Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
OP you listed a lot of good points in your post. I think the reason you are moving on though is because of a lack of content. If I read it right.

Ive personally barely been playing because I dont want to reach end game. Ive realized how short the game actually is and it worries me. I was hoping to play STO for a good long time. But Im not sure if its really possible to PLAY STO for a long time.

The game is short. People are reaching Admiral easily long before even one month has gone by. Then there is nothing really to do. And its made worse by the fact there is such a limited number of character slots for alts.

Im beginning to think that this games downfall may very well be the severe lack of content. What content that is there is great in my opinion (some things could use some polish). But is there enough of it? I dont think so.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
OP you listed a lot of good points in your post. I think the reason you are moving on though is because of a lack of content. If I read it right.

Ive personally barely been playing because I dont want to reach end game. Ive realized how short the game actually is and it worries me. I was hoping to play STO for a good long time. But Im not sure if its really possible to PLAY STO for a long time.

The game is short. People are reaching Admiral easily long before even one month has gone by. Then there is nothing really to do. And its made worse by the fact there is such a limited number of character slots for alts.

Im beginning to think that this games downfall may very well be the severe lack of content. What content that is there is great in my opinion (some things could use some polish). But is there enough of it? I dont think so.
That is much more of a nutshell than I managed... so thanks

That is it really, I LOVE blowing things up and I don't really care that it isn't the modus operandi of Starfleet to go around blowing up everything that moves. But I just want some new adventures to go on. Time will provide that for sure, I really hope that the game lasts long enough to see it added.

And yes. I do realize that by pulling my personal funds from the game I am not helping in any way.

I am selfish. I apologize.

I am not 100% on my leaving to be honest, I just see no reason to continue subscribing at this point because there isn't much else to do other than build a science officer or something and try out some new skills while doing the same content again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
This wasn't four years after launch, after multiple patches and expansions. This was within the first three months of launch and I was dropping quests within the first week as I got to level 20 and had gray quests that would not be worth my time.
That was down to the fact of different races though rather than an over abundance of clontent. Blizzard needed to have content for each race that eventually joined at some point. This led to lots of low level content. I remember quite clearly the late 30's and early 40's were quite low on playable content.

That having been said, count how many hours you have expended on the game and you will probably think differently. Modern Warfare cost me £40 and was complete in 7 hours of game time, With no replay value other than Spec Ops and online.

We tend to play things we enjoy a lot, not many people can sit down and finish a game from start to finish as quickly as we do and so it some ways we are own worst enemy. Then again, there's very little to do in most of these games. WoW has been out for more than 5 years and all there is at end game is grinding the same locations, amassing fortunes with nothing to spend it on and hoping they release an expansion soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionLMN View Post
That was down to the fact of different races though rather than an over abundance of clontent. Blizzard needed to have content for each race that eventually joined at some point. This led to lots of low level content. I remember quite clearly the late 30's and early 40's were quite low on playable content.

That having been said, count how many hours you have expended on the game and you will probably think differently. Modern Warfare cost me £40 and was complete in 7 hours of game time, With no replay value other than Spec Ops and online.

We tend to play things we enjoy a lot, not many people can sit down and finish a game from start to finish as quickly as we do and so it some ways we are own worst enemy. To slow myself down I created an alt, and to be honest, I',m finding the game just as enjoyable the second time around.

I'm not sure what people expect when they finish a game outside of normal playing times and then find nothing. You need to give Dev's a chance to put content into the games.
I admit I am probably hitting a road block that the great majority of players won't hit all things considered. This is the maiden voyage of the game and the trials and tribble-ations (word play) we are going through won't exist later.

As to the WoW comment, I agree. There was a lot of low end content but I still found plenty to do. I was hesitant to make the correlation because the two games are NOT the same and that is a good thing. There needs to be variety because if Cryptic were setting out to make a WoW clone it would have failed. Miserably. That genre is pretty played out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I think you make some great points here. I did a write up on the beta boards that pointed out much of the same things. All other feedback aside the one that makes least sense to me is the fact that they did not make the documentation for game mechanics. You can read some things in tool tips here and there, or occasionally in spell info but thats about it.

I am with you on wanting to know what is good about certian items vs bad. What is my trade off for one item over the other in the same slot? Your guess is as good as mine right now.

For me this is the largest hole in the game. All the combat stats are mystery and with the way the interface bugs out or changes with just about every patch I guess that might be why we havent seen any publication of this info. They will say it should be one way, but the reality will be that the code is so bugged up that you wont ever get it to behave this way. So a forum riot would ensue.

