Lt. Commander
# 1 Crystal Entity Attempt #4
02-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Tried to pug this again today while I was waiting for someone to log.

People are still too stupid to complete the match. There was one person in zone telling the correct strategy of killing all shards and five times that many yelling "DONT FOCUS THE SHARDS" like idiots.

We actually got a zone of 5 smart people to focus the shards and got it down to 25% but when the large ones spawn everyone has to focus the shards or they quickly overcome the entire instance, which happened to us.

So in summation, there are still way too many guys kiting 15 shards behind them only focusing the boss for this mission to be completable right now. Please do your part and tell these people how wrong they are so we can stop flying around in circles for hours on end getting nothing done.

I'll try it again in a day and see if people have gotten smarter yet, but I hold very little hope.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Maybe you should have done the Crystal Entity before they changed it like I did. I destroyed this guy no problem and got tons of blue loot which I vendored and made tons of energy creds.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valax1983
Maybe you should have done the Crystal Entity before they changed it like I did. I destroyed this guy no problem and got tons of blue loot which I vendored and made tons of energy creds.
While I appreciate your cool story, bro, I've already got a level 45 Klingon and I already ran crystal entity many times in beta when it was stupidly easy so I'm less worried about completing it and gear than I am about people learning how to complete it, and/or cryptic just changing it.

Also, I have over 10 million energy credits.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 12:57 PM
I entirely doubt people will eventually kill this thing. I tried last night just for kicks.

Somehow I ended up in an instance by myself, which is cool, and I start my circle the thing at 9km and let my beams work. I solo it down to 90% when other people start warping into my instance. the very first guy came in and dropped mines. Instantly back to 100% health. So I just keep circling and by now I've got like 50 fragments following me so that same guy thinks I'm in trouble so he fires at the ones following me. They instantly turn toward him and because he did so at 4 km he gets blown up before he can even try to make an escape.

I saw no less than 3 people turn face first into oncoming fragments and blow up.

And as for the mines thing, if I hadn't seen it with only 2 people around (Me and the guy dropping mines) I wouldn't have believed it would heal the CE. But someone pointed out in another thread that maybe the mines are not destroying the fragments, but that the fragments are actually destroying the mines before they blow up, therefore counting as something "destroyed" and healing the CE.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Just - I appreciate your frustration, it comes through, but A) no need to take that first replies bait and be baited, and B) if you slow down and actually constructively set out the CORRECT strategy, people might improve on a confusing content and situation.

I've not tried CE yet, frankly I'm afraid to waste my time. I've seen constant chatter in ingame chat by players expressing frustration that other players ruin it over and over so they can't get it done. It sounds like that other one with the Borg area where players keep killing the Repair Hubs and ruining the attempt for players - in one case we tried 8 times and no matter how hard we tried communicating, some player would still destroy the repair hubs and ruin it for everyone.

So, in real summary:

1 - Cryptic: Stop designing our content to rely on PUGS to read and listen... its not good gameplay and its not good design. If you're going to provide PUG driven content, make sure your dos and donts are clearly stated in mission objectives that players (even blind ones) can read and see. Other games have done this by putting the mission "Donts" clearly in red text with a counter, and when the counter is reached, it says FAIL. These content points don't clearly say it enough for the knumbskulls and they're ruining your content and our gameplay.

Further, Cryptic, it has been said that some of the problem, like as with the Borg one mentioned above, is you're combining content such that some players are actually after those objectives that ruin it for other player's objectives, so there's a conflict because you've combined instances serving multiple quests, and they ruin it for each other. If this is true - Double bad design on you.

2 - To the OP, while we're waiting on Cryptic to add clarity and content refinement (see point 1 above), you could be more clear in stating what the objective strategies really are (the do's and don'ts at various stages)... otherwise, this thread is a bit of a waste of everyone's time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know why Cryptic listened to whiners. It was fine on difficulty before if you had the correct level players in teh instance. The only reason it seemed so easy was due to higher levels throwing out more dps. It's retarded now much like the ground pvp changes. Powerhue change anyone? Priorities need to be made starting with actually learning how to keep your game stable. I can make a quick list of what's actually important.

1 stability (servers that are offline for far too much time with no compensation equal bad press)

2 content (within reason as of now there is very little 40+ fed side and virtually zero klingon side)

3 balance pve/pvp

Where does the crystal fit into this? It doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
This isn't that hard of a fight. It's coordinating a 20man pug that is the problem. If 1 or 2 people don't listen it screws up the entire fight seeing the thing can heal FAST(especially below the 30% mark). Because of the instancing you always get a few people that are brand new to the mission every couple of minutes and run around ruining things.

You literally have to put a group together BEFORE hand and then enter an instance.

Last night we had a few people chatting over the Zonechat for people who know whats what to enter a certain zone. We did excellent and got him down to 25% but we kept having noobs jump in and ruin the strat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah I tried 3 or 4 times, then we had him down to 30% and the server crashed.

You have to kill the shards, though people don't seem to realize that when there are a bunch, the first oes you better kill are the Small ones if they're up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skataneric View Post
This isn't that hard of a fight. It's coordinating a 20man pug that is the problem. If 1 or 2 people don't listen it screws up the entire fight seeing the thing can heal FAST(especially below the 30% mark). Because of the instancing you always get a few people that are brand new to the mission every couple of minutes and run around ruining things.

You literally have to put a group together BEFORE hand and then enter an instance.

Last night we had a few people chatting over the Zonechat for people who know whats what to enter a certain zone. We did excellent and got him down to 25% but we kept having noobs jump in and ruin the strat.
Hence my comments. (Point #1 in my post above)
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
*snip*
1 - Cryptic: Stop designing our content to rely on PUGS to read and listen... its not good gameplay and its not good design. If you're going to provide PUG driven content, make sure your dos and donts are clearly stated in mission objectives that players (even blind ones) can read and see. Other games have done this by putting the mission "Donts" clearly in red text with a counter, and when the counter is reached, it says FAIL. These content points don't clearly say it enough for the knumbskulls and they're ruining your content and our gameplay.

Further, Cryptic, it has been said that some of the problem, like as with the Borg one, is you're combining content such that some players are actually after those objectives that ruin it for other player's objectives, so there's a conflict because you've combined instances serving multiple quests, and they ruin it for each other. If this is true - Double bad design on you.

2 - To the OP, while we're waiting on Cryptic to add clarity and content refinement (see point 1 above), you could be more clear in stating what the objective strategies really are (the do's and don'ts at various stages)... otherwise, this thread is a bit of a waste of everyone's time.

Actually, probably a better solution than # 1 would be a feature allowing a person of group of people to spin off a copy of the instance and lock it, preventing others from entering. That way, if you and your fleet mates want to do the episode by yourselves, you can without having a frustrating incident with someone who is ill-prepared to tackle the episode who randomly joins your copy of the instance.

By supporting the method they have now along with this private instanced version you can meet the needs of both sides of the community.

Incidentally, it would be nice to have a strategy section of the forums for discussing current and future episodes like the Crystalline Entity and how best to tackle them.

~ Arch