Lt. Commander
# 1 STO: Enjoying the Universe
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
In all things, when there is something that you do not agree with, it's important to offer a counter to all those who feel that canceling now because of game issues is the best path. I definitely understand their feelings but think it's a decision based on their anger in that moment. They see only what frustrates their gameplay, whether it's the apparent lack of content, unbalanced PVE/PVP, or other issues that make their gametime unenjoyable.

It's important to understand that while we all know it takes time to work out the bugs, it is essential for an effective launch and experience shortly thereafter that keeps people having fun.

I'll tell you this though people: if you play a game more than 4+ hours a day and expect that it is going to last long, you're gonna have a bad time... This is from over 20+ years of gaming experience. Pubbies can think otherwise and flames can come from those who believe that their experience must last "as long as one chooses to play" are completely wrong. This is the first realization, the next is that variety is your ultimate friend, and that no gaming system today can deal effectively with someone who grinds one task over and over.

Step back, take a look at what made you spend the $50+ in the first place, and realize if it was just for the hype, leave immediately. If you bought it for the genre and Star Trek element, it is how you choose to experience what they have done so far and stick with them while they finely polish it.

/flame shield on
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
In all things, when there is something that you do not agree with, it's important to offer a counter to all those who feel that canceling now because of game issues is the best path. I definitely understand their feelings but think it's a decision based on their anger in that moment. They see only what frustrates their gameplay, whether it's the apparent lack of content, unbalanced PVE/PVP, or other issues that make their gametime unenjoyable.

It's important to understand that while we all know it takes time to work out the bugs, it is essential for an effective launch and experience shortly thereafter that keeps people having fun.

I'll tell you this though people: if you play a game more than 4+ hours a day and expect that it is going to last long, you're gonna have a bad time... This is from over 20+ years of gaming experience. Pubbies can think otherwise and flames can come from those who believe that their experience must last "as long as one chooses to play" are completely wrong. This is the first realization, the next is that variety is your ultimate friend, and that no gaming system today can deal effectively with someone who grinds one task over and over.

Step back, take a look at what made you spend the $50+ in the first place, and realize if it was just for the hype, leave immediately. If you bought it for the genre and Star Trek element, it is how you choose to experience what they have done so far and stick with them while they finely polish it.

/flame shield on
Lol I wont flame you, but in all the mmo's I have played you can play 4,6,8,10,12,14,16 hrs a day and still not cap for a long long time... most major mmos (at time of launch) even the 12-16hr a day ppl took 4-8 weeks (depending on the mmo to cap it)

Look at me, then look at someone who is casual. I played 6-8hrs/day for 5 days a week and in 10 days I was capped.

So it took me 60-80hrs of gameplay to game the game. Now take someone who plays 2 hrs a day 5 days week.. or 10hrs/week. They will cap in 6-8 weeks. That is NOT normal for an MMO.. not normal at all. Yes there is this 45 day patch, but it is all stuff that was supposed to be in game at launch... after that? we probably wont see an xpac for ... oh at LEAST 4 months... probably 6.... even the casual people will have run out of content

What about the 3hr/day people.... 15hrs/week.... capped in 4-6 weeks.. again... not normal...

Not even City of Heroes let people level up this fast. I dont know about CO... but those aside... any , normal mmo, won't let even the most OBSESSED person hit the cap for a month.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBear
Lol I wont flame you, but in all the mmo's I have played you can play 4,6,8,10,12,14,16 hrs a day and still not cap for a long long time... most major mmos (at time of launch) even the 12-16hr a day ppl took 4-8 weeks (depending on the mmo to cap it)

Look at me, then look at someone who is casual. I played 6-8hrs/day for 5 days a week and in 10 days I was capped.

So it took me 60-80hrs of gameplay to game the game. Now take someone who plays 2 hrs a day 5 days week.. or 10hrs/week. They will cap in 6-8 weeks. That is NOT normal for an MMO.. not normal at all. Yes there is this 45 day patch, but it is all stuff that was supposed to be in game at launch... after that? we probably wont see an xpac for ... oh at LEAST 4 months... probably 6.... even the casual people will have run out of content

What about the 3hr/day people.... 15hrs/week.... capped in 4-6 weeks.. again... not normal...

Not even City of Heroes let people level up this fast. I dont know about CO... but those aside... any , normal mmo, won't let even the most OBSESSED person hit the cap for a month.
Awesome, thanks for the non-flame heh. Agreed, this is definitely on the content light and CO is just the same. I'm a lifer in both and this is a major problem with Cryptic as a company it seems. They do not take the time that the Big 3 B's do (Blizzard, Bioware, and Bethesda) to really ensure a fine-tuned content-rich game is there AT LAUNCH. This is also a pitfall of having two major licenses as MMOs, smaller companies like Cryptic and Turbine struggle to keep Champions/ST and LOTR/D&D huge while they are split in their attention.

I will say that it's pretty much an average of 4-5 days gametime in WoW to reach level 80, and then it's simply running the 8-10 dungeons over and over again to get ready for raids.

It's light don't get me wrong, but to me nothing beats a nice space sim cruising around systems and the added bonus of ground movement/combat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Why do people assume that if you cap out your toon in 3 days played time, you didn't enjoy the ride?

Why is it that when people see an Admiral at day 7 of real time, they assume they 'powerlevelled' through the game- the /played time is the same, whether you play 4 hours a day or 14.

The bottom line is that this game is barely the basics of an MMO. The content is limited, there is no sandbox element, PVP is extremely limited and frankly, the replayability factor is almost zero.

I'm a HUGE fan of the basic combat engine and gameplay of STO. But let's be honest, there's just plain not enough of it, and certainly not worth 15 bucks a month unless they add some significant content to the endgame.

My subscription ends on March 5th. and I see no reason to re-up unless something is done about the endgame and long term viability of the game. Otherwise, I'll save myself 15 bucks times 4-6 months and come back then- and probably knock THAT out in another 3 days /played time.