Lt. Commander
# 21
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
I use phaser cannons and turret for the disable proc.

Tractor beam is the one ability I do not have that I would consider slotting in, situationally. Given the usefulness of it however, and the amount of healing I do with both healing boff abilities, HE wins out right now.
you need the ability to finish wounded opponents off, at least 2 people in the group should have tractor beams

the quicker you kill them, the less damage you take
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digglez
you need the ability to finish wounded opponents off, at least 2 people in the group should have tractor beams

the quicker you kill them, the less damage you take
I've considered that. With more people running with useful abilities, a couple of them could spare tractor however... anyone that runs from battle with me on them with cannons generally doesn't get far.

Remember that part of my doctrine is to choose where the fight happens, so in general they have less avenues of egress.

The situational usefulness of keeping the team alive > sometimes getting a kill that would otherwise get away.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd seriously use hazard system and emitter stuff instead of sensor gear.

Wasn't it sensor array that let you see things better too? not sensor probes, at least sensA affects sensor scan and I think when I run sensor array consoles over sensor probes my passive detection is better, then again not everything in this game makes much sense.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockeryangel
I'd seriously use hazard system and emitter stuff instead of sensor gear.

Wasn't it sensor array that let you see things better too? not sensor probes, at least sensA affects sensor scan and I think when I run sensor array consoles over sensor probes my passive detection is better, then again not everything in this game makes much sense.
I'm testing it. you can make private pvp instances now, so i'll be using that.

I'm going to be using different types of consoles and be learning how and when detection happens.

I want some hard numbers.

Basically, the question I want to answer is :

"Can a stealth detection based player with aux maxed detect a stealthing KDF ship with aux low?"

If not, then something probably needs to be looked at. The lowest stealth setting should not be more effective than the highest available detect setting. The problem is right now we don't know what these numbers on the powers translate to. (+x perception stealth) ?!

As for consoles and dish, I don't know. Sensor array is a second-tier sensor. There is sensor uh, field and array? Two different areas of specialization. Sensor is the base skill that affects them both. I have to admit that I'm not really solid on these things yet, despite the amount of time I have put into this.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm in T2 now, stealth detection is difficult, timer on sensor scan is not quick enough.. 1 min 30 seconds. I usually know where the Klingons lurk and still a crapshoot. I can however say that I never sit with the so called fear about the alpha attack.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I play a science ship and maxed out my sensor skills and have sensor oriented deflector and a couple consoles. Never has my passive detection gotten me anything past 4-5km, even with full power to aux. Now, sensor scan can really up that significantly, at least for the 15s it lasts. But I've never been able to test anything definitively either, although I believe there may be some random factor to it also.

My point is simply that you probably aren't going to get much at all, definitely not at tier 1, from sensor consoles and deflectors, and especially if you aren't in a science ship. A science ship at T2 can probably expect passive detection around 2-3km, whereas the rest are lucky if they get over 1km I think.

If you do test it I certainly want to know the numbers too, that would really be useful.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
I play a science ship and maxed out my sensor skills and have sensor oriented deflector and a couple consoles. Never has my passive detection gotten me anything past 4-5km, even with full power to aux. Now, sensor scan can really up that significantly, at least for the 15s it lasts. But I've never been able to test anything definitively either, although I believe there may be some random factor to it also.

My point is simply that you probably aren't going to get much at all, definitely not at tier 1, from sensor consoles and deflectors, and especially if you aren't in a science ship. A science ship at T2 can probably expect passive detection around 2-3km, whereas the rest are lucky if they get over 1km I think.

If you do test it I certainly want to know the numbers too, that would really be useful.
I'm trying to establish a baseline. I want to find out what factors enable or assist me in detecting cloak, and find an event horizon that I can detect it, and then adjust it forward and backward from there.

I have two goals. First, if it can be done, I want to throw that in people's faces for not trying harder. If it can't be done, I want to beat up some devs.

Everything in pvp needs a counter, stealth included.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm betting it's the 3 skills that boost Sensor Scan. Which would mean deflectors and consoles that boost those three.

Which would be:
Sensor Array
Sensors
Starship Operations

Since Ops is a factor, then having Science team buff active should give a boost.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
I'm betting it's the 3 skills that boost Sensor Scan. Which would mean deflectors and consoles that boost those three.

Which would be:
Sensor Array
Sensors
Starship Operations

Since Ops is a factor, then having Science team buff active should give a boost.
Hoping to test it this weekend. The key will be finding an event horizon where my detection works and then breaks, and then adjusting factors from there.