Lt. Commander
I have played many MMO's and one thing is a universal constant in all of them. The people who cry for nerf. They will always be there for every MMO that has any difference at all between factions. The three MMO's I enjoyed that had this happen: **** (Dark Ages of Camelot), WAR (Warhammer Online) and WoW (yes I admit I used to like WoW).

For those who have not enjoyed many MMO's let me explain this. If one side has anything different at all, the other side will have people to comnplain about it, regardless if there is any veracity to it or not. If your faction has ability x, then it will be whined and cried about. Even if the other side has an equal but different ability. For the old **** players, there were three factions with different races and classes. There were similar classes but their abilities were not all the same. Same as War (though only two factions with 12 different classes per faction), and in the beginning of WoW there was 1 different classes per faction.

If you were to log onto the forums, you will see constant cry's that classes where overpowered, or race + class were overpowered, because they could do something that their faction could not. A prime example of this is look at WoW's old forums about Shaman and Paladins. Blizzard finally caved and gave both factions the same classes. Then there was a whine fest about horde racials being superior in every way. Then the whine fest moved on to imbalances between classes. Face it people, there will always be whiners who cry for nerf, no matter how equal the factions actually are.

The whiners will not be happy till both sides are identacle, with only the models being different from each other. Then once that happens, they will start crying about how ship class x is better then ship class y. Then once all ships are identical, they will whine that weapon A is better then weapon B. The only way to stop the cry's for nerf is for everyone to have the same exact ship, same exact loadout.

This is no way meant to say that there is not room for some things to be tweaked a little for better balance. But unfortunatetly those voices get shouted over by the massive whine-fest. So if you are new to MMO's or new to multiple faction, pvp centric MMO's, be warned, the cries will never stop.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I like to think if everyone crys nerf something is going well.

What amuses me is that in ground PvP people still claim Klingons are over powered and always Win when there is almost no diffrence in the ground stats and comes down to experiance and equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 12:35 PM
wall of text and a QQ post? good job.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I remember when my EQ1 Monk was nerfed to hell... My EQ1 Necro.... My EQ1 shaman...
My EQ2 toons never got that much nerfing... however I left before they did...
I remember when the entire SWG universe was completely nerfed to satisfy the few....
WoW - everything nerfed unless your a paladin....

Nerfs ruin a game more often then they fix the game....

I also believe that the time speant on Dev side talking about these lame duck issues from the minority groups on mmo's waste time which could be better speant fixxing real issues in the game mechanics. Like respeccing, better incentives to make klingons so that fed players can actually play pvp a few times in an hour. Adding more coherant info on skills and skill trees. blah blah blah...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael102 View Post

What amuses me is that in ground PvP people still claim Klingons are over powered and always Win when there is almost no diffrence in the ground stats and comes down to experiance and equipment.
yup, the only difference is that the klingongs can only level by doing pvp, while the feds dabble in it like a hobby.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael102 View Post

Actually most Klings think FEDS are OP in ground combat due to running into 1 shot tactical officers and 1 skill 100% expose science officers.

not actually 100% expose rate, but fed vs kdf expose:

1 - 3 tries a FED gets an expose

10 - never happening in a match tries a KDF gets an expose

This is mainly because FEDS put points into some ground skills as they have PVE ground based content and some go to the extreme and actually make a Ground PVP based character with skills into higher % rate for expose, expose duration etc.

KDF mainly just focus on Space as we have no "real" ground PVE content other than Ice Mining Fleet Action (which hardly anyone touches due to Regen rates and such of the NPC's) - takes a good 1hr - 2hrs to finish depending on the group numbers, then to get T2 loot as the end reward at T5 = BAD. SO we dont focus on ground skills.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Carter
wall of text and a QQ post? good job.
His post was neither. Cool it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, hey, thanks for the obvious. No, really, nobody here has played an MMO before, this is like totally new information.

And anyways, I say bring it on in this game, cause it's even worse than CO was, which is like gobsmacked quality of shocking. I mean, I thought CO was bad, but in STO being permaheld until someone finally gets an expose and one-shots you is a FEATURE here.

But what it needs isn't just nerfing, but a complete overhaul. The system they have here will NEVER be good no matter how much you tweak, they need to redo it.

(this is all ground combat I'm talking about here, space is fine-ish as far as I can tell)