm almost instantly getting a pvp game every time I select one. So after countless pvp matches I find that I can only buy some Mk 2 stuff and one Mk4 console.Also when I played fed I managed a whole rank and then some during the weekend, playing Klingon however was just 6 levels!

Add to this the 'get killed by federation captains ' mission and a sorry picture is beginning to form, also at a certain level federation cruisers seem to be impervious to my disruptors with very little damage being done to their shields , however they rip through mine which is odd as they use beams and I use canons! Head on a BOP should allways win with this configuration, the early levels were fine , it just seems lacking at LC somehow.

I can see though with a Business model how you would do more for federation players as there are a lot more of them. So my advice for Klingons is to play federation till the problem is addressed as you are just wasting time!
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius_Raeder
I wouldn't be surprised if they neuter the rewards given when it comes to FvF combat. That way, if the Feds really want the juicy rewards they will still have to fight us!

On another note, the Devs HAVE announced that there will be a bunch of klingon content in the first 'major' patch that is apparently due out in @a months time. I know, I know, a month may seem like forever to the ADHD MMO crowd but it will come faster than you think and the Klingons SHOULD be a much more satisfying gaming experience.
They said it would be 45 Days, but please look at the statement. They had Months of Closed Beta, Weeks or Open Beta, and then the head start and they still couldnt get the missions and game playable at release. I am sure we will see some sort of a content patch for klingons but I can only imagine the quality of the patch.