Lt. Commander
My captain has all nine ranks of Starship Torpedo Weapons, which is supposed to unlock High Yield 3, but she cannot teach it. Is this because she is Engineering, and it's a Tactical skill?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 01:34 AM
i am a tactical officer, and i can't learn hight yield III, too
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightionNY View Post
My captain has all nine ranks of Starship Torpedo Weapons, which is supposed to unlock High Yield 3, but she cannot teach it. Is this because she is Engineering, and it's a Tactical skill?
Correct. High Yield 3 is a tactical skill, and thus can only be trained from a tactical character to a tactical officer.

In turn however, if you train certain engineering skills, you can teach those to your engineering officers, if you want to.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 01:38 AM
To answer the question. Yes, your the wrong spec to teach that skill. Only Tactical class can teach tactical skills. This is not well explained, but it is the way it works.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomres View Post
i am a tactical officer, and i can't learn hight yield III, too
You don't "learn" it yourself to use, you merely aquire the ability to teach it to officers under your command.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Class skills can only be taught by that class, so projectile, energy weap etc can only be taught by tactical. Its pretty crap on cryptic not to bother having this stated anywhere, its pretty much false advertising. It says right there on the skill, that it allows you to train your officers a skill, but you cant always. YOu also have to rememerb ,that your boff has to be of the right level. It has to be lietenant commander befroe it can learn high yield III
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 06:19 AM
While it is crap that Cryptic's documentation doesn't clearly explain this kind of thing better the idea that you have to be the right kind of character to teach the skill (like being Tactical for High Yield III) is not exactly unreasonable or surprising.

Let's just say this isn't really worth pitching a major fit about all things considered.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 06:23 AM
question tho. can you say teach this skill to an unassigned Crewmember? say you're tactical and you teach it to a character unassigned to trade. Or does the fact it is unassigned mean no rank and therefore can't be taught?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 06:32 AM
This is actually mentioned in-game. You get a quest from Admiral Quinn to talk to Commander Balt about skills; he's the blue guy in the Personnel office.

One of his dialogue boxes does actually explain that you need to be Tactical to teach those unlocked Tactical skills to BOs. Or something like that.

It's not mentioned ANYWHERE ELSE though. Just by Balt.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashar
...YOu also have to rememerb ,that your boff has to be of the right level. It has to be lietenant commander befroe it can learn high yield III
Actually, once you're able to teach the skill, you can train it to any Bridge Officer of any rank. All training does it swaps the skill being trained for the skill already in that rank slot. The BO can't USE the skill until they have achieved the rank they can use it at and are assigned to a station that allows them to use skills of that rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMau
question tho. can you say teach this skill to an unassigned Crewmember? say you're tactical and you teach it to a character unassigned to trade. Or does the fact it is unassigned mean no rank and therefore can't be taught?
Unfortunately, we can't at the moment. You can only train the skill to a commissioned Bridge Officer, but once a BO has been commissioned, they can't be traded. From what I have gathered, this is a situation that is being worked out.