Lt. Commander
# 11
02-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Agreed with the OP. This mission left me feeling dirty. One of the overwhelming tenants of Star Trek in every incarnation is the idea that actions have consequence. Starfleet officers typically act in standing with their moral compass. This is just not the case here.

Ironically enough, one of the episodes shown during the SyFy Star Trek marathon celebrating the release of STO, was the TNG episode: The Pegasus...which deals with just such a moral quandry. Thankfully, Picard & Riker were able to finish the mission and get XP without going against their better judgment.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
This mission left me feeling dirty.
I'm not suprised. That's what it was supposed to do. I bet you guys hated the DS9 episode 'In the Pale Moonlight' too.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerkuman View Post
I'm not suprised. That's what it was supposed to do. I bet you guys hated the DS9 episode 'In the Pale Moonlight' too.
Then you would lose that bet. It's one of my favorite episodes. The difference with this quest is that we are not given the ability to make the choice. We either follow the script of the mission, or drop the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan_NJ View Post
Then you would lose that bet. It's one of my favorite episodes. The difference with this quest is that we are not given the ability to make the choice. We either follow the script of the mission, or drop the mission.
That's how Sisco felt when he did that mission.

The truth is that Garak was always in control, it was his element. Sisco's inputs were merely slight of hand.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I agree with this post. It was a badly written mission.

It ends up making our Captains look like Idiots and Murderers. I mean really, *I* knew something was wrong with the Vulcan, why cant my captain suspect it? You'd have to be stupid not to think something is fishy.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
at least you guys can do the mission. I have tried 10 times, and keep getting client crashes, I'm stuck in the find the command center part of it. every time the Client crashes at different places.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzhane
at least you guys can do the mission. I have tried 10 times, and keep getting client crashes, I'm stuck in the find the command center part of it. every time the Client crashes at different places.
Sounds like you're using an ATI video card. Shut off Dynamic Lighting and Post-Processing and that'll stop. I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet, but the game doesn't suffer. I haven't had a video-related crash since.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malize View Post
That's how Sisco felt when he did that mission.

The truth is that Garak was always in control, it was his element. Sisco's inputs were merely slight of hand.
I would say the whole comparison with "In The Pale Moonlight" does not work for the following reasons:
  • Sisko ultimately got what he wanted
  • Garak works what he believes are Siskos interests, not his own
  • Garak warns Sisko (suggestively) about what is going to happen if he gets involved
  • Sisko gets very upset about the Death of a dozen or so Romulans, although that may very well be the only way to save the Federadion, the Klingon Empire and probably even the Romulan Empire. That's what at the heart of the story. He does not want to utilize people in that way and would not have traded 12 lives for some trillion others, if Garak had asked him directly.

In contrast, Zelle/8472 has her own agenda and uses the player. The objective the player wants to achieve was never possible. We must fight through tons of Romulan enemies just for aiding the common Enemy. As a result there is rather more alianation between the Federation and the Romulans (actually there should be war).
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-20-2010, 05:12 AM
I agree, "Pale Moonlight" was one of the best episodes of DS9 and in my opinion that means a lot. Whereas in "Divide" we get deceived by this not very convincing enemy (and we can't even repair the damage we inflicted by capturing or killing the fiend, or at least warning the Romulans about it/her!)
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan_NJ View Post
Sounds to me like you did have a choice. Complete a mission you were morally opposed to and get rewarded for it; or refuse to play through a mission that required you to slaughter innocent scientists and sacrifice any possible reward.

So why did you all complete the mission instead of dropping it? Were the rewards and skill points really worth completing a mission that disgusted you?