Lt. Commander
# 1 True Reason the Server is down
02-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Server space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the USS Lack of Testing. Its mission, to release a game with far too little beta testing and far too many bugs. To have ticket and bug reports that stretch from parsec to parsec. To lack the time or resources to get these issues resolved to help bleed the fun out of the game.

This would be funny if it were not so sad. The game play is not ground breaking. Nor is the user interface. The missions? Same old kill, collect or explore with a different skin and some different details. To be honest the whole appeal of the game is it is Star Trek.

SO the fact that I am writing this post rather than playing the game is unbelievable. I understand a lot of work goes into these games. People put their blood sweat and tears into it and likely it was a clueless suit who made the call to release before this was ready. But seriously guys you are currently on task to be one of the least stable game releases I have seen. You are being talked about in the same breath with Tabula Rasa and that ilk.

It is unacceptable to have the server go down this much. And for hours at a time. Because of the lack of ANY feedback at all from Cryptic the users are left hanging in the dark. Or we could go over to IRC and listen to the inane mods, no thanks.

Someone over there needs to grab the reins, do what needs to be done and get this issue resolved. Bring some temp staff in because you need to get on top of this. You never should have released a game in this condition and if you don't take care of it soon a lot of people are going to go do something a lot less annoying. Like smack themselves in the face with a hammer.

Thank god I did not get suckered into buying a lifetime subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 12:33 PM
[quote=lobon;2088081]Server space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the USS Lack of Testing. Its mission, to release a game with far too little beta testing and far too many bugs. To have ticket and bug reports that stretch from parsec to parsec. To lack the time or resources to get these issues resolved to help bleed the fun out of the game.

This, my firend is priceless. I don't think anyone could put this any better.

I have been a Trek Fan for many, many years. I have gone to conventions, watched every episode of every Trek Series that has ever been on TV and read tons of Trek Books.

I was sooooo excited when word of this game came out. Open Beta Started on My Birthday and My Husband (the Wonderful, Patient man that he is) asked me what I wanted for my B-Day. Took me 3 seconds to say "Star Trek Online Collector's Edition".

I am extremely disappointed in how this game has turned out. Cryptic can't keep the servers up, and they simply refuse to communicate to the people who have paid hundreds of dollars to play this game the honest truth as to why there are so many problems. They won't even respond to the hundreds of tickets that have been submitted. The only ticket I submitted that they answered was when I was stuck in a system and could not leave, and it took them 4 days before a GM contacted me in game and asked me if I was still stuck. I was able to solve the issue myself, the same day it happened. I asked the GM why it took so long for someone to get back to me about my issue, and he simply logged off without any explaination or anything.

It is really sad that this game did not turn out like we all hoped it would.