Lt. Commander
# 11
02-14-2010, 06:08 AM
I do hope no-ones suggesting that the GT 230 is a "high end" card.......
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I would suggest you get a system monitor up and running before you play. Watch you peek temps. A one year old pc has had plenty of time to collect dust and what not to plug heat sinks which will overheat your system causing the game to crash to desktop and leave you thinking it was the game.. This game is gpu heat machine regardless of settings. This was a problem I was having. Old Pc , soon to upgrade so I get lazy and don't clean it as often as I should , bam half pluged sinks and overheating. Cleaned it up , temps dropped 15c and all things are good.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidious
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Nuff said.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Tanks to Tedgp123 for the qquick responce.

I it seems that the problem is solved, I have now played for 2 days without any crash, and is playing at the higest posible setting. I cant say what actually solved the problem - must have been one of the fixes in the patch.

A big tanks to then Cryptic team.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2010, 12:22 PM
A quick remark to Splyce.

The GeForce GT 230 was one of the 5 best GeForce cards in 2009, so yes its still a high end card !!!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darain
I bought this new computer last year. I have played WOW for years and started playing **** without any problems, then I started playing Star trek online from the Beta, so far I have not been able to play without the game is crashing every 30 minuts or so with all kinds of problems.

My System:
GeForce GT 230
Ram 6 GB
Intel Core i7 CPU
Windows Vista 64-bit

I have tried to turn down all settings to 50% but the game is still crashing. (at 50% on all settings it looks like the graphich on my old "spectrum" from the old days - everything blured out - old days yes I have been a programmer myself for 30 years and my hobby is online games)

Its starting to **** me off after paying for a 6 month period, normally I would simply drop a poor programed game like this, but now Im just hanging in until the time runs out before dropping the game if this continues.
Just a graphics card wont fix your problem as yours is not all that bad consideing its a 2009 card,

I assume your also running single core.

If you computer does not have a 7900 + card and a duel core at a very minimum its very out dated.

This can all be solved for 150 - 300 squid.

Also lose lol Vista and use XP SP3 or Win 7 for gaming pal.

Assuming it is a Hardware issue, Any windows Error logs etc popping up ??

HE SORTED THE PROBLEM ITS UP THERE SOMEWHERE
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidious
I would suggest you get a system monitor up and running before you play. Watch you peek temps. A one year old pc has had plenty of time to collect dust and what not to plug heat sinks which will overheat your system causing the game to crash to desktop and leave you thinking it was the game.. This game is gpu heat machine regardless of settings. This was a problem I was having. Old Pc , soon to upgrade so I get lazy and don't clean it as often as I should , bam half pluged sinks and overheating. Cleaned it up , temps dropped 15c and all things are good.

I got a warning for asking a guy why he was trolling and flaming people calling them Fanbois when the said guy had Kid spock as his Avatar and a whole essey of RP in his Sig.

So I'm guessing this was an equally pointless block and edit.

Why don't the trolls and flamers get banned etc ?? I love the game, I pity the CP staff
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splyce View Post
I do hope no-ones suggesting that the GT 230 is a "high end" card.......
It's a moderate/high end card that should be capable of smoothly playing a game of this appearance well. MMOs rarely require much computing power, but when it rivals even crysis.. somethings up.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
There seems to be a lot of heat related issues with this game (from systems that don't otherwise get hot).

There are 2 options in the graphics setting's Troubleshooting tab (the bottom 2) that are meant to reduce heat.

Try using the PerFrameSleep and/or the MaxFPS settings and see if that helps, until a permanent fix is released.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darain
A quick remark to Splyce.

The GeForce GT 230 was one of the 5 best GeForce cards in 2009, so yes its still a high end card !!!
I must be living on a different planet to you.

You're on a planet where a rebranded 9600 GSO from May 2008 (which is a rebranded 8800 GS) is still considered "high end".

A planet where the technology of 2 years ago is considered high end.

A planet where a cheap, bottom of the range, OEM card shipped out by Nvidia to clear old stock is high end.

You're actually telling me that it's in the same list as the GT 240, GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 275, GTX 280, GTX 285 and the GTX 295..... all of which are part of Nvidia's 2008-2009 line up and all of which will destroy it.

Edit - if this doesn't make you see the truth then nothing will: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...GeForce+GT+230 - it's floating in amongst cards such as the x800 xl (which is 5 years old) and the 7900 GS (which is overpriced on ebay at $45).