Lt. Commander
# 51
02-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Okay. Reading this, the SWGEmu is original and the server code may be protected as it's original.

However, anyone who hosts a server and advertises it as "Star Wars" may be subject to getting sued as they don't have the right to use the name or properties, free or not. The source could get in trouble if the databases or server code reference Star Wars characters.

Beyond that, people who connect to it via a SWG game client do NOT own their game client, even if they bought a copy of SWG and are in violation of their license by connecting to SWGEmu.

All free fan works are technically a civil violation against copyright holders in any case. Even if no money is made, the argument can be made that money is lost (ie. people may unsubscribe to SWG) when assigning damages or that hosting costs money or that the purchase of a server represented a profit made by someone off it, And even without damages, it remains something which uses art, assets and properties which no one except LucasArts or a licensed representative has a right to market, even for free.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddjobXL View Post
One quick note: When I'm talking about the Holodeck in terms of player created content I'm thinking more in line with actual Star Trek settings and NPCs that are from the main universe (content you could find in the existing game). Holmes and the rest...might be pushing it. Cryptic's got a very full plate and the function, from their perspective, of player generated content is lightening their load not adding a huge amount of additional asset creation to it.

That said...the option for a empty Holodeck grid room could work out so players so inclined could just sit down and ad lib, in text, any old kind of adventure they want to. Old fashioned MUD/MUSH roleplaying and the bland room design would help keep distractions at bay.
My inclination is to think that asset-heavy content like Holmes-ian London would be offered in one or more C-Store packs as something that clearly falls outside the mission statement of active content developers.

Ideally, you have a separate team doing C-Store content, specifically avoiding assets which would ordinarily be developed for the game itself.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I will be soley dissapointed in any player created content that does not try it's damndest to convince me that a mop head on a string or a pancake thrown across the room is actually a strange alien lifeform.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
My inclination is to think that asset-heavy content like Holmes-ian London would be offered in one or more C-Store packs as something that clearly falls outside the mission statement of active content developers.

Ideally, you have a separate team doing C-Store content, specifically avoiding assets which would ordinarily be developed for the game itself.
It's an interesting idea. I just suspect you don't know how much effort would actually have to go into any convincing holodeck simulation of a completely different setting. Cryptic's still putting assets in place so the Klingon faction is playable...