Lt. Commander
# 1 Terminology
02-17-2010, 08:51 AM
I think we need a definition section to go with this game for Noobs.
What are the following:
EPS
Starcruiser
RSS

There are others but I think if we had a sticky or something, it would really help in picking up the lingo. I can't find a single reference to these three in all the threads that I searched.

Thanks...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleto_Deadman
I think we need a definition section to go with this game for Noobs.
What are the following:
EPS
Starcruiser
RSS

There are others but I think if we had a sticky or something, it would really help in picking up the lingo. I can't find a single reference to these three in all the threads that I searched.

Thanks...
google... lol
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Well in the real world, EPS is an Encapsulated Postscript file. But in Star Trek EPS is Electro Plasma System. So depending on whether you work in the graphics industry, or happen to be in space combat in the 23rd Century, EPS is your thang. The Electro Plasma System is a power source gained from the Dilithium Crystal's reaction and provides a sub-lightspeed energy source for your ship's systems.

I think you probably mean RCS rather than RSS (which is Rich Site Summary). RCS is either the Royal College of Surgeons (useful if your favourite saying is 'I'm a Doctor, not a magician Jim), or if you are a starship Captain and not a Doctor, it is Reaction Control System, i.e the thrusters on the side of your ship at the front, rear, top and bottom, which are used to make it turn.

A Starcruiser is simply a big spaceship.

You might want to try looking here for info: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Portal:Main

Al
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Awesome link, thanks. That is what I needed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock
Well in the real world, EPS is an Encapsulated Postscript file.
In the real world it stands for many, many more things than "Encapsulated Postscript file". It stands for Events Per Second in Information Technology...it stands for Earnings Per Share in Finance...Expanded Poly Styrene in the composites industry...ElectroPhysiologic Study in the medical industry...and many, many more things...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiEvil
In the real world it stands for many, many more things than "Encapsulated Postscript file". It stands for Events Per Second in Information Technology...it stands for Earnings Per Share in Finance...Expanded Poly Styrene in the composites industry...ElectroPhysiologic Study in the medical industry...and many, many more things...
Expertly Penetrated Sinews
Evil Pun Sales
Evidently Pelvic Suffering
lots of stuff
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm going to assume the OP isn't an idiot like some people and actually believe he got the acronyms right of what he didn't understand.

RSS is a web feed system people use to keep in touch with certain webpages that update.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proletariat12
I'm going to assume the OP isn't an idiot like some people and actually believe he got the acronyms right of what he didn't understand.

RSS is a web feed system people use to keep in touch with certain webpages that update.
Whereas I actually read the guy's post and surmised that he was referring to in-game items and their acronyms relating to Star Trek items and concepts in STO, rather than a bizarrely irrelevant request about RSS feeds from websites. It was quite clearly a typo on his part. I did not assume he was 'an idiot', anyone can make a typo, so stop trying to score points with ridiculous attempt to put words in my mouth. You can see my post was merely a little bit of humour and was rounded off with a helpful link that solved the guy's request for help.

Al
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Whereas I actually read the guy's post and surmised that he was referring to in-game items and their acronyms relating to Star Trek items and concepts in STO, rather than a bizarrely irrelevant request about RSS feeds from websites. It was quite clearly a typo on his part. I did not assume he was 'an idiot', anyone can make a typo, so stop trying to score points with ridiculous attempt to put words in my mouth. You can see my post was merely a little bit of humour and was rounded off with a helpful link that solved the guy's request for help.

Al
Ur smart... i like u ... No seriously. i do like you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:

Al
You love to make assumptions. That's how your response was formatted, and that's how you can easily make mistakes. Somebody already corrected you about the acronyms of EPS.
I prefer not to make assumptions about other people. He could easily have been asking about RSS. This is the internet you know. It's relevant.