Lt. Commander
# 61
02-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMentalxLintx
Looking at the timeline on MMOs, reading the posts of a great many folks whining on these boards, and understanding the lure of the Star Trek license, it's pretty obvious where a lot of the negativity comes from in this game. We've got a few groups of people here:

a) MMO Veterans from years back, who've been through the betas and the bugs and the updates and the "updates," and who understand that MMOs are vastly different from other types of games in that they aren't released as complete, self-contained gaming experiences. They understand that MMO companies all make the choice of exactly WHAT gets left out at release, and no one is 100% happy.

b) MMO Veterans who have allowed their years of playing one particular game spoil them, and cause them to forget the buggy, empty, boring opening periods... which weren't quite as boring to them back then, simply because it was their first time going through it. Now these folks expect every game to release at the level of an older, more developed game which they see through rose-colored glasses.

c) People who are not new to MMOs, but rather have only played MMOs AFTER release... so this is their first RELEASE MMO. As a result, they've never had to see the "sausage factory" before, so to speak. They're used to coming in after the work is done, and they mistakenly believe that's how it was from day one.

d) People who are brand new to MMOs, who will eventually be shuffled into one of the three categories above--not based on the game, but based on how the COMMUNITY makes them feel. Think back to your first game, especially those that played pre-Vent or TeamSpeak. It was that in-game guild chat that defined your feelings as a player.

So, let's not waste any further time attempting to reason with Category B or C people, while they focus on trying to poison Category D. Find those Category D people, help them out, and you'll find there are plenty of them to replace any of the B/C people still haunting these halls. Offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism--which means criticize it, but also provide an alternative or potential fix, not just some self-important ultimatum or "prophecy" of doom.

Signed,

Not a ST or Cryptic Fanboy, but an MMO Fanboy.

The negativity is coming from somewhere outside your options my friend. And may I say without upsetting you, that though I beleive this to be an honorable post with good intentions. At the end of the day it is little different to the post's we wish to avoid, it will not be heeded but it WILL be used to trash talk. You have provided them airtime my friend, not because you are a bad person but because you are trying to reason with a few people that CAN'T or WONT reason. Some people actually enjoy/are addcited to the drama you know?

The reason I say this at all is that I found something interesting as my frustration at the lack of "trek" mentality on these forums has been rather high. But While I may find the forums themselves frustrating, I have been slowly quietly receiving PM's.

ALL of them were helpful and contructve with problems I had posted or in a couple of places people helped me out by giving me stuff i had asked for advice on, but they took it a step futher and gave me thier own.

Really nice thoughtful helpful people.

Before the beta ended I played with payers from the fleet "knightsw of mayhem" and they were awesome fun in game .

Infact ALL ofthe players i have played with soo far have been awesome.

Lead me to a realisation that one of the forum vets were trying to tell me a while ago..and I am starting to beleive it.

He told me that the people who really do have a "trek" mentality(by trek in this case i mean utopian not *****y) are either too busy playing the game, or they read the forums (in some cases) but they didn't post too often if at all.

Meaning you have a section of people that do, and somewhere out of THAT group of people are (some very nice people) smaller but FREQUENT groups of adrenaline junkies.

Not the bungie jumping type. The drama queen type, the ones that realise something: that they can express rage on the net without any comeback from the people they disrespect. We have all been there, I know i have. But dont think it age..being addicted to drama is a way of life so some people will be 14 others will be 65 it's not the age it's the temperament and the learning curve.

Some people will never understand that winning the arguement should not be the highlight of thier day..but more so that while they are "winning" they are the ones getting hot and bothered.This completing the cycle of drama.

I am sorry that was far more than i meant to say. All I am saying is I dont have an answer to the forums current problems except mayeb one..but it would take a community effort: dont respond to pointless/antagonistic threads. But someone always will.

I am in complete support of your post I just feel it will fall on the same deaf ears(and by that I am not labelling the majority please understand that).

I would for one most certainly like thing to get more friendly , anywyas I love the sentiment peace out
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreaker
How dare you not like the game!!!

:p

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Ok I lied I'm going to post in class.

you know what the real problem is. we have two groups of people who want to see this game grow and succeed. those two groups should be working. ( still disagreeing at times ) but should be working together.

then we have people like the person who I quoted. they hate the game, and want to see it fail. they start fights, and instigate the other two groups in to a fight. now I'm not going to talk to him directly, because like a puppy that is misbehaving, you don't give them attention, you ignore them. but this is the problem with the forums. we have people like the poster who post only to harass.

personally I think they do it because they have no life, but there are many other theories out there.
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Who said I was "mad"? Sure, I've seen some mad people on the forums complaining, but not all complainers are foaming at the mouth, lol.

I'm here to stay for a long time. I'm a lifer, etc., in a very stable and active fleet with good folks. But I can certainly complain about missing features and bugs. Some of the members are complaining after "a few weeks" because this still feels like software that should be in open beta, not release. STO was rushed because Cryptic wanted to meet the release deadline set by Atari. You can't deny that.

