Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
First, I some facts-

I'm new to MMO's, but not to gaming.
I'm lv39 on the fed side, 7 on the Klingon.
I'm more interested in story-driven missions


OK, that all aside, tonight I tried out some tier4 PvP with my Fed Escort. In 3 different arenas I was brought in WAY after the start of the match. In one case it was 3-0, another 5-5, and another 10-0.

How is it fun/fair/a good idea that one or more players have to start with a massive score deficit? How is it fun/fair/ a good idea to arrive and have missed 20-75% of the action? How is it fun/fair/a good idea to have new players zone in to a mob of enemies and die before they can even start their engines/move 5ft, let alone get a few (non-autofire) shots off?

When I play other PvP games, everyone loads together. Everyone has the same planning time before combat. Everyone has a safe spawning area.

It is too much to ask for these things? Or am I being unreasonable?


Oh, and the Fed Ball is a hilarious and sometimes effective strategy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
First, I agree that -start- of match should be delayed until both sides are evenly populated. I also agree that there should be a safe spawn/start area.

However, I don't agree that start of match should permanently seal the instance until end of match.

Is it fair if one or two players disconnect and that team now has no way of getting new team mates to fill the gap?

Perhaps in 10v10 or greater, this might be feasible. But in 5v5, certainly not.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-14-2010, 10:26 PM
I agree it should wait till all 5 are in game. Also, wouldn't it be nice to play a game with open space without all the crap?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilPhil
First, I some facts-

I'm new to MMO's, but not to gaming.
I'm lv39 on the fed side, 7 on the Klingon.
I'm more interested in story-driven missions


OK, that all aside, tonight I tried out some tier4 PvP with my Fed Escort. In 3 different arenas I was brought in WAY after the start of the match. In one case it was 3-0, another 5-5, and another 10-0.

How is it fun/fair/a good idea that one or more players have to start with a massive score deficit? How is it fun/fair/ a good idea to arrive and have missed 20-75% of the action? How is it fun/fair/a good idea to have new players zone in to a mob of enemies and die before they can even start their engines/move 5ft, let alone get a few (non-autofire) shots off?

When I play other PvP games, everyone loads together. Everyone has the same planning time before combat. Everyone has a safe spawning area.

It is too much to ask for these things? Or am I being unreasonable?


Oh, and the Fed Ball is a hilarious and sometimes effective strategy.
You can blame the coward that warped out of the map for that...
Yes that's right the panty wearing coward with the flowers streaming from his backside warped out and you got to suffer in that loss as a result.
This is an unintended consequence of the que attempting to keep things balanced numberswise.

This is the NUMBER ONE REASON that warping OUT of PvP maps should not be allowed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
You can blame the coward that warped out of the map for that...
Yes that's right the panty wearing coward with the flowers streaming from his backside warped out and you got to suffer in that loss as a result.
This is an unintended consequence of the que attempting to keep things balanced numberswise.

This is the NUMBER ONE REASON that warping OUT of PvP maps should not be allowed.
unless the opposing team is spawncamping people when they zone in. which by all means DOES happen occasionally.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
unless the opposing team is spawncamping people when they zone in. which by all means DOES happen occasionally.
regroup elsewhere and go kill them at the zone in...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah, pvp in this game has a lot of issues.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-14-2010, 11:55 PM
If i jump in and find 5 yellow dots and 1 orange I just log out.

The reason I think you will be putting into an instance where your team is losing is people quit when there team is dieing a lot. In some PvP matches I have been on the finaly score comes up and there are 15 fed names and 5 klingon ones.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Well, just been spawn camped by the same team every single time I zoned into Solar Wind. Along with one person abusing the exploit that lets them sit on neutral.

Not going to name and shame, just wondering what purpose it serves to drive away your competition?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-15-2010, 12:34 AM
This kind of thing has been brought up in MMOs in the past.

Basically because you can queue for multiple matches at once, it often puts you in a game with uneven numbers, so someone else has to eventually get tossed in a game already in progress to even those numbers out.

If players had the option to not go into games already in progress, almost no one would, and thus most games would result in having a winner based entirely on how many people made it into the match at the start, which would make PVP more of a randomized numbers game and significantly displace skill and tactics.

It kinda sucks to be put in a game in progress, but it doesn't really hurt anything except your pride to join a game then lose shortly after. Personally, I enjoy getting in mid-progress games because a quick loss is faster to level up with than a longer win. But not everyone agrees and most people have too much male ego that makes them want to win every time.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 PM.