Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSilver
Ok here is a question. And i guess many people will call me stupid thanks to it, but hell i'll ask it any way.

Is it, or is it not allright to play an Ekosian?

For those wh do not know what an Ekosian is, here is a brief explanation, followed by a link to a ST wiki where you can read more of them.

Ekosians are a humanoid spiecis first encountered by Captain James T. Kirk in the year 2268 (The episode pattern Of Force, TOS). The race was in a war with its sister planet Zeon in what is best described as an extermination war. It is revealed that a federation cultural observer, John Gilles have broken the prime directive and taken a leading role for the Ekosians. In this he has turned them into Nazis.
His goal however was not to make them cruel, merely copying the Nazis effectiveness and power. However the situation turned sour when the commander Melacon assumed possition as Deputy Furer, keeping John Gilles heavily drugged while he assumed command behind the throne, thus making the Ekosian as mad as the German Nazis were.
However thanks to Kirk, Spock and McCoy, Melacon is dethroned, the war is stopped in the last second and the situation is defused. The Ekosians and the Zoens swear an alliance and the Ekosians turn the evil beliefs that was Melacons goal, into what was John Gilles dream, a civilisation good to the heart, but effective and strong as the nazies. In the ending they, and i quote from the series "Now we'll start to live the way the Furer ment us to live", proving that they will not abandon their ways, just correct them and make them to the better.
Spock even comments that they, both the Ekonians and the Zenons will one day be a fine addition to the Federation.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ekosian

So the question is, as short as it can be said: Is it allowed to play a good space nazi?
Some of you will probably wonder "Why do he want to do that?
Simple answers: I like a lot of aspects of the Nazis. Dont take me wrong, they were evil *******s, and their beliefs of the supremacy of the fatherland was beyond stupid. But as John Gilles comment, earth have never been so effective as under the nazi rule. i love the uniforms, even though i guess they are impossible to make in STO, but still.
Three, how awesome isnt it with the contradiction of Good Nazis?

Then again, i dont want to be banned, and i certainly dont want to offend people, so im asking the question here. Is it allright? What do you think?
Racial insensitivities aside (as well as the history of the German National Socialist Party) - I think you'd be told to change your roleplay real fast, and/or have your character deleted for you.

Why? BEcause good or not, portrayal of ANY "Nazi" in a positive light is illegal in certain countries. Specifically, in Germany. To prevent Cryptic from coming under legal fire there (and in Germany ot's perfectly legal to prosecute entities in other countries for offenses in German law), they'd have no choice but to squelch your "roleplay", and damn fast, too. Remember, in Germany it's illegal to promote ANYTHING "Nazi", to sell "Nazi" memorabilia (and ebay's caught the brunt of that a few times), etc etc et-freakin-c....

Real Bhad Idea, that. Not to mention that particular episode of ST being a very badly done morality tale...why would you WANT to roleplay a one-shot race from a poor TOS episode UNLESS it was the "Nazi" elements that attracted you in the first place? If I were you, I'd examine your motives a bit more closely.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSilver
However it seems i wont be playing much at all today... realy STO, couldnt you choose another day to commit Harakiri?
Server is up and has been for a couple hours now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-14-2010, 09:30 AM
The weren't actually Nazi's anyway. They just happen to land on earth, not have any technology to get home so they made a "deal" with the Nazis and basically controlled their actions to serve their goal. So in essence, they manipulated the Nazis but were not actually Nazis. Heck, even in the end of that two-part episode, they broke the deal with the Nazis and killed the Commander.

To try and role-play them as Nazi affiliated still would not only go against their current lore, but also probably be a bannable offense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSilver
Well thing is.. I dont realy like Vulcans. Sure Spock was an entertaining character, but i have pretty much the same problem with Vulcans as i have with Jedis in Star Wars. You cant be "Good" if you lack feelings as much as the are suppose to do...
This wouldn't be the place to get into a big discussion about Vulcans, but what's "fascinating" to me about Vulcans is not their often presumed lack of emotion (which only comes through Kohlinar) but in their efforts to deal with emotions and put a violent history behind them. I just perceive a lot more going on under the surface than you might expect from a "thinking machine"-type being.

