Lt. Commander
# 1 Make PvP 5v2 intentionally
02-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Reading reviews of "Aliens vs Predator" (I haven't bought it) I noted the asymmetric game modes, and wondered whether anyone has thought about something similar for STO:

Rather than 5v5, make the game 5v3 or 5v2, boost the Klingon vessels to be slightly more powerful than an equivalent federation vessel.

Pros/cons:
+ would shorten the PvP queues.
+ would make even arena/TDM more interesting.
+ would make Klingons "interesting/different" without having to add tons of content/rebuilding everything.
+ would make open-PvP more viable.
- making one player's ship inherently "better" than another has obvious player "concerns", along with potential to mess up the population balance.
- Klingon PvE would need amending.
~ not sure what basis it has in 'canon'/lore.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
This is where I think we should do the "Left4Dead" type gameplay. 5 Feds working on a PvE mission against lots of NPCs and 1 real Klingon player. Or a fleet action with 20 Feds, lots of NPCs and 5 Klingons (1 team).

I'm not opposed to your plan either but I'm not overly enamored with fiddling with stats. I also don't think most Feds will like having to fight an intentionally more powerful Klingon, even if he's outnumbered.

Whereas Klingon players in amongst NPCs and waiting for the right time to strike is pretty much our style.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
Reading reviews of "Aliens vs Predator" (I haven't bought it) I noted the asymmetric game modes, and wondered whether anyone has thought about something similar for STO:

Rather than 5v5, make the game 5v3 or 5v2, boost the Klingon vessels to be slightly more powerful than an equivalent federation vessel.

Pros/cons:
+ would shorten the PvP queues.
+ would make even arena/TDM more interesting.
+ would make Klingons "interesting/different" without having to add tons of content/rebuilding everything.
+ would make open-PvP more viable.
- making one player's ship inherently "better" than another has obvious player "concerns", along with potential to mess up the population balance.
- Klingon PvE would need amending.
~ not sure what basis it has in 'canon'/lore.
um to the number of feds that have no idea what a proper pvp build is i can think of atlest ten games where it has been 2-3 kligons vs 5 feds and the kligons winning because the kligons where healing one another and focusing fire and the feds hwere not and had terible builds but you generlay dont see this untill t3 and on when kligons have ships that can tank

then it gets really bad in t5 i started a match where i was the only kligon in the game and i was spawn camped by 5 feds i killed 2 before they killed me and this repated several times so the score was 7-4 kligons wining when i had a second kligon show up and heal me and we then preceeded to kill the feds untill we won

now if the feds have a clue obviously i cant do that but the number of feds that stricly pved untill t5 and now are trying to pvp with no clue how makes this more than possible

as it is more of the hard core pvpers mians are kligons while most also have fed alts when they play there kligons they generaly destroy th efeds for reaosn mentioned aove and when they play there feds the games are alot more even

i guess my point is while its a diffrent idea there are alot of other issues with pvp that this would probably make worse before it fixed but i support you trying to come up with diffrent ideas
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
This is where I think we should do the "Left4Dead" type gameplay. 5 Feds working on a PvE mission against lots of NPCs and 1 real Klingon player. Or a fleet action with 20 Feds, lots of NPCs and 5 Klingons (1 team).

I'm not opposed to your plan either but I'm not overly enamored with fiddling with stats. I also don't think most Feds will like having to fight an intentionally more powerful Klingon, even if he's outnumbered.

Whereas Klingon players in amongst NPCs and waiting for the right time to strike is pretty much our style.
might not be a abd idea, the problem with that of course is not everyone wants to do PVE with PVP. but we certinly need more "PVP/PVE mixes"the warzones area great idea and it's too bad they're kinda bugged up.