Lt. Commander
# 11
02-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynd
Wrath of Khan Uniform -
TOS Uniform - I'm glad we finally got our TOS skirts, and it's nice to pair off with TWOK uniform too. (that's how Uhura dressed in TWOK and on).
Speaking of which, why DIDN'T the TWOK uniforms come with skirts. I guess by calling it the Admiral's uniform, they worked their way out of having to worry about that one..

Quote:
Deep Space 9 Uniform - This is by far the worst done of all the add-on uniforms IMO. They either did a crappy job making it and modded it for the TNG - Movie version, or vice versa (the latter would have made more sense as the TNG - Movie version is pretty good). However, there is NO loud texture to it at all in the DS9 series (same in Voyager). It's very nice and clean-cut. I don't remember it being zipped down quit as far in the front, and the undershirt was also just as clean of texture. I am peeved about it since it was my favorite uniform second only to the TWOK uniform. I'd like to see a fix in the future for this... seriously, whoever was in charge of making the uniform, were they even paying attention? I'd say not.
Agreed.. whoever worked on the the uniforms clearly has some sort of leather/vinyl fetish or something. Almost everything is shiny and over textured. Please leave the uniforms that were meant to be replicas of a show's uniform (TOS, TNG, DS9/VOY, etc) the way they were meant to be, or at the very least, let there be an option without the unneccesary textured fabrics.

If the artist responsible is bored and just looking for extra work, have him go back through and make us some bridges that are to scale, and not movie theatre/auditoriums.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
It's an MMO. Having a variety of clothing makes it so everyone isn't the same.

I don't mind it so much. The fact that I can't stand the "new" uniform styles has nothing to do with it.

I do wish the TWOK uniform did have other rank badges other then Captain....If Cryptic needs images of those...They are out there, and any proper trek fan who's been to conventions may have some (I used to...but over the years I've lost all my pins. )
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
The pins are fairly easy to pick out of the movies too methinks. /Shrug.

I don't mind the leather pants so much, but that could be the reason I don't like Cryptic's shirt designs... I do hope they add other styles to the game eventually. We love options!! So sayeth the STO community ^^

Yeah the bridges, and the overall scale of the game world is crappy!! Bridges ARE huge, so are the interiors, and the buildings outside. It's ridiculous. Not to mention the basic bridge design (in it's 4 color schemes), features an off-center view screen. I've read that bridges were added last minute in closed beta, or something to that effect, so I imagine they will get more loving in the future, as well as deck-by-deck starship interiors. This game has promise, but whether Cryptic is up to the task is another question Of course if we keep bashing them, they may simply say to hell with us and walk away from the game, hehe.

FIX DS9 UNIFORMS!!! Yes, I have to end all my posts in this thread with that statement...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynthe
Speaking of which, why DIDN'T the TWOK uniforms come with skirts. I guess by calling it the Admiral's uniform, they worked their way out of having to worry about that one..
Of course, they made the mistake of putting the Captain's pin on it and not the pretty Admiral cross.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I definitely agree that having choice, especially in terms of our uniforms, is a very good feature of this game. I also understand that if this choice wasn't in the game there would be many more complaints than there are now (and there are a few). But in terms of canonized uniforms, I would have preferred it if we didn't see them (except in time-travel missions). In fact, I just have too much respect for those uniforms. I remember when I first heard about the TWOK uniform, and I was so psyched. That is my favorite uniform of them all. But when I thought about it, I felt that if I couldn't change it to be an homage to the TWOK uniform, instead of an exact copy, it would take me out of the game.
Someone else stated before on these forums that there is a precendent in Star Trek for a lot of "choice" in one's uniform - and this is seen in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I have also seen it a little in TOS itself! If you want proof, check out the different emblems that all the ship crews had, and even different colors (check out the Starfleet guy they find on the planet in "Arena" - he has a grey shirt!).
Choice is a good thing, but I think sometimes it can get out of control. I just hope things don't get to the point where people are importing their own skins to the game and flying around in bright green ships or something.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynd
Of course, they made the mistake of putting the Captain's pin on it and not the pretty Admiral cross.
Well now you've just gotten me fired back up about them need skirts too then..
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-14-2010, 10:26 PM
I know exactley what you (the OP) mean. However, I must confess that I only became interested in STO after I heard that you could use old uniforms.

