Lt. Commander
# 1 Support class engineer?
02-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Engineer is support class correct? i can see the support aspect on ground but what do i do in space? i am lvl 11 only seem to be able to effect my ship unless my abilities work on other ships? or is that later?.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Howdy,

check this post (stick on Starfleet Academy subforum). It lists guides/faqs about the game, including the classes discussions.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=106472

I would recomend at least:
1) Explanation on How What Class You Choose Affects the Gameplay
2) STO A Beginner's Guide V 3.0
3) What Character Should You Play?
4) Player Skills v3.0

If after checking all those great guides you still have doubts, feel free to post them up!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 08:15 AM
*posted boff skill by mistake*
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNeutron
Engineer is support class correct? i can see the support aspect on ground but what do i do in space? i am lvl 11 only seem to be able to effect my ship unless my abilities work on other ships? or is that later?.
I'd honestly do what Oculto suggested. Check the guides out, seriously.

Real quick version though - being an Engineer or Science captain or whatever...yeah, you're support, kinda. But virtually none of the powers you get for free are heal/buff abilities. As an Engineer or Science character on the ground, you get those heal/buff powers by equipping kits.

The same applies in space. Your personal abilities don't really matter. What matters is your 'equipment' -if you want to play support, you need to use Engineering and Science bridge officers. Which means you need to fly a Cruiser or Science Vessel. The heal/buff powers in space are split between Engineering and Science.

Engineering BO space skills that heal other players:- Engineering Team, Extend Shields
Science BO space skills that heal other players:- Transfer Shield Strength, Science Team, Hazard Emitters

I'm talking just healing here; of course there's buff powers as well - some of the buffs are even in the Tactical officer line.

It's actually better to understand it like this. Engineering is tank/support. Science is support/debuff. That's not entirely accurate, but it probably helps frame the range of powers available better.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyl View Post
I'd honestly do what Oculto suggested. Check the guides out, seriously.

Real quick version though - being an Engineer or Science captain or whatever...yeah, you're support, kinda. But virtually none of the powers you get for free are heal/buff abilities. As an Engineer or Science character on the ground, you get those heal/buff powers by equipping kits.

The same applies in space. Your personal abilities don't really matter. What matters is your 'equipment' -if you want to play support, you need to use Engineering and Science bridge officers. Which means you need to fly a Cruiser or Science Vessel. The heal/buff powers in space are split between Engineering and Science.

Engineering BO space skills that heal other players:- Engineering Team, Extend Shields
Science BO space skills that heal other players:- Transfer Shield Strength, Science Team, Hazard Emitters

I'm talking just healing here; of course there's buff powers as well - some of the buffs are even in the Tactical officer line.
That is exactly what i was looking for thanks i want to be able to "heal" shields and help other players in trouble in most mmog's i play a healer of some sort.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNeutron
That is exactly what i was looking for thanks i want to be able to "heal" shields and help other players in trouble in most mmog's i play a healer of some sort.
Bear in mind there are two kinds of healing. Shield healing and hull healing. You need both. The skills I listed in my earlier post included both.

If you're flying a Cruiser, lean more on the Engineering heals, obviously. If a Science Vessel, use the Science ones more.

Note that of the powers I listed, 'Transfer Shield Strength' and 'Extend Shields' only work on allies, they can't be cast on yourself. The rest of 'em work on yourself as well. It's an important distinction for some folks.