Lt. Commander
Hello,

I just finished "Divide et Impera" and I'm a bit puzzled. After clearing the first room, finding no WMDs there and reading in the Romulan computer that the place was all about discovering Undine, I was quite sure what was going to happen.

The problem is, the mission was a one way road and I had no alternative to outsmart Zelle/8472. Why? In "The Defector" Picard finds an option to do both: Make sure, the Federation is safe AND prepare to doublecross the bad guy's plot. I think one should have the option to end the mission prematurely and not to force the player to walk right into the trap. (I don't mean beaming up and dropping the assignment)

I know, this mission may be important for the overall story arc. But it is really unsatisfying to be forced to do all the wrong things for the wrong reasons and help the bad guy win without wanting to. In interviews Craig talks so much about giving the players choice and how important it is. Well, I feel, if you can not mount a mutiny against what are clearly immoral orders, than the game does not allow for much choice at all. And why the heck am I rewarded by Starfleet with loot and merit for almost certainly igniting a second war front?

Sorry, that was really a lowpoint so far regarding storytelling. And so far it was surprisingly good!

Regards,
Rachel
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Good post, check out and contribute at the recurring missions thread linked below
Lt. Commander
# 3 Epic Failure.
02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
This mission was an ABSOLUTE AND EPIC FAILURE from a storyline and continuity standpoint.

As the OP pointed out, not only was the "twist" painfully evident after clearing the first room, but the player is given NO opportunity to exercise the proper moral decision any starfleet officer would make. I found the actions necessary to complete the mission to be completely contrary to the core principals of star trek in general, and the UFP in particular.

Despite obvious evidence that the facility was not a military target, the player is never given the chance to refuse orders or find a different solution. In order to continue the main story line, the player MUST complete the mission, and is thus railroaded into actions that most players see as behavior contrary to established cannon.

I understand that as an MMO (or videogame in general) interaction is heavily weighed towards combat, but there is a distinct difference between blasting countless klingons who are attacking you, and the wholesale slaughter of medical and science personnel who are damn near defenseless.

Re-write or scrub this mission from the storyline!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
how bout the vulcan ambassador mission where you aren't given the chance to believe the klingons and cooperate or even ask for proof on thier part. No you have to attack the klingons knowing full well they are right.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I would definately like more options for this Episode. I didn't think that she was an Undine, but I did think she had some kind of personal vendetta against the Romulans. I also expected some major reprecussions from this mission, but haven't encountered them yet. I was furious when she revealed what she was. Furious at being duped.

I'd like the option to refuse to further obey her orders and arrest her. I'm sure Starfleet Regs would allow this, given the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Aye, I agree with the OP. This mission and ones like it, really need some kind of allowance for an 'alternate path.' It's just a big part of Star Trek, IMO, to be able to find a morally acceptable solution (or not, but to have the CHOICE), to sticky situations like this. That would make this game a lot better, in my own eyes, and a lot 'truer' to Trek, also in my own eyes.

I realize that this is something that may require the implementation of new systems to allow for a branch point, but I have to say -- please, PLEASE consider putting the time into creating such a system. I understand that this multiplies the work needed for an arc, but we don't need a whole tree of options, really -- just having a single alternate for missions like this would add a great deal. As for 'wasting' content because people only see one of the two endings -- isn't that what alts are for? I myself have played through the same missions already multiple times. Trust me, the alternate paths will not go to waste!

I see it as a hope for the future, but I sure hope you give it some real consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks, it's good to know, that I'm not the only one having trouble with the storyline.

Is there by any chance a Dev willing to shed some light on the rationale behind the mission and if we can look forward to any changes in the way stories like this and the P'Jem story (good point btw) are told?

I could imagine that the motivation behind the storyline is some contemporal analogy. I do not want to start a political flame war in any way, but I could imagine that the script was supposed to mirror some events from 2003 involving a claim to the existence of WMDs. That would at least be comprehensible. Again, please I do not want to ignite political controversy as such.

I am just looking for a motive for why the story is there in the game, especially, if as JonBuck pointed out, the storyline is not picked up in later missions. That in my opinion should be a perfect prerequisite to allow for multiple (at least two) ways to finish the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2010, 06:28 AM
** SPOLIER **

Perhaps the mission could be modified so the crates "drop" a stack of the drug the Romulans are developing which can then be used on Zelle in the first room after speaking to the Romulan Computer.

It could give two "Green" options - either the "Where are the weapons" (which steps the mission along as it does now) or "Detail the anti-Undine Medications" (which advises they need to be administered to suspected Undine which force them into their own form, followed by a mention from your Sci BOff that the drug appears to be genuine and benign to non-Undine, and then Zelle "commanding" you to not follow through with this lunacy).

If you dose Zelle you get the Undine fight early and skip the rest of the ground-based portion.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Hell, it could be as easy as staffing the station with centurions instead of helpless doctors, nurses and research scientists!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2010, 09:26 AM
My thoughts exactly, the whole second part of the mission (right after no evidence being found in the first room) is too narrow for the moral and ethical complexities seen in countless Star Trek episodes (The danger of a mission inside romulan territory not withstanding).

So please Cryptic team, on other occasions you made such a good and enjoyable gaming experience, why such obvious misgivings?