Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Picard, "The First Duty"
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based!
What sort of crafting system do we need in Star Trek Online?

We don't need one like ********, where you gather mining ores, or herbs, or cloth, to "craft" various physical objects.

We don't need one like EVE Online, where you mine or loot, or create scientifically various physical objects.

In fact, I urge Cryptic to outright reject any notion of crafting physical "things".

Why?

It's just not Trek-like. It's the 25th century in-game. There is nearly free energy. There are replicators. "Stuff" has little meaning, in the 21st century context.

It's a new type of MMO. It's the 21st century in-real life. Change is in the air. You guys have a chance to do something original, in the 1950s rock and roll context.

Give us a crafting system that:
  • Doesn't rely on physical "stuff".
  • Relies entirely on knowledge, training and skills.
  • Can be worked on **NOT** on timed schedules--emphatically not like EVE Online.
  • In ********, if I'm insane, have vast amounts of "gold" and are committed, I can level a skill from 1-450/max level in one day. Or at my own pace. We should be able to do that too in theory.

What will we actually "craft"? Ourselves:
  1. Skills.
  2. Knowledge.
  3. Abilities.
  4. Traits.
  5. Attributes.

Example things we can train/craft, give each 50 ranks, like our levels. Let us train a maximum of 10 at any given time. The Star Trek man is a renaissance man, after all. The big thing is that these would be things ANYONE can learn. The crafting system would the actually getting the ranks from 1-50. By having 10 maximum, that's a lot of crafting to do, and would let you significantly bump up your character customization. Dramatically. Possible examples:
  1. Weightlifting: Extra melee physical damage. Precedent: Big dudes like Worf. Each rank increases physical damage by 1%.
  2. Warp core engineering: Actually faster warp speed travel time in sector space. Precedent: Tom Paris, Warp 10. Geordi: Any number of extended 9.8+ trips. Each rank 1-50 increases warp travel speed by 1%.
  3. Equipment enhancements: various small abilities on your gear. 1-10: tricorder ground scans leave visible waypoint on nearby targets for 10 seconds. 11-20: Basic weapon cooldown, -0.4 seconds, and so on. Precedent: Wesley and others are always tinkering with and enhancing stuff.
  4. Stellar cartography: Ability to find anomalies in Exploration areas at a greater range of 2% per rank.
  5. Track and field: increase your sprint speed by 1% for each rank.
  6. Diplomacy (once we have diplomacy missions, which are coming): 1% more likely to succeed/get favorable response per rank.
  7. Tribble breeding: increase tribble spawn time by 1% per rank.
  8. Terrestrial forensics: 0.5% increased likelihood of causing a loot spawn on the ground per rank on each kill.
  9. Spatial forensics: 0.5% increased likelihood of causing a loot spawn on in space per rank on each kill.
  10. Commerce: 0.5% increased sales price of all gear sold to non-replicator vendors per rank, and 0.5% reduced cost of purchase from all non-replicator vendors per rank.
  11. Replicator efficiency: 1% reduced replicator cost on purchases per rank.

How do you get points, and level 1-50 times 10? By getting some sort of Training Merit. Did you complete a ground mission? You get a chance to get a Training Merit that applies to certain "categories" of Training Skills--maybe it would apply to the "Surface" category, which is Track & Field, Spatial forensics, and Swordfighting Training Skills. You can apply the Training Merit to one of your existing skills. Each application can earn you 1-4 points in that skill. Training Merits CAN NOT be traded or sold. Completed Exploration missions? Chance for training merits that can apply to Stellar Cartography & Spatial Forensics, for example. Have other accolades trigger others -- for every 15 minutes traveling at warp speed (in motion!!) you have a chance to get a merit to bump Warp Core Engineering.

Play = rewards tailored for that play. Specialization.

...and so on. Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I like it. I mean I really like it. Granted I most likely would not do any of this. I never Crafted in other MMO's
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I dunno.. I personally favour a system that compliments memory alpha.. I can 'buff' a rifle at memory alpha, why can't I replicate the components needed to BUILD the common rifle in the first place? .. Replicators and 'blueprints' of some sort seem kinda obvious to me

Your system is cool, but it's not crafting.. it should a seperate system all together imo
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvok View Post
I like it. I mean I really like it. Granted I most likely would not do any of this. I never Crafted in other MMO's
Thanks.

That's the thing with other MMOs, though-- crafting is a means to an end, and a time and "money" sink in-game.

This is deliberately not crafting of stuff, though, but character enhancements and customizations (permanent and subtle) in the model of crafting. Instead of learning a skill to be able to produce something later--cause and effect--this is learning a skill to permanently change who you are for the better.

Self growth. Improvement. Learning.

Kind of Trek, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Jones
I dunno.. I personally favour a system that compliments memory alpha.. I can 'buff' a rifle at memory alpha, why can't I replicate the components needed to BUILD the common rifle in the first place? .. Replicators and 'blueprints' of some sort seem kinda obvious to me

Your system is cool, but it's not crafting.. it should a seperate system all together imo
Long term, if they want to do a full on Crafting system of Stuff, sure, go for it.

I think this would be much more popular though, if done first.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
You should be able to research design improvements that can enhance gear you have, or should be able to create ANY object you analyze and learn how to make.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Actually, I can see many reasons why crafting physical stuff (not discounting your intangible stuff - good ideas) would work well within this environment. Just consider speciality gear. A highly modified warp drive, a specially configured phaser bank that boosts the power, specially modified shields, etc etc etc. All this stuff is special for a reason, because they're "rare" crafted items. e.g. no replicator has a blueprint otherwise everyone would have the best of everything. So from that perspective, there's lots of "tangible" items that could be crafted.

If you ask me, I'm all for a good old in-depth crafting system similar to SWG. Tons of resources with varying qualities and crafting experimentation. That's really good stuff that adds lots of levels of complexity and depth to gameplay.

But naturally I won't hold my breath. STO needs a heck of a lot more content before they can even think about in-depth crafting. Also, given Cryptic's track record, it seems clear to me that deep crafting is well off their radar.

Doesn't mean I can't dream. And what better place to dream about that than in a SWG/STO environment where massive resources and complex crafting should be a given. Oh well...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
You should be able to research design improvements that can enhance gear you have, or should be able to create ANY object you analyze and learn how to make.
Why not have both? If they want to do a Crafting of Stuff system, it will be popular, sure, and I'm sure they have one cooking already--every MMO does. I'm calling for something different.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 10:34 AM
I dunno specializations in different sciences and types of engineering maybe.

The careers would each need to be beneficial to everyone though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Hello,

I sort of agree with the other person you have some good ideas just not what I would call crafting. Their is only really one way to do crafting that is having a set of blue prints, then some resources and an ability to combine the two elements to produce a product.

SWG in my view had the best system in which you hand made an item to create the blue prints then could run off a number of items in a factory. Eve copied this idea but made it simple as they did not put in the quality of resources effecting the output.

It is not a million miles away from the OU EQ crafting however for that you had to hand make every item. You just ended up with a lot of pointless items nobody wanted for the sake of leveling in crafting.