Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
There needs to be enough different types of gear and all that, but the last thing I want from STO is another WoW gear grind. I would assume there are other people who feel the same. I'd prefer actual interesting content over stat increments.

For me personally looks is often a big a point of interest when getting stuff in a game, and obviously in STO items don't affect looks aside from weapon effects, and those don't change with item quality. I have my ships, I have things to shoot with, now just give me new more interesting and varying content.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I picked up a Dual Antiproton Beam Bank MK X and noted phaser relay tactical consoles due increase the damage.

When I slotted a tactical antiproton mag regulator mk x it did NOT increase the damage of the very rare weapon.

Until a patch is applied to fix this or we find out this is working as intended, the bonus only occur for those with phaser weapon skills and phaser tactical consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I agree, the daily-reward anti-proton weapons provide no tangible gain and made worthless due to the high skillpoint cost to get them on equal footing of all the prior trained weapon types. Not to mention, those prior trained weapon types provide superior special properties and are far, far easier to obtain.

This isn't about an "i Win" button, it's about the fact they aren't worth the effort in time spent to acquire and not bringing anything useful to the table. They are garbage weapon systems, akin to a few other weapon types that are pretty useless as well, but at least those ones you can get your ship easily decked out in inside of a day or two.

Heck, the Tricobalt torpedo might be even more worthless then the Anti-Proton weapons, when they by default fire in a manner similar to the pathetically useless High-yield Plasma torpedo that gets shot down by several dozen different things (not to mention the automated turrets). The risk vs. reward with those two torpedo systems makes them completly worthless, unless the enemy is just oblivious or was fired at point-blank range.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I completely disagree.
The Tricobalt when used correctly is an extremely devestating weapon.
In PvP its best used at very close range, and i played a battle where i scored two kills with tricobalts.
The fact that it also deals area damage that is nearly just as powerful as a direct hit makes it even deadlier.

Is it worth it? thats for you yourself to decide, but for me they are definatley a mainstay on my Sovereign along with my quantum torpedo launcher for backup.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I would also like to point out that the ground weapons cannot be given to your officers. Cryptic apparantly restriced them specifically to player characters.

Frankly, I find that appaling. If I can have this gear so should me away team and there is absolutly no reason why its overpowered to give my npcs equal gear to me. As has already been said, these weapons dont offer much of an improvement so there is no valid excuse for Bridge officers being unable to equip ANY of this gear.

If I want to waste several weeks giving my guys the best armor, shield and weapon in the game I should be allowed to do so. As it is, what could prolong the farming aspect for the people that want a 'full' away team dressed to match is now limited strictly to a week or two as players can only equip themselves.

Its also extremely annoying that this particular feature wasnt highlighted BEFORE purchasing the goods. I now have an item that is nearly useless to me because its specifically for my away team officers. Thats a days wait wasted because once again Cryptic suck at actually EXPLAINING this game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I completely disagree.
In PvP its best used at very close range, and i played a battle where i scored two kills with tricobalts.
The fact that it also deals area damage that is nearly just as powerful as a direct hit makes it even deadlier.

Is it worth it? thats for you yourself to decide, but for me they are definatley a mainstay on my Sovereign along with my quantum torpedo launcher for backup.
This ^^

I haven't played around with anything but the TD's, but from the looks of it you guys just need to learn how to handle them. Just like the T4+ cruisers turn rate.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I completely disagree.

Yeah, any torpedo can kill, it's still an unreliable weapon that can only be effectively used on oblivious opponents or at point-blank range. Still you had to offset it's inherent design flaws with a reliable torpedo launcher. Not to forget, Tricobalt torpedoes cannot be skill modified, meaning the reliable launchers with high-yield torpedo skills will easily outpace the damage capabilities of the Tricobalt torpedo, and not mention can be fired multiple times before the Tricobalt torpedo launcher reloads. So it's pretty worthless.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
Absolutely right. Any time there is any alpha gear/class in a game the game suffers. Slightly better is the way to go.
agreed, I have no issue with current stats on the purp stuff
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I would really just like to see some purple (if not at least blue) quality Mk X phaser arrays or disruptors... etc
to provide more choice and customization at "top-end". As I was sayin earlier I don't wanna give up my green Mk X Polaron and Phaser arrays for these new Anti-proton weapons due to the proc chance of the former arrays. That just seems wrong... that a player would prefer to keep uncommon weaponry instead of "upgrading" to very rare weaponry in a progressive game. I'm not asking for any more huge increments in power or abilities... just more variation of purples available.