Attack Pattern: Omega I

Lieutenant Engineering
Engineering Team I
Reverse Shield Polarity I

Lieutenant Engineering
Emergency Power to Shields I
Reverse Shield Polarity I

---

Current setup (T2) is three Dual Heavy Plasma Cannons forward, one Quantum Mine Launcher rear.

Planned setup at T5 is three Dual Heavy Plasma Cannons and one Photon Torpedo Launcher forward, and... something rear. Have no idea what.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Use this site
http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch

why tactical team? THY is like getting 2 torps for 1
why charged particle?
why plasma weapons?
why photon torps?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digglez
why tactical team? THY is like getting 2 torps for 1
D'oh, good catch. I'm using Tactical Team I now as I have no torpedo launcher on my ship, but was planning to swap that out for Torpedo: High Yield I at T5 when I get that fourth forward weapon slot.

Quote:
why charged particle?
I have heard good things about it, and it seems rather nasty from having it used on me. I haven't tried it myself so can't speak with much authority on it, though.

Quote:
why plasma weapons?
They seemed to me to have the best secondary effect of the various weapon choices (excepting the new purples added which I don't know much about). I'm open to suggestions if there's another option that is better.

Quote:
why photon torps?
Faster reload speed, mostly, and the fact that you can skill them up lower on the tree than some of the other types. As with everything else, I'm not dead set on them, so if there's a better choice out there I would certainly be willing to try it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I'd get 6 mine launchers. You'll be doing more DPS than using plasma weapons lawl
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 03:03 PM
charged particle burst is a counter to cloak, I've never seen it do any significant damage. Tachyon beam on the other hand can be outright vicious

plasma's dot does not stack and is considered probably one of the weaker energy weapons. only bonus is most people probably wont have noticable resists against it

photons are good for pve. pvp you have a limited window as a BoP and need to do as much damage as possible. if you got 1 or 2 torpedo shots, quantums would do more damage than photons
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcubed
I'd get 6 mine launchers. You'll be doing more DPS than using plasma weapons lawl
What in particular is bad about Plasma energy weapons? I haven't noticed any significant DPS dropoff when I switched from Dual Heavy Disruptor Cannons to Dual Heavy Plasma Cannons, but I've only been using them for a few levels.

EDIT: If it's because the secondary effect is considered lousy (which I guess makes some sense), what is a better choice? I was under the impression that none of them stacked, and if the tooltip's 2.5% chance of proc is correct it seems rather unlikely that they would be occuring frequently enough for that to be an issue anyhow.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 03:05 PM
atm Viral matrix is the flavor of the month. Do not be surprised to see it nerfed near useless-ness in the near future.

but, if you really want to use it.. USE IT!!!! I would get Jam targeting sensors 1 and 2 and Viral matrix 1 and 3. This way you are focusing your deflector and console needs into Sensor array and whatever sensor VM runs on.

with two VM's you are can perma-VM them. If they arent VM'd they are jammed so you can shoot them with impunity.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
What in particular is bad about Plasma energy weapons? I haven't noticed any significant DPS dropoff when I switched from Dual Heavy Disruptor Cannons to Dual Heavy Plasma Cannons, but I've only been using them for a few levels.
use disruptors until antiproton.

Basically, the 2.5% chance to do 'whatever disable you are thinking about' is stupid. You have to deeply analyze this. Get maximum DPS, because the chance you are going to get this proc is next to none. And when you get it, it lasts maybe a FEW seconds.

And by analyze I mean realize that cryptic doesn't have some deeply thought out amazing weapon system.

You want whatever gives you the most damage until antiproton.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Do the bonuses on the Anti-Proton weapons (crit chance, crit severity, accuracy) make up for the fact that given the current cap it is much more difficult to skill them up fully, and their lack of any kind of proc ability? They do the same base damage as any other weapon type.

For example, putting 9 points into the "Starship x Energy Weapons" skill gives you a +52 bonus (whatever that actually translates to in actual bonus damage) to that weapon type.

Are Anti-Proton weapons really so much better that it's worth losing out on the other very useful skills at that tier (such as your T5 Ship Captain skill, Starship Hull Repair, etc.) to max them, or alternately not skilling them fully?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
Do the bonuses on the Anti-Proton weapons (crit chance, crit severity, accuracy) make up for the fact that given the current cap it is much more difficult to skill them up fully, and their lack of any kind of proc ability? They do the same base damage as any other weapon type.

For example, putting 9 points into the "Starship x Energy Weapons" skill gives you a +52 bonus (whatever that actually translates to in actual bonus damage) to that weapon type.

Are Anti-Proton weapons really so much better that it's worth losing out on the other very useful skills at that tier (such as your T5 Ship Captain skill, Starship Hull Repair, etc.) to max them, or alternately not skilling them fully?
probably not.. plus there are no consoles to give them bonus damage.

so you're stuck with disruptors for the entire game ^-^ yay cryptic!!!