Lt. Commander
# 1 Player created content
02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
It was done by ex-Cryptic employees in CoH and literally turned the game around...
It was promised in interviews...

When can we expect to be able to create content?

I really feel that one of the missing features of this game is the lack of allowing player creativity.

Player created content would fix this, as long as it was not linear with no options that the random scenario generator could not create.

Although player created content will not fix every percieved fault the game has it will allow those who wish to pursue thier more creative talents to do so.

I for one am looking forward to the day I can create a mission and let others play it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I think this would be absolutely superb.

I also think GM run games would be great. Now I appreciate the Devs might not want to invest so much of their time, but they have a player base they can promote to those roles. I appreciate this is perhaps a controversial idea. But having played in GM run games on Neverwinter Nights servers, I have to say, the games are second to none.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Again...

Architect Mission Grind.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
You get to "create" and customize your character. You get to "create" and customize your "standard" starship. You get to customize your character's trained skills. You get to customize your BO's skills. You get to customize your ships equipment.
But "player creativity" is lacking in your opinion?

I would much rather see something like this maybe implemented a year or two down the road in the life of STO. For now I'd like to see what content the paid writers and developers have come up with. (I'd also like to see those folks with real experience with designing within the contraints of the game engine keep their jobs a little longer.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
No, this is crucial. This will make or break STO with many players.

The biggest single problem STO has is lack of content. Player created content is what? Say it with me, content.

I've been proposing a two stage system for player created content to cut down on the nonsense we saw with architect.

Stage 1: The Holodeck
This is basically just like Architect from CoH with the added advantages of the Genesis toolkit and other indoor settings. However no rewards will be given out for the creating or playing of any Holodeck mission. This is just for fun. Players can use it to make adventures for friends or to create backdrops for events and so on (much like Storyteller in SWG). But nobody will get loot, rewards, drops or even so much as a pat on the head. The main reward will be that folks enjoy what you can create and beg for more. That's a huge ego boost for those of you who haven't tried it yet.

Stage 2: Subspace Transmissions
A player creating a Holodeck mission can apply for it to be considered as a Subspace Transmission mission. These will be developer screened and approved Holodeck missions designed specifically as Exploration missions. Each will have a text intro that's some emergency communication to a vessel's commander and they'll have the option of warping directly into the mission when doing Explorations. At this stage both the designer of the mission and the players do get rewards. The designer gets credits for the C-Store and players get the usual drops and experience gained for a mission (along with a point toward the completion of an Exploration mission series).

What this should do is cause fewer crap missions to come about and the quality of overall player generated content to be much higher. And higher still for those wanting those C-bucks. In time Exploration could be full of an infinite variety of missions hand-crafted by players in addition to Cryptic Genesis missions and missions from other sources (NASA for space exploration missions, etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Will it involve scanning or repairing anymore satellites?

If not, sign me up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
WHY would they let players create contnet ? so they have no reason to charge for exansions later? pft noncence.
I want quality story missions not more random kill 5 scan 5 missions
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddjobXL View Post
Stage 1: The Holodeck
Stage 2: Subspace Transmissions
Excellent ideas!!! I also am hoping for player created content, a la CoH Architect. Having them added as potential non-Holodeck adventures makes it all that more sweeter.

Hope Cryptic is listening, these are good ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 11:48 AM
99% of the player created content will be utter garbage. I don't mind player created content, but I would like all sublissions of player created content to go through a quality control filter to weed out the garbage, and just keep the 1% or so of good player created content.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Here is a recent thread on that topic:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=114023

Give it a read and share your thoughts