There were far more posts begging cryptic to keep this bun in the oven than asking for immediate release. Because outside of combat there isnt anything else to do. The RAID content is missing, high end group content is missing, there are no epic grand adventures at top level (GuildWars), no crafting, no diplomacy to undertake, PvP has ho value (in the past even if you hated it there were good reasons to go do it), no player owned housing, no player owned territory to skirmish over... Thus you have a game which is really only good for casual play. Not that that is a bad thing, it is simply not a Full MMO.

I am only sticking around because I cant stand going back to EVE. It has nothing to do with the game itself, just that I no longer run my 6 LCD setup with 6 active accounts. That was the only way for me to really get into the game. Flying only one ship in eve is kinda boring. The market was alot of fun to mess around with / on though. WoW and the other games are just too boring anymore and have been neutered too much. Strangely enough I have re-found delight with single player RPGs!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metricsimpleton View Post
As you didn't elaborate as to which things I mentioned being in the game that are there already I can't discuss that, but I am actually playing right now. I didn't rush anything, I simply played the game more than you did. there are 24 hours in a day and because I have the free time I spent more of them on the game than you.

I did every mission offered me, if you would suggest that I simply sit at Sol and ponder the implications of my actions then I don't see how that could add anything to the game.

There are others that did indeed rush through the game, making RA in 3 days. By comparison my trip through STO was a slow drive on a winding road.

You do imply that I have in some way missed 5/6ths of the game by stating that I watched "20 minutes of a 2 hour movie" If I am missing 5/6ths of the game I would kindly like you to expand on that and tell me where the other 60 sectors are at that I somehow missed. I have already explored 12 of the supposed 72 sectors you imply exist.

My guess is that you seek to attack me directly and in your blind rage you have pulled numbers out of someplace dark. Maybe moist.

As to the implication (and slander) against my ability to find work. It doesn't deserve comment. I believe there is a bridge somewhere requiring your presence under it.

*edit:

I just read my post again and there is nothing in my post that suggests new features, simply some of the same content as we already have and more information to the systems already in place. So disregard this reply. Clearly this was just a troll and attack on me personally and it shouldn't have been acknowledged at all. I will leave it though because sometimes you have to feed the trolls. I would suggest that instead of assuming I am attacking the game you should read the post and form a reply that isn't a soapbox for your own agenda.
I wasn’t attacking and just because I disagree with you does not make me a troll. I gave you no numbers so there for I did not pull them from any orifice on my or anyone else’s body. In your post you stated that you did every mission assigned to you and this is the nature of the problem I am sure that if I spent all my time just doing what I was assigned to do I would be at the end of the game too. My point is that if you play an MMO like a stand alone game you are going to be disappointed every time all games have a start and end point it is what you do between that provides the enjoyment.

I have repeated many missions since I have a friend that has not done them yet and really enjoyed that time since I could fool around due to my higher level skills.

I due have to say I am sorry about the unemployment comment, but hearing someone say they can not find a job makes me throw up a little in my mouth since I have done work that I would not wish own my worst enemy, because I do not feel right about take money from others who are working.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Admittedly, I am worried about the content. I have a captain and a commader at the moment, the commander was to slow me down and also so I could play a character without a messed up skill tree!

Then again, if I enjoy it for a month and cancel I've still gained pretty good bang for the buck. I do enjoy the game, very much so and I think the core of the game is very good. It needs polish. It needs a little more content and options. At the moment levelling is too linear and there doesn't seem to be a different levelling path to take which would make levelling an alt more feasible.

Regarding the last comment about unemployed, I am also unemployed. The general perception, in Britain at least, is if you are unemployed you must be in dire need of money, a lazy sponge or all of the above. I will not take a crappy job just for the sake of having a job. Although I have money, I still claim benefit because I have paid my taxes in the past.

Oh and regarding job availability, where I am from it is very limited. Despite have over 10 years of working worldwide with various companies doing various work onshore and offshore the agencies can't get over the lack of letters or paper to my name, so I will wait until I find something suitable ot at least until Home Office works out that recruitment doesn't need to take 2 years!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidium
I think you make some great points here. I did a write up on the beta boards that pointed out much of the same things. All other feedback aside the one that makes least sense to me is the fact that they did not make the documentation for game mechanics. You can read some things in tool tips here and there, or occasionally in spell info but thats about it.

I am with you on wanting to know what is good about certian items vs bad. What is my trade off for one item over the other in the same slot? Your guess is as good as mine right now.

For me this is the largest hole in the game. All the combat stats are mystery and with the way the interface bugs out or changes with just about every patch I guess that might be why we havent seen any publication of this info. They will say it should be one way, but the reality will be that the code is so bugged up that you wont ever get it to behave this way. So a forum riot would ensue.

