Lt. Commander
# 21
02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrana
Hello,

I have been playing 2 weeks now and I have only reached level 15. I tend to play 3-4 hours a day maybe a little more at weekends. I tend to gain 1-2 levels a day which I expect to slow down quite a bit as I advance in levels.

I do find it rather hard to understand how people can claim to have already finished the game in the same time without being at the coal face so to speak 12+ hours a day. Dont get me wrong but I have seen this before as a Mod people would claim to finish the game in a few weeks when we reviewed their stats it showed 15 hours + a day in cases. It was a case of people spending a weeks worth of gaming in a single day.

I guess that is your choice but putting in so much in a short space of time it will always result in the same thing you reaching the end. If that was your goal then well done but MMORPG's are not things you can win the point is not to reach the highest level.

MMORPGS are very much about the social aspect and a shared adventure. Being part of the guilde, helping new players, running events etc. Their is a lot more to do than just getting to the highest level but if thats all you think about than perhaps MMORPGS are not the right sort of game.
Actually getting to the "end" has never been my thing. I remember getting a mage to level 45 in WoW and I spent about five days of my game time running through dungeons I had hated when I was a "noob" just so I could smash faces in on things that had been destroying me back in the day. Take that Van Cleef!

I probably play an average of about 7 hours a day, give or take. Which is a lot I admit, but I think you need to get to the cap to understand what a wasteland it is at the moment. And in other games there was something end game. Some sort of end game content... here there is nothing.

It is like some sort of twilight zone episode where you open a door and it is vast empty white nothing. I understand that is due to change though with the upcoming content patch, it may be enough to keep me going for a while longer even.

*Side note:

I just did a "/played" and to RA minus the two days played since I hit is about 81.6 hours played. Dividing 81.6 by the launch date plus the head start time means I am averaging about 4.8 hours played a day... less than I thought!

And believe me, I spent a LOT of that time confused and lost because I refuse to ask directions and the missions aren't clear from about half way through the game on.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Good call.

To further back this up with the exploration missions, defend mission and even the patrol missions I tended to these where as my friends did not and they found themselves quite a bit behind when they ranked up that they had to go back to do them.

I think some missions need to be done in order to further yourself along the story, it should be pointed out that the side missions take up more time and therefore give more XP than the story missions and I think that has rubbed quite a lot of people the wrong way. The story missions I have found to be, well awesome really.

I think Cryptic have so far done quite well in sorting things out, and listening. So hopefully, they will continue to add new top end content as well as mid-level content to balance out things.

An idea to do this would be to open up several new areas that have content for all levels, it doesn't necessary have to be filled to the gunnel's with content but enough to side track from the areas we have now. In addition to this, they need to add additional content to the areas we have now. Creating new missions in places we've already been isn't a bad thing especially when you consider we usually visit solar systems which could have a lot of different things to do.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonblade View Post
Later, brah!

You knew SOMEONE had to eventually say it. On a more serious note...
-Dragon
Geez, what could you possibly write in your fairwell note you didn't write here.

I will have to say, the OP game some farewell notes. Exactly why I click on these goodbye threads.. the why. Not that I care you're leaving, but I care about why you're leaving. Thanks for the info. Maybe a Dev will pick up on it.

I would like to point out that you are an exception to the case. Most of us "don't" have that kind of time on our hands, so we won't be able to slam the game like you sound like you have.

I personally, once i complete my endgame equipment for my RA 5 Engineer, look forward to making a RA Science Officer and RA Klingon... so I still have plenty of game left.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
OP,

I know exactly how you feel at this point. Having reached level cap myself, I am now finding myself logging on only to wait a a half hour for a pvp match, and then log back off, simply because there is nothing else to do.

That said, I would love to have a good resource on ship and device mechanics, so that I could 'fine tune" my vessel and crew. I could actually spend a lot of time doing so, if only the game or the site had some information. Most MMOs that I have played are very much based on mechanics and research of them. Although I hate when people compare this game to WoW, I would like to point out how much time a player will spend in WoW just honing his gear or spec. both of which are not currently an option in STO.

I am considering leveling another character, ONLY because I am interested in learning about different ships and crew types.

I am really hoping to see some serious changes and additions in the near future for this game. I know they are coming, and am looking forward to being around to see some of the "End game" content that is developed. However, I would just as much like to see the devs put more time into a decent manual of sorts, or at least a resource that will explain many of the ship, crew, device, and damage details in more depth. Already some of you are thinking "Just search the forum". That isnt good enough. Sifting through the forum for opinions and speculation is not what I am after. Until Cryptic explains what something like "Astrometrics" means, there is really no point in me equipping it.

Anyway, good luck to you all, and I look forward to seeing how the game ends up.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
later, brah... can I have your stuff?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I think I have it.

Every level, every skill is handed to you.

I think, I made my mind up... the whole premise of the leveling system cannot work for a long term end game system.

I'm done. Just wish I knew where to go to pitch my own Idea for a MMO... It'd be a hell of a lot better thought out than this.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I felt this was shocking enough to repost all by itself:

I have only been averaging 4.8 hours played a day. To me that is fairly casual. I keep getting accused of "Slamming the game" or "Rushing through content" but I hardly feel that doing EVERY single mission and reading every ounce of dialog thrown at me from my insistent Bridge Officers, and only playing 4.8 hours a day qualifies me to fit either category.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metricsimpleton View Post
I felt this was shocking enough to repost all by itself:

I have only been averaging 4.8 hours played a day. To me that is fairly casual. I keep getting accused of "Slamming the game" or "Rushing through content" but I hardly feel that doing EVERY single mission and reading every ounce of dialog thrown at me from my insistent Bridge Officers, and only playing 4.8 hours a day qualifies me to fit either category.
5 hours... that's almost 3 patrol missions... ? Time certainly "flys" in STO.