Lt. Commander
# 21
02-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysRemember
STO is fun for about 1 hour a week. Like right after you catch a rerun of TNG or voyager on TV and want to hop in a ship and blow up some bad guys.
So you've played this game for 2 hours since it's been released...
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
So you've played this game for 2 hours since it's been released...
Well actually I hit admiral the first week. Since then i've logged in maybe twice.

Theres just nothing to do, not enough content. I didn't even play that much every day, and I was bored after about the first hour of playing this game but forced myself to continue through it because I wanted a sovereign class ship.

No MMO ever made, even at release, had as little content as this one. When you can LITERALLY do everything in the game that is possible to do in one week, they failed as game designers, it's that simple. Other games took months to max out at release, and they fought in unique locations progressively, fought hundreds of enemy types, and had quests that actually had some degree of story behind them and even the ones with similar goals were different because they were specific to the situation.

In this, 90% of the game is just patrols and exploration missions which are basically the same handful of mission goals (half a dozen Scan 5 things or Kill 5 Group variants) on a dozen or so randomly selected maps that don't even change.

There are only maybe 30ish missions, if that, which involve actual storyline and something unique to do.

This game is just a waste. Maybe months from now it'll be worth paying for but certainly not now.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysRemember
Well actually I hit admiral the first week. Since then i've logged in maybe twice.

Theres just nothing to do, not enough content. I didn't even play that much every day, and I was bored after about the first hour of playing this game but forced myself to continue through it because I wanted a sovereign class ship.
This game is just a waste. Maybe months from now it'll be worth paying for but certainly not now.
I guess I don't understand because I've played for about 150 hours since release, and I have plenty on my "to do" list.

Maybe you're just realizing that all video games are about mashing buttons and repeat missions. I don't even like video games in general.. but I am enjoying this one.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrium View Post
I just want to thank cryptic for making this game so bad. It is actually working out very well for me and allows me to play an 'MMO' occasionally rather than obsessively, while studying/doing real life stuff. It is also star trek and has 1 or 2 things to keep me entertained every now and then.

Anyone else in the same boat? so bad it's good?

Interesting! Ya, it's bad .. that's for sure! But I hear you, it is most definately made for the occaasional gamer .. someone who sits down for 20 mins or so, per day, to make some tiny incremental step forward, and over a great of time invested may feel an eventual sense of accomplishment, although I believe a completely worthless one.

The potential that one should expect, from a Trek-related MMO, is completely lost with this "design" .. compared to what it could have been, that 20 mins is no more interesting than a session of Space Invaders.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
So... you like the game?
Like the first season, the game can be enjoyable if you do not look too deep into it. And also like the first season, this game has a long, long way to go before it can be considered good or great.

Anyways I did say it was worse than the first season.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider the best MMO, and why?
I dunno i suppose wows the longest 1 ive played, although i havent played that for years now. Im not a MMO fan cause i takes up a lot of your life, and I was a bit concerned that this game would do that, had to play since its star trek. Have to say its a relief that it isnt as engrossing as wow was when it came out or I would have ended up gaming all the time again
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
the point i was really making is it fits in nicely with my lifestyle and I was wondering if that was the same for a lot of other people. In the past I would have been more dissapointed as I spent more time gaming, but I feel it works well for people who cant be bothered playing games all the time
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGoo View Post
Anyways I did say it was worse than the first season.
That doesn't answer my question.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrium View Post
I just want to thank cryptic for making this game so bad. It is actually working out very well for me and allows me to play an 'MMO' occasionally rather than obsessively, while studying/doing real life stuff. It is also star trek and has 1 or 2 things to keep me entertained every now and then.

Anyone else in the same boat? so bad it's good?
Loving it
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Well I see why there aren't so many ground missions. You can only dress up the same dungeon so many different ways