There were far more posts begging cryptic to keep this bun in the oven than asking for immediate release. Because outside of combat there isnt anything else to do. The RAID content is missing, high end group content is missing, there are no epic grand adventures at top level (GuildWars), no crafting, no diplomacy to undertake, PvP has ho value (in the past even if you hated it there were good reasons to go do it), no player owned housing, no player owned territory to skirmish over... Thus you have a game which is really only good for casual play. Not that that is a bad thing, it is simply not a Full MMO.

I am only sticking around because I cant stand going back to EVE. It has nothing to do with the game itself, just that I no longer run my 6 LCD setup with 6 active accounts. That was the only way for me to really get into the game. Flying only one ship in eve is kinda boring. The market was alot of fun to mess around with / on though. WoW and the other games are just too boring anymore and have been neutered too much. Strangely enough I have re-found delight with single player RPGs!
I am sure there were a lot of factors involved in the release. Many of which we will never know. There were a lot of irons in the fire with this game and to be honest it shows. It feels like they were trying VERY hard to get you to understand that this is Star Trek. If I could undress my character I am positive my underwear would have a Star Trek logo on it.

The failing is in the small details and lack of content. Both of which can be fixed in the long run and my guess is that is why it was let loose.

I bet you are 100% correct about the tool tips not having any usable info though. A lot of that has yet to stabilize and until it does it makes sense for it to not change. Kudos on thinking outside the box there. Well outside of my box. Why did that sound dirty?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Hello,

I have been playing 2 weeks now and I have only reached level 15. I tend to play 3-4 hours a day maybe a little more at weekends. I tend to gain 1-2 levels a day which I expect to slow down quite a bit as I advance in levels.

I do find it rather hard to understand how people can claim to have already finished the game in the same time without being at the coal face so to speak 12+ hours a day. Dont get me wrong but I have seen this before as a Mod people would claim to finish the game in a few weeks when we reviewed their stats it showed 15 hours + a day in cases. It was a case of people spending a weeks worth of gaming in a single day.

I guess that is your choice but putting in so much in a short space of time it will always result in the same thing you reaching the end. If that was your goal then well done but MMORPG's are not things you can win the point is not to reach the highest level.

MMORPGS are very much about the social aspect and a shared adventure. Being part of the guilde, helping new players, running events etc. Their is a lot more to do than just getting to the highest level but if thats all you think about than perhaps MMORPGS are not the right sort of game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profedius View Post
I wasn’t attacking and just because I disagree with you does not make me a troll. I gave you no numbers so there for I did not pull them from any orifice on my or anyone else’s body. In your post you stated that you did every mission assigned to you and this is the nature of the problem I am sure that if I spent all my time just doing what I was assigned to do I would be at the end of the game too. My point is that if you play an MMO like a stand alone game you are going to be disappointed every time all games have a start and end point it is what you do between that provides the enjoyment.

I have repeated many missions since I have a friend that has not done them yet and really enjoyed that time since I could fool around due to my higher level skills.

I due have to say I am sorry about the unemployment comment, but hearing someone say they can not find a job makes me throw up a little in my mouth since I have done work that I would not wish own my worst enemy, because I do not feel right about take money from others who are working.
To hit on the sore subject first, apology accepted. A lot of availability is down to where you are at. I have been turned down from a total of 67 jobs so far, and only five of those were close to what I used to do. The most recent was working part time in a meat processing plant cleaning up the... bad stuff. They told me I was overqualified and that they assumed I would leave the moment something better came along.

I don't want this to become a "woe is me" thread so lets get back to the matter at hand;

I have been running through the old content with a friend as well but that doesn't exactly fit the bill of new content. And to be honest new content was a very minor point of my post. They need filler missions. On more than 5 different occassions I leveled, ran out of missions... and stopped. I was either half a level or a whole level's worth of XP from my next level and nobody anywhere had anything for me to do.

That means I need to busy myself with exploring which is GREAT. But only if exploring is actually exploring. They need to understand that "exploring" in STO is doing one of about 5 different missions. So I can go do 1 of 5 generic filler missions to get the XP I need, but none of those add to the story line nor do they lend anything to the idea that I am actually furthering the cause of Star Fleet.

I believe that they understand that these exploration missions are required to level to cap at the moment, and I think that in the future they will provide the material required to get there making them completely optional (and to get the badges) but until then I feel it is important that we as customers give Cryptic positive feed back that isn't filled with crying, whining, and empty threats.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.