For example, what can you say is necessarily logical, for a logical race, about maintaining religious-type rites and traditions? And isn't there something almost magical (highly illogical) about the mental abilities they have and their projection of will? Yah, a lot going on under the surface in my opinion.

But this is a discussion for another place and time (and that's probably all I'd want to contribute at the moment, anyway).

---

P.S. But, yeah, no Nazis -- but one's past can be anything.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
The weren't actually Nazi's anyway. They just happen to land on earth, not have any technology to get home so they made a "deal" with the Nazis and basically controlled their actions to serve their goal. So in essence, they manipulated the Nazis but were not actually Nazis. Heck, even in the end of that two-part episode, they broke the deal with the Nazis and killed the Commander.

To try and role-play them as Nazi affiliated still would not only go against their current lore, but also probably be a bannable offense.
You're confusing the story arc from Enterprise with the TOS episode with the Ekosians.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Why? BEcause good or not, portrayal of ANY "Nazi" in a positive light is illegal in certain countries. Specifically, in Germany. To prevent Cryptic from coming under legal fire there (and in Germany ot's perfectly legal to prosecute entities in other countries for offenses in German law), they'd have no choice but to squelch your "roleplay", and damn fast, too. Remember, in Germany it's illegal to promote ANYTHING "Nazi", to sell "Nazi" memorabilia (and ebay's caught the brunt of that a few times), etc etc et-freakin-c....
I actually didnt know that. Thank you.
And yes, i am attracted to the Nazi element. But as i said before, not to the "lets kill all that isnt Us" part, rather the idea "What if you take Nazis and turn them good guys? How would it be?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSilver
I actually didnt know that. Thank you.
And yes, i am attracted to the Nazi element. But as i said before, not to the "lets kill all that isnt Us" part, rather the idea "What if you take Nazis and turn them good guys? How would it be?"
The only way to interpret Nazis as the good guys is to adopt their mantra of hate and bigotry. Then all the rest of us are the bad guys. You really need to do some research on what the Nazis and especially now the Neo- nazi movement is all about, and really let your parents know so they can help you get over it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Playing a 'good nazi' would be a contradiction. There is no such thing. They did have some amazing uniforms though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
The only way to interpret Nazis as the good guys is to adopt their mantra of hate and bigotry. Then all the rest of us are the bad guys. You really need to do some research on what the Nazis and especially now the Neo- nazi movement is all about, and really let your parents know so they can help you get over it.
Cute response. Check the history yourself. Hitler didnt only do bad things you know. agreed, he is/was/probably will be one of the crulest men in history. But fact is that no country ever before or after nazi germany have had such a recovery from such a low state as it was in when Hitler took power. and that was before he started killing of the jews. Cultural events were common, the spirit were high. Both he an Mussilini (Or however you spell his name) were celebrated by many of the world leaders as briliant men, before the war began. before madness struck. So go read your own history before you go telling it to others.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
The only way to interpret Nazis as the good guys is to adopt their mantra of hate and bigotry. Then all the rest of us are the bad guys.
This. Every group that prosecutes and demonizes another group thinks they are the good guys. They are doing what they are doing for the good of everyone (as long as they think and behave as they do.) The Nazis are just the most well known example of this.

There is no way to separate it into "good nazi" or "bad nazi", even in a fictional setting. Borg and similar races are a metaphor for things like Nazis because it allows deeper introspection than just saying "space nazi". Although a closer alien to nazi is species 8472, at least at first, "The weak must perish" and killing all life not like them.

Best advice, keep Nazis out of the game, even in cannon ones. You'll save yourself trouble, unless that's actually your goal.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 AM.