Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZed View Post
Hey Everyone,

Been playing the game since CB and as the game progressed to the LIVE version i began to suffer more frequent freezes (total freezes that require a manual restart) or the BSOD.

At first I thought it was the heat issue but Ive limited my FPS to 40 (keep watch of this with Fraps while I play) but I continue to get these issues. They will occur randomly in any type of the game; ground, space, load screen, etc etc.

I completely uninstalled the game and then reinstalled via steam (where I purchased) and yet I still get these problems.

I updated my GFX drivers and downloaded the current (though dated) sound drivers for my ON BOARD sound. I did have an Audigy that I used during CB, OB and Live. Today I tried my onboard sound to see if that was the problem. Since I just crashed again I can say that I dont think its a sound issue.

Here is a DXDiag of my system. Maybe someone can help me out with this. Thank you in advance.

http://pastebin.com/f60c44f5a
It might be Vista (Wasn't designed for gaming) and/or your processors. I had a lot of trouble with AMD in past. I Never bought one of these ever again.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-14-2010, 12:12 AM
IT actually made my Star Trek games to crash.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Guys,

Tried the game after the latest patch. Played about 25min and then got a BSOD. My GPU temps never went over 75 degrees Celsius and i limited the fps in the game at 30 (Fraps verified this the whole time)

When i went to BSOD the error was "Clock interval not received on the secondary processor within the allocated time".

Im thinking thats my CPU...any thoughts?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Tried the game after the latest patch. Played about 25min and then got a BSOD. My GPU temps never went over 75 degrees Celsius and i limited the fps in the game at 30 (Fraps verified this the whole time)

When i went to BSOD the error was "Clock interval not received on the secondary processor within the allocated time".

Thanks
Yes. IT is. Get an Intell and your problems will go away like magic did for me.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

Or when multiple players who dont know how to maintain their system get together, it looks worse than it is.

Modern day hardware ESPECIALLY 260's are designed to run at 100% for a very long time with the right configuration and cooling.

If he is getting blue screens when it's not at 100%, it is definitly a driver or hardware error. Period.

As a side note, STO is a lot more resource intensive than the likes of any single player game or WoW. But it STILL wont cause a Graphics card to overheat or a comp to shut down. Cryptic even added options ingame to help you with that as pure courtesy.

Go try a program called furmark. That pushes your GPU to the absolute max, then holds it there till it encounters errors. STO comes nowhere near that level of processing, so trying to say STO is causing the crashes is just futile.
Yeah, somehow this game is as intensive on my system as Crisis on high settings. Seriously. I tested it.

But to your point, while it's quite true a lot of people are clueless as to properly maintaining their computer, hardware and software alike, I am not. My machine is prime95 and furmark xtreme burn tested and stable for multiple overnight sessions to be certain. Only my GPU is overclocked on the core, halfway through to the maximum with CCC overdrive utlity. It's quite stable and the extra boost is nice. It's a sapphire HD 4830.

But, I DO get crashes and BSODs while running this game, and only this game and Champions online cause it. It's 100% because of dynamic lighting. If anyone is having this issue. DISABLE dynamic lighting now, and your problem should go away.

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks
You may want to verify that your CPU is supported by your motherboard. If it is, it's possible you'll need to flash your BIOS to the latest version to fully support it. ( I had to, for my intel core 2 duo E8400 ).

If it's all good, then make sure your CPU temperatures are operating below 60 Celsius. Use speedfan, or HWmonitor/siw to check.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Never had a BSOD during OB but ever since it went live I get 1 a week and each time I am doing something differently. The last time I opened my inventory window and .... wam BSOD. Now I am near the minimum reqs for my CPU but I am running:

AMD Athlon 64 3500 PRoc at 2.21 Ghz
3 Gb RAM in Dual Channel so 6 Gb of total RAM
Soundblaster X-Fi
NVidia 8600 GTS OC'd

So while it is a bummer that I occasionally BSOD I sort of expecting it.