Lt. Commander
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought it would be nice to share this here.

I don't know if you guys watch TRS, but these guys have been reviewing movies, games, comics, etc.. for a long time. They are total geeks, and are very well informed about what they speak of.

If they don't like a game, they don't hold any punches. I have seen all three of these guys totally destroy a game or a movie in their reviews.

I've been waiting for their STO review for a while now to see what they were going to say. To my surprise, all 3 of them are heaping tons of praise on this game. To be fair, it doesn't sound like any of them have gotten very far in it, but they seem to love it. Dan even said it feels like it might be "one of the best MMOs ever made."

If you are interested, the video is on their home page: http://www.totallyradshow.com/

Click the second dot on the seek bar to get to the video game segment. They review Dante's Inferno first, and then go to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks for posting that. just in case anyone wants to watch without waiting, the STO part starts are
24 minutes and 15 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 10:20 AM
One of the problems I have with reviewers at this point is most of them writing having only played through the beginning stages of the game. Most mmorpgs are fun at first. I thought EvE was amazing until I got extremely bored with it 6 months later.

I cant even see myself playing STO for that long as its just too easy to level through the game too fast.

I got my Game Informer this month and it had an article regarding STO in it. It said STO was a great game too, but it was written during Open Beta and the reviewer had barely gotten into the game at all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderReed
One of the problems I have with reviewers at this point is most of them writing having only played through the beginning stages of the game. Most mmorpgs are fun at first. I thought EvE was amazing until I got extremely bored with it 6 months later.

I cant even see myself playing STO for that long as its just too easy to level through the game too fast.

I got my Game Informer this month and it had an article regarding STO in it. It said STO was a great game too, but it was written during Open Beta and the reviewer had barely gotten into the game at all.
That's certainly valid. These guys usually do 2 games per week, and they try to keep up with all the big current releases to keep their show relevant I guess. They usually do all the big MMO releases and I think they all keep going back to WoW.

They probably won't still be playing the game after they get to the cap, and they obviously had not seen enough of the game to comment on the longevity of it, which is my biggest concern at the moment. I agree that as it is right now, there is no reason to keep paying for it. I'm giving it a couple of months, and if it looks like it's dead in the water by then, I'll most likely be cutting out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
You also have to factor in is that most of the criticism of STO comes from MMO geeks who believe the game should have been designed a certain way, have certain things in it so it fits in a certain box. Oh, and elves too.

If you approach it from a fresh angle, you enjoy it more. Especially if you never saw a lick of Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I was pleasantly surprised. They can be pretty critical of games.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
You also have to factor in is that most of the criticism of STO comes from MMO geeks who believe the game should have been designed a certain way, have certain things in it so it fits in a certain box. Oh, and elves too.

If you approach it from a fresh angle, you enjoy it more. Especially if you never saw a lick of Beta.
Wrong. I keep my mouth shut mostly, biding my time and waiting (primarily because I'm not yet RA). However, I am currently not amused with the questing system (far too few story episode quests, and all others are do x five times) nor the endgame (there isn't any; in comparison, at launch, WoW had Strat, Scholo, BRS and Ony, and in those days, those first three were 10-15 player instances, so the people who say wow's endgame was added later are idiots.) Do I think it needs to be done a certain way? No. I think mostly it needs more content in general.

On the other hand, yes I so far enjoy STO as long as I don't have to get off my ship. Ground sucks. /wrists

Also, reviewers should have the mental fortitude to shut the hell up until they've played most of the way through a game (or reached ~max level in an MMO). Reviewing 30 min or hour of a game is shallow and moronic. The original Neverwinter Nights was amazing (I think so, anyway). If I'd read a review of the first hour or two (which is essentially tutorial) I would have never played it, because reviewers are often myopic and don't realize that gameplay can change as you go through.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for letting me know that the folks on that show either have radically different tastes than mine, or are willing to render a judgement after only the most trivial of contact with a product.

My frustration is not really confined to this game. The heaps of "OMG Siege of Mirkwood = best expansion evar!!" from supposedly reputable reviewers has me in a foul mood. There are lots of game that are great for 2-6 hours. With an MMO, I'm concerned where I'll be after 10 days.