Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
imo it's still ****ing stupid that the first piece you put on that doesn't have anything to give diminishing returns with as you start at 0 doesn't give the amount it states on the item

fe i start at 0 resist i put on a +15% all mk X item and what do i get 13% resists across the board

to me thats just stupid there should be no diminishing returns on 1 item
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radge
imo it's still ****ing stupid that the first piece you put on that doesn't have anything to give diminishing returns with as you start at 0 doesn't give the amount it states on the item

fe i start at 0 resist i put on a +15% all mk X item and what do i get 13% resists across the board

to me thats just stupid there should be no diminishing returns on 1 item
The thing is, percentage resists aren't a linear scale. If you have 0% resist, and you add 1%, it reduces incoming damage by 1%. If you have 90% resist and add 1%, it reduces incoming damage by 10%, and if you have 99% resist and add 1%, it reduces incoming damage by 100%.

As such, if a + X% resist bonus item gave you a straight +X to resist values, you'd be getting exponential returns.

When it comes to percentage resists, the 1 - (1/(1+bonus)) formula doesn't give diminishing returns, it converts an exponential return into a linear return. Every point of bonus resist you add increases the 'effective hull points' of your ship by 1%, no matter whether you add 1 point or 500.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
The thing is, percentage resists aren't a linear scale. If you have 0% resist, and you add 1%, it reduces incoming damage by 1%. If you have 90% resist and add 1%, it reduces incoming damage by 10%, and if you have 99% resist and add 1%, it reduces incoming damage by 100%.

As such, if a + X% resist bonus item gave you a straight +X to resist values, you'd be getting exponential returns.

When it comes to percentage resists, the 1 - (1/(1+bonus)) formula doesn't give diminishing returns, it converts an exponential return into a linear return. Every point of bonus resist you add increases the 'effective hull points' of your ship by 1%, no matter whether you add 1 point or 500.
Emphasizing this, because it really does explain a much better formula for them to use. If I were a math person, I'd try and state how exactly it factors into everything... but, I'm just a technician. Only thing I need to know about it is that the formula works, and it works in a logical fashion.

It's both more and less complicated then people make it out to be (depending on how hard you're getting into the math).