But I know STO has a ton of potential and will get much better over time, especially after that initial 45 day content update.
no no. I am not saying your "mad".
bleh. Ok. I have a head cold.
The ability to have interconnecting conversations is no longer functioning. I will stop.
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd2010
Group A, But still doesn't stop me from thinking the game is really a waste of a good license.
Well, I think they got it kinda right. We will have to see what else the genesis system has in store.
At the end of the day, I liked DS9 the best because of all the conflict.

It would be a boring game to have to do what a ship captain should be doing and that is sitting in the ready room and listening to what is happening on the ground, and filling out paperwork.
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Many of you seem to be misunderstanding my stance. I fully expect people who are unhappy with aspects of this game (product) to explain exactly what it is they do not like. However, it is the "propose a fix" portion I take issue with.

Many of you obviously have no experience in project management.

You can keep insisting that your doing some good by posting these fixes, but I can guarantee that beyond very general concepts they are ignored. This isn't a custom product, produced to your specifications. It is a general distribution product, designed in accordance with the development plan that was implemented LONG before any of us saw the game.

Here is a simple exercise for those who have been around since early beta. Other than making changes to general complaints how many specific, user suggested, mechanics changes have been even discussed, let alone implemented?

Iím not talking about tweaking values for things, or changing color schemes. I mean real game play mechanics changes.

For those with experience with other MMOs (since this seems to happen in every MMO I have ever seen), how many have you seen?

If you really think it's going to happen, then I would say you really do not understand the industry/business at all.
Lt. Commander
# 66 Agree
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I agree completely and just basicly decided not to feed the animals. I go about my business and when someone comes along being all rabid i just add them to my ignore list.

It's 135 people strong now.
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfx View Post
I agree completely and just basicly decided not to feed the animals. I go about my business and when someone comes along being all rabid i just add them to my ignore list.

It's 135 people strong now.
I wish I could do that, but my ignore is broken. everything I put someone on there I can still see them post. I will say this, of all the game launches I've been in, this one seems to change my mood the most. I guess it's because I'm a major Star Trek Fanboi so to say. every time I read some of the troll post it gets me in a dark mood, but the one way I fix that is to log in, and I get happy again. because while they are out wasting their life away trolling on the forums. I am having fun in my game that does need work, but it is fun to me.
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreaker
Yeah, how dare people expect some quality and a finished project.

How negative....

We are all Star Trek fanboys/girls. That's why we are here. We like Star Trek.

But you OP are a fanboi. Not to mention a whiny one whining about customers with issues, whom you've taken upon yourself to label them as whiners. I can see why others are so negative when it is you yourself that is just as negative if not moreso. That is too sad, but that has come to be expected of fanbois who are easily impressed by devs releasing content that should have been in the game from the start. Of course people like you applaud the way Cryptic has handled the Klingon faction(sic joke) as an example and think they can do no wrong with there being no room for improvement. You can applaud them for rushing the game before completion, just don't be so butt hurt when others think differently.

Honestly if you don't like discussions, you don't belong on discussion forums. Or if you want to pay everybodys sub that you want to shut up and be quiet, I would have no problem with your draconian views then. Otherwise, stick to the trolling and flamebait threads, you are doing a fine job of it.

Fanobys hate on the game and want to see changes.
Fanbois hate on those people over a video game.

There is only one negative group here.

You might want to start rethinking what you people are all about, it sure as hell isn't Star Trek.
Hmm, this is an odd reaction, as I found his post to contain absolutely no whining what so ever. Perhaps you misunderstood? He explained the various types of MMO gamers, which in my experience is spot on and then suggested the community be a little less negative. What do we normally see on these forums day in and day out.

"This game sucks"
"This game is incomplete"
"This is not Star Trek"

This game is Star Trek because the people that own the rights to Star Trek (CBS etc) are backing it. If it isn't your cup of tea you are not required to play it. There are other MMO's out there and more on the way in the next year or so.

Filling these boards with needless posts about how the game sucks and I'm leaving doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help the players and it doesn't help the developers. All it does is rationalize in your brain (the person leaving that is) that their opinion is the only one that matters and everyone should jump ship just because they don't like the game. Let everyone make up their own mind.

Play a game because you have fun doing so, move on if you don't.

Thank you OP for your post.
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YunoLegacy
Most MMOs have at least 3-4 years of actual development. Word is that STO had two.
Two years building on a framework that took 5 years to make. That's 7 years worth of development put into the game. This practice of establishing reusable frameworks is smart programming and will eventually become the industry norm- it's well on its way even outside of Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-15-2010, 11:58 AM
E) People who realize this is a game, and do not expect a partner for life, for it fill some hole in their life, or plan to live their life around it.

Too many players completely lose their perspective. It's amazing how bent out of shape people get when someone trashes the game, or compliments it.