Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Quote:
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
2. Literature. a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

3. Socratic irony.
4. dramatic irony.
5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
6. the incongruity of this.
7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.
This is irony.

If someone gives a the game a second shot but does it in a time frame that is not to your liking...this isn't ironic. If people think that KOTOR online is gonna be better than STO because to them STO was a huge...REDICULOUSLY bad game with little to no redemption....THAT is not ironic...

If someone doesn't like something you do, but likes something relatively simular alternatively....THIS IS NOT IRONIC!!!!

And this post...as you may end up calling it for spam purposes...isn't ironic.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
No, it's pedantic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 10:37 PM
i iorny my shirt tomorrow
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 10:37 PM
What's the point here?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveFatal1ty
What's the point here?
I'm just seeing that word flung arond these forums...ALOT

It's used to describe almost everything for some reason. Do people feel smart using a word like ironic?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Kinda ironic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkReborn View Post

It's used to describe almost everything for some reason. Do people feel smart using a word like ironic?
Accusing people of using a word to feel smart when you had to look up the definition online and cut and paste... (10 pts) what do we call that?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkReborn View Post

Haha! Now thats ironic. A thread describing irony and then saying the word is flung around the forum too much.

I dont know. Ive been here a good while and visit the thread more than I probably should, and I havent really noticed its a problem. I do hear a lot of " Fanboi " " Troll " and worst of all " Noob ".

Im not sure Ive seen an overabundance of people over using the word "ironic" though.

I will say this is the most times Ive seen it used in one thread though.......you know.....the one complaining about it. Which is......IRONIC! Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Good fun!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I've read a good deal of "ignorant" posts.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
Accusing people of using a word to feel smart when you had to look up the definition online and cut and paste... (10 pts) what do we call that?
I didn't have to look it up. I just would rather copy and paste an official deffinition rather than write one down on the spot.

And btw, i said people would be calling this thread ironic to troll it and they did....Isn't that...IRONIC???!

NO!!! it isn't!!!!!