Frankly, I don't like the new uniforms very much. My favourite uniform ist the one from Frist Contact und the later DS9-Seasons onward - as you can see in my avatar.

And while it really doesn't make sense to gibe freedom in choosing your uniform (I mean it wouldn't be an uniform if everyone wears something else) I find it important - gamplay wise - to be able to wear old uniforms.

It is true that the miniskirt - while a good addition to customzation - was bever worn in TOS this way. The women wore a single piece minidress and tights.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-14-2010, 10:31 PM
The TWOK Admiral's Uniform needs a lot of work

Why are we getting the Captain and lower Uniform?

In ST II: TWOK the Admiral's Uniform looks like :

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/me...miral_Kirk.jpg

Notice the white trim along the black trim on the Uniform top.

the Captain's and lower rank uniform looks like

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/me...rk%2C_2293.jpg

From my account page

Activated Features
Star Trek Online - Preorder
Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription
Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A
Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe

If I am reading this correctly, it states Admiral's Uniform, not lesser rank.

This

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/me...miral_Kirk.jpg (Admiral's Uniform)

and this

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/me...nd_squeaks.jpg (Admiral's Uniform)

NOT

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/me...rk%2C_2293.jpg (Captain's Uniform)

In game,

Notice how the trim has no white compared to the Admiral's Uniform in the images above.

Also the Rank Pin in game is currently Captain, not Admiral

Here is a chart of the Rank Pins

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star..._(2270s-2350s) (mid Page)

Match the one you are using in game to the one in the Chart.. it is Captain's Rank, not Admiral

The correct Admiral's Rank pin is : http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Admiralflans44.jpg :

you may want to make several rank pins for the player base to display their rank correctly.

This pin goes on the shoulder and just above the Cuff of the sleeve where the white stripe is.

Example :

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/me...nd_squeaks.jpg

Also the Years of Service is displayed within the white Cuff.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/me...nd_squeaks.jpg

The circular pips denoted 1 year of service, while the oblong squeaks denoted 5 years of service.

And don't forget the Gold Trim above the cuff on the sleeve (refer again to above image).

Didn't the Devs check their sources for proper information, or better yet, just go out and buy the TWOK DVD and watch it?

Edit : Yes I linked the same image several times so the Devs won't have a reason to ignore how the correct uniform should look.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Nice work Pestalence.

I would have to say that the way the TOS uniforms is done now works fine for me. Just make the skirt and the shirt the same color, and it looks like a one piece.

Brynthe: The TWOK uniforms didn't come with the skirt because the female version that we see most, i.e. Uhura's, doesn't have a skirt.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Pestalence_XC, you're my hero Awesome find.

I bet they'd only need to spend a day working on the models and textures to get ALL of the uniforms right... or contract me to have a crack at it, I can work textures and model ^^

Hmm, what an interesting idea... have an MMO company, like Cryptic, put together a small team (on a project by project basis) of players/fans to consider oversights, like the Admiral's uniform, and make corrections, progress monitored by both the player community and the devs, /shrug. Then implemented into the game? Think of all that free labor plus delivering content that is more accurate and higher quality... bah, what is this nonsense I'm ranting!?

Thinking of the possibilities...

And, in the wonderful personal tradition that I have adopted in posting in the thread I started, I hereby continue to rant/rave/whine and cry about the crappy-ass job done on the DS9 uniforms, furthermore, to complain now about all the inconsistencies of TWOK Uniform. I'd be happy with an option to open/close the flap and having pins for every rank.