Lt. Commander
# 1 Lights and Shadows are SO off!
02-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Sorry, but I dunno who sets the lights and shadows in STO, but every 3D amateur could do that better!

Often on planets I have extreme highlights like blinding me, and many other times the characters are WAY darker than the environment. Its most striking in artificial environments. When you create a sort of lamp, you need to place a lightsource which reflects on the surface. But all too often my character wanders in areas, highlighted by a lamp but the character itself stays dark. It seems characters are not programmed to really be lightened.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I have similar problems.

A bright orange planet looked at dead ahead and it glows like a sun blinding you yet turn your view about '90 with it barley in view and it looks like an orange planet.

Some instances I just have to abort because I can't see anything, its too bright. I have set the Bloom down to 20% or off completely and that has helped in one instance but not others.

I only recall noticing my BO portraits and such turning dim when the above is happening. Its annoying but not near as annoying as being blinded.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Seriously they need to fix this, floors that make your eyeballs bleed are not very realistic. I turn overall lighting or bloom down, and my eyes try to adjust to the dark characters, so it's of little help.

I really hate that memory alpha-type flooring in bases. I'm awed that any species could function in such an environment.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I have screenies just havent had the time to upload and do a post of these issues..... Hot spots thru out and ultra highe contast.

CO has the ame issues... some maps the lightening changes room to room. Looks like the same people did this.

I agree it looks very amatuer in many place.

Whenever I brought up some of the obvious mistakes in Beta the fanbois tried to tell me it was my card or bloom settings... But I have screenies with EVERYThing turned off or moved to its lowest setting and the issues are still there. Its not our cards "rendering" anything. It bad light value settings and lights placed in the wrong spot.

You can see most of the issues by simply playing the tutorial. It has most of the problems all grouped together and is the first thing people see!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Here is a quick example.

This is with everything turned down or off. Notice they hotspots on the guys head and hand and the phaser. The fill ight is too intense and its not coming from any actual source on the map. Its just some mysterious flood light coming form off screen.

Low End Version

This next pic is with what I consider "normal" settings. As you can see by adding better resolution and normal effects the bright spot on the transporter chief now washes his face out completely and his hand and the phaser now have a glare.

High End Version

So its obvious the issue is coded into the lighting scheme and has nothing to do with bloom or shadow settings. Its just bad coding. It could just be a typo when someone entered the values. These issues are so persisatnt that I dont understand how anyone approving these maps didnt see the these things right off.