Lt. Commander
I don't know about everyone else, but I've played a lot of MMOs. STO has the groundworks for a great game, although in its current state, it is lacking in content. That's not a problem though, many MMO's start out with limited content. Here's a list of things that would be great if implemented and would add timesinks to the game.

Crafting: It would be great to be able to collect resources or just break down looted items in our replicators into some basic resources and then build something else. Put it as a skill in the engineering line and like SWG, make crafted items better than what you can generally purchase. The current system of collecting data is just lacking and personally I find it a waste of time and bank space. I can generally find better items on missions than from the vendors.

Daily Missions: Add some random daily missions with rewards. Not just the explore or defend missions. It would be relatively easy to add a mission terminal to star bases that have a listing of random missions you can take with their rewards listed. A system similar to what Anarchy Online has would work and be simple enough to implement.

Raids: Some kind of repeatable end game goal would be nice to have. It gives players who haven't advanced to admiral a goal to shoot for and it gives admirals something to do as well as looted items they can brag about. On top of that, raids generally require many people to participate as well as strategies to be developed. This would give many people something to do as they'd spend a bit of time trying to figure out how to beat the raid.

Ships: This would take a bit of work, but unique ships for players would be a nice goal to work for. It could be a whole ship or just components to use on an existing ship, like a different looking saucer or nacels or even hull. Have each "unique" piece provide some kind of bonus, like +5 to engine power or additional hull points. These abilities wouldn't be overpowering, but would give a nice bonus and people would enjoy more unique ships. Or perhaps add in useable ships from other races, like the Ferengi, vulcans, even romulans.

Anyways, these are just a few ideas. Thanks for the game, it's working great, I've had very few problems with it and have been enjoying it. Keep up the great work!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphella
I don't know about everyone else, but I've played a lot of MMOs. STO has the groundworks for a great game, although in its current state, it is lacking in content. That's not a problem though, many MMO's start out with limited content. Here's a list of things that would be great if implemented and would add timesinks to the game.

Crafting: It would be great to be able to collect resources or just break down looted items in our replicators into some basic resources and then build something else. Put it as a skill in the engineering line and like SWG, make crafted items better than what you can generally purchase. The current system of collecting data is just lacking and personally I find it a waste of time and bank space. I can generally find better items on missions than from the vendors.

Daily Missions: Add some random daily missions with rewards. Not just the explore or defend missions. It would be relatively easy to add a mission terminal to star bases that have a listing of random missions you can take with their rewards listed. A system similar to what Anarchy Online has would work and be simple enough to implement.

Raids: Some kind of repeatable end game goal would be nice to have. It gives players who haven't advanced to admiral a goal to shoot for and it gives admirals something to do as well as looted items they can brag about. On top of that, raids generally require many people to participate as well as strategies to be developed. This would give many people something to do as they'd spend a bit of time trying to figure out how to beat the raid.

Ships: This would take a bit of work, but unique ships for players would be a nice goal to work for. It could be a whole ship or just components to use on an existing ship, like a different looking saucer or nacels or even hull. Have each "unique" piece provide some kind of bonus, like +5 to engine power or additional hull points. These abilities wouldn't be overpowering, but would give a nice bonus and people would enjoy more unique ships. Or perhaps add in useable ships from other races, like the Ferengi, vulcans, even romulans.

Anyways, these are just a few ideas. Thanks for the game, it's working great, I've had very few problems with it and have been enjoying it. Keep up the great work!
I hope all of this is possible. Research in particular could make a great sub-game.