Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
...the sector maps didn't look like pizza boxes?

What I'm saying is, instead of a finite sector with clearly defined borders and a grid to constantly remind you this is a video game representation of space, what if the unexplored sectors and quadrant (at least) were represented with an open star field, with no apparent borders or limits?

Ultimately, there would have to be borders, but they could be the equivalent of thousands upon thousands of light years out. Loss of directional sense could be alleviated by more steady markers on the map, maybe just generalized directional guides.

My feeling is, if you make the unexplored sectors of the galaxy feel vast, and if you give players a real sense of exploration by forgoing borders and giving as little information as possible, it's more than possible to breath new life into one area of the game that is sorely lacking, yet so integral to the Star Trek franchise.

It would be a great way to convey that "inky blackness between the stars" that some science fiction writers (Reynolds, Banks, etc) are so good at portraying, and if there's some persistence to it, rather than the randomly generated "anomaly systems" of currently "unexplored space," there'd be a lot more motivation to explore.

Any thoughts on this?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-17-2010, 02:46 PM
yeah, i could certainly live w/out the gridlines and those blue/red ribbon type things, that i have no idea as to what they're supposed to represent
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I'd love it, but I think it's an engine thing since CoH and CO use similar systems.

But I'd love an open map where you can fly anywhere in the galaxy and only the major locations are marked and everything inbetween is random/genesis content. Right now it feels like there is nothing of interrest between Sol, Vulcan and Andoria, which I know isn't true because that's like the first two seasons of Enterprise right there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
yeah, i could certainly live w/out the gridlines and those blue/red ribbon type things, that i have no idea as to what they're supposed to represent
I think they represent links in the transwarp conduit system. the system that only goes to sol and gamma orionis...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
I think they represent links in the transwarp conduit system. the system that only goes to sol and gamma orionis...
No I think they are trade routes. Happy to be corrected though.

Dr. S.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
...the sector maps didn't look like pizza boxes?

What I'm saying is, instead of a finite sector with clearly defined borders and a grid to constantly remind you this is a video game representation of space, what if the unexplored sectors and quadrant (at least) were represented with an open star field, with no apparent borders or limits?

Ultimately, there would have to be borders, but they could be the equivalent of thousands upon thousands of light years out. Loss of directional sense could be alleviated by more steady markers on the map, maybe just generalized directional guides.

My feeling is, if you make the unexplored sectors of the galaxy feel vast, and if you give players a real sense of exploration by forgoing borders and giving as little information as possible, it's more than possible to breath new life into one area of the game that is sorely lacking, yet so integral to the Star Trek franchise.

It would be a great way to convey that "inky blackness between the stars" that some science fiction writers (Reynolds, Banks, etc) are so good at portraying, and if there's some persistence to it, rather than the randomly generated "anomaly systems" of currently "unexplored space," there'd be a lot more motivation to explore.

Any thoughts on this?
You mean if we had an "Eve" style galaxy map and "Eve" style "at warp" instance that solely contained our ship and a few stars whizzing past? One that is reminiscent of TNG, DS9 and Voyager episodes?

Probably. If there was a reason to go there. E.g. mining, investigating star clusters to chart anomalies, chasing klingon battle cruisers in to nebulas, etc, etc.

Sector Space is ugly and makes that part of the game look like a giant board game, or a scene from the 1982 film "Tron".
It serves no practical purpose that couldn't be done better in a different format.
Its only noticable benefit is to allow players to "camp" there without having to enter local space. Which is odd considering its supposed to be a representation of a ship constantly travelling at warp speed.
If its original design was intended to give the player the feeling of being in an "MMO" that has a decent sized population, then it fails on that score as well. Especially when the majority of the playerbase is never seen in your particular sector instance

What is the most baffling is that, Eve "borrowed" the warping animation scene idea from the Trek franchise, why wasn't that same concept used in the very game that is supposed to embody that same franchise?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Keep the 'sectors' just get rid of the lines. Leave it open looking space...now that would look cool
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
yeah, i could certainly live w/out the gridlines and those blue/red ribbon type things, that i have no idea as to what they're supposed to represent
I think those are supposed to be trade routes. But, I wouldn't mind seeing the borders removed on the star clusters.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-17-2010, 03:27 PM
/signed


PLEASE get rid of those aweful blue lines. It's got to be my number one beef with the game. Or at the very least let us decide if we want them or not. give us just one button that will turn them off if we dont want them. Pretty please.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
It would be better that the systems you have explored STAY explored and marked on the map.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 AM.