Lt. Commander
# 1 Torps don't fire
02-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I've had this recurring problem where my torps don't fire and the button is greyed out, even when I make sure the target is in the right arc.

Based purely on my very panicky observations while I'm figuring out how to bring down a mob quickly without torps, this seems to occur during periods of frantic mid-combat spacebar smashing. I mention this because it may help someone here isolate the problem. Maybe not.

Does anyone else find their torps go mysteriously "offline" during combat? Is it because I'm smashing my energy weapons too much? I checked my weapon energy bar and it was all good (does that even affect projectiles?) Any way I can isolate the cause to avoid it in the future?

Help, please.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2010, 12:35 AM
High Yield + plasma torps sometimes does not work. When you do these two as fast as CD allows you, you might use High Yield. At least its happening to me quite a lot. And its not like torp would get shoot down, it just triggers torp fire CD.. and you have to wait, sometimes it triggers abilitiy (so you are on ability CD) but no effect.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2010, 04:18 AM
my torpedos often refuse to fire even with autofire on, its quite annoying since it means i can't estimate thier dps since its not firing as often as it should be able to. on the other hand the burst damage is usefull so i dont want to replace my torp's with some power-draining energy weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2010, 04:25 AM
I often have the same issue with my HY and quants. This seems to occur when I try and fire them at the very last second of the buff.. say HY3.

After that the torp takes the properties / timer of the buff it self.. no longer acting like a torp launcher. Relogging really quick fixes it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2010, 04:41 AM
The "projectiles misfire" bug is not limited to torpedoes. I've seen it plenty often with mines as well. It may very well be a "lag feature" in which the client becomes desynced with the server. On multiple occasions, I'd have my mines reach cooldown, I'd mash the hotkey for them (repeatedly), watch the weapon go back into cooldown again ... and no mines deploy behind me. It's pretty darn obvious when it happens (since nothing animates when it ought to).

I'm thinking that the bugfix to this would be to have the client begin the cooldown sequence on the weapon AFTER receiving confirmation from the server that the weapon actually has deployed/launched. This would then form a "sanity check" on weapon usage to help deal with desync network lag issues.

Likewise, I leave my forward and rear phaser beam arrays on autofire. They OFTEN simply cease firing when I haven't changed targets and my target is still alive. I have to manually mash buttons to get them to start firing again. I suspect that this is related to the torpedo misfire "bug" ... which I suspect is due to a lack of a confirmation "sanity check" between client and server to verify that lag/desync issues are not throwing client/server clock ticks out of whack.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Projectile misfires are particularly frustrating when playing a Cruiser captain and using Plasmas. Nothing like lining up an enemy, or enemies, in the right position and distance to receive a face full of hot plasma, only to have nothing come out.

Hrm. That reads a lot differently than I intended.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Line View Post
The "projectiles misfire" bug is not limited to torpedoes. I've seen it plenty often with mines as well. It may very well be a "lag feature" in which the client becomes desynced with the server. On multiple occasions, I'd have my mines reach cooldown, I'd mash the hotkey for them (repeatedly), watch the weapon go back into cooldown again ... and no mines deploy behind me. It's pretty darn obvious when it happens (since nothing animates when it ought to).

I'm thinking that the bugfix to this would be to have the client begin the cooldown sequence on the weapon AFTER receiving confirmation from the server that the weapon actually has deployed/launched. This would then form a "sanity check" on weapon usage to help deal with desync network lag issues.

Likewise, I leave my forward and rear phaser beam arrays on autofire. They OFTEN simply cease firing when I haven't changed targets and my target is still alive. I have to manually mash buttons to get them to start firing again. I suspect that this is related to the torpedo misfire "bug" ... which I suspect is due to a lack of a confirmation "sanity check" between client and server to verify that lag/desync issues are not throwing client/server clock ticks out of whack.
This 'Lag Feature" is especially annoying on my Tricobalt Launcher... nothing like NOT firing a torpedo and getting a 1 minute cooldown for nothing happening.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2010, 05:24 AM
2 possible reasons.
1 Weapon energy deplted due to mass firing.
2 Some enemy ships appear to have the power to reset your cooldown timers on everything not just weapons. Only started to happen when I entered cardasian Space.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
2 possible reasons.
1 Weapon energy deplted due to mass firing.
2 Some enemy ships appear to have the power to reset your cooldown timers on everything not just weapons. Only started to happen when I entered cardasian Space.
While I'm not saying this couldn't happen; it surely isn't the reason it's happening for everyone. This bug has been around since open beta when I was doing missions in the sirius sector. It sucks trying to take out a battleship when you're down to 1 fore and after phaser beam array. Torpedoes simply will not fire sometimes. And the bug seems to have made a comeback, as it's happened to me two out of the last three days (not yesterday).
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Never had it happen until I started in Cardassian Space. Run with 2fore torp tubes as Captain and 3 as